That is great to hear.

Story: OpenOffice.org 2.0.4 - Don't BlinkTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
dsTst

Oct 06, 2006
6:07 PM EDT
One of my pet grouse with Open Office (OOWrite) was its slow initial loading time. Especially compared to the native applications such as Abiword or the windows counterpart MSWord. I thought it was because atleast a part of it was coded using java language. Or maybe because of the time it takes to load a lot of plugins in memory.

It is nice to know that they have eventually got around to tidy up the code to make it as quick as any other native application. I look forward to using the latest version of OpenOffice.org.
1c3d0g

Oct 06, 2006
8:19 PM EDT
Excellent news indeed. OOo rulez!
nalf38

Oct 07, 2006
6:00 PM EDT
The only OOo component that uses java is Base.

I would have like to hear how the office suite loaded on *Linux*, this site being called lxer.com. Did I miss that part somewhere?
dcparris

Oct 07, 2006
6:17 PM EDT
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but Debian GNU/Linux is Linux, plus the GNU utilities, so I guess that should have answered your question.
jimf

Oct 07, 2006
6:23 PM EDT
You're getting confused nalf38. Neither I nor Don use 'that other' OS :D
dcparris

Oct 07, 2006
8:42 PM EDT
I do use it on my full-time job - not my choice, but oh well. The nice thing in this case is that it gave me the opportunity to test OOo against MS Office. I never expected OOo to actually beat MS Office loading. What a hoot!
jimf

Oct 07, 2006
9:12 PM EDT
Was just speaking of that for our personal useage Don. To be honest, I also have a reference system running for customer support, and access to MS Office. A necessary evil for the moment I guess.
tuxchick2

Oct 08, 2006
9:43 AM EDT
Cross-platform support is going to be a necessary evil forever and ever. Any network or sysadmins who insist on specializing in a single operating system are not going to be equipped to make good decisions, or even to be very useful. It sucks rocks to have to stay Windows-literate, but that's the way it is. Anyway we need more smart, well-educated IT persons doing windows, instead of more brain-dump MCSEs. I think the single worst thing to come out of Redmond is the notion that barely-trained monkeys can be network and system administrators.

dcparris

Oct 08, 2006
9:48 AM EDT
Eeee! Eeee! Ooh! Ooh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Sorry, just felt like monkeying around.
tuxchick2

Oct 08, 2006
10:39 AM EDT
I knew your LXer photo had extensive air-brushing, I knew it!

jimf

Oct 08, 2006
10:48 AM EDT
> Anyway we need more smart, well-educated IT persons doing windows

tuxchick,

I've developed a theory on this :D

Since companies are most all $$$ oriented, I've seen most of them, skimp on the support end of it after paying all those nice MS license fees. In the smaller outfits I've worked with, they're lucky if they have a MCSE. It usually gets passed off to Engineering. I suspect that the lower cost of Linux software and hardware lets them at least think about properly trained IT personnel.
dcparris

Oct 08, 2006
11:32 AM EDT
> I knew your LXer photo had extensive air-brushing, I knew it!

You might enjoy my family photo album: http://images.google.com/images?q=orangutan&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-...

:-D
dek

Oct 08, 2006
12:21 PM EDT
>> my family photo album:

Hmm Nice looking family!! Uhh Uhhhhhhhh Uhgg!! (Orangutan - speak for "who da babe??") ;-)
tuxchick2

Oct 08, 2006
12:44 PM EDT
Oh Don... which one is your wife? Or should I just ask her?
dcparris

Oct 08, 2006
8:51 PM EDT
> Oh Don... which one is your wife? Or should I just ask her?

She's the cute one! :-p I actually love orangutans. They might be mad at me if they knew I compared them to MCSEs though.
jimf

Oct 08, 2006
9:11 PM EDT
That's unfair, they are far smarter than MCSEs.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!