duplicate post

Story: It's time to move beyond the Java..Total Replies: 6
Author Content
mbaehrlxer

Jul 23, 2006
4:32 PM EDT
this has already been published under a different title and posted here: http://lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=64973 and even that is a republication from here: http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/07/12/29OPcurve_1.html

i don't know whether to be more irritated at the repost or at computerworld copying, retitling (and not attributing) their own content...
Tracer

Jul 23, 2006
5:00 PM EDT
It's a good article, though, I have to admit. The author makes a good point.

In a nutshell, he says:

* Java and JSP was a Sun attempt to stave off Visual Basic and ASP (before PHP matured). * C# and .NET was a Microsoft attempt to stave off Java, JSP, and J2EE (before PHP matured). * The two were a reaction to each other and developers hate both. * He proposes we all just return to C++. (Ack, no, not for most developers in businesses.)

My take? PHP has matured. Go with LAPP or LAMP for almost all development in businesses, and go with C++ or just C for writing fast apps when you're an application company and when your company needs something very fast.
dcparris

Jul 23, 2006
5:01 PM EDT
Thanks for your feedback here. It was apparently posted here by 2 different editors - it's not always easy to sort out dupes that way - especially if they have been re-titled by the originating site. The 2nd editor probably did not see the original post, and when editing the re-titled article, did not know that's what it was. It's one thing if the title is a dupe; quite another story to check through the last 40-80 articles to see which ones are re-titled by the originating site. If the first editor had seen the re-titled story, it surely would have led to a different outcome.

Most of the editing is done by volunteers who have jobs and families and 'lives' to lead. It's just not all that easy to go back and check every article that's been run in the last day or two, to eliminate the dupes. We do our best - we really do. We err at times, and try to make corrections when we do. But your input is helpful. Perhaps we'll be able to figure out a way to filter out re-titled stories.

Regards, Don
grouch

Jul 23, 2006
6:14 PM EDT
In this case, even searching for 'Java' in the LXer search box doesn't help a lot. Both stories show up in the search, but with different titles, from different sources, you'd have to be actually looking for the duplicate opening line to pick the two out of the crowd. That's not something you'd normally have time to do when sifting through piles of stories to pick a handful to post. At least it may have reached some folks this time around who missed it the first time.

Scott and I will take turns flogging each other with electric weed whackers with bad ground plugs while standing in tubs of iced vinegar. It won't guarantee that we won't duplicate each other's efforts in the future, but it should make an interesting news story.
incinerator

Jul 23, 2006
11:42 PM EDT
Quoting:It's a good article, though, I have to admit. The author makes a good point.

No, I don't think so. Imho the author hasn't got the slightest clue what he's talking about. The prediction that programmers will use more assembler code alone is preposterous. With modern software getting more complex with every day, the only way that's really feasible is to pick the right language for the right project in order to reduce the LOC count as far as possible. To bad that doesn't really happen very often in the real world.

Lets have a look at C++, for example. When used wisely, C++ is a nice language you can you to reduce your LOC count drastically for almost any given project, compared to other imperative programming languages like C. However, its ability to do very low-level program "close" to the hardware give many opportunities for abuse. In the latter case, it won't reduce you LOC count and will make the code less maintainable. And people do abuse C++, just because they can.
mbaehrlxer

Jul 24, 2006
5:39 AM EDT
don and grouch,

i agree with both of you, i partly wrote the comment to vent my frustration about the original reposting/retitling at computerworld. i also can't see a way how the reposting here could have been avoided. (maybe some kind of fulltext search to find similar articles? could be useful for readers too.)

greetings, martin.
grouch

Jul 24, 2006
6:58 AM EDT
mbaehrlxer:

It's a community thing. We few, downtrodden, sorely abused (by that slave driver dcparris guy) editors depend on many sharp eyes to spot these tricks. I second Don's 'Thanks'!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!