Bilingual text editing

Story: OpenOffice.org 2.0.4 - Don't BlinkTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
lsatenstein

Oct 07, 2006
7:12 PM EDT
Perhaps it is me, perhaps it is OO, but I work in Quebec Canada, where documents are released in the two languages (French and English). Paragraphs are usually alternating with the two languages. The awkwardness to switch languages between french and english is driving me nuts.

So, perhaps second language support could be better implemented.
1c3d0g

Oct 07, 2006
8:10 PM EDT
Tell your Government to grow up and use one language for everything. Yeah, I know that won't sit too well with the Frenchies but that's their problem.
dcparris

Oct 07, 2006
9:05 PM EDT
Isatenstein: I've never attempted to write in dual languages, so I can't really address that. I would suggest working closely with the OOo folks to address that issue.

1c3d0g: You know that's not a solution - at least not a realistic one. Besides, you may have just insulted one of the "Frenchies". Gee, wouldn't you feel sorta silly in that case. Besides, I'm in North Carolina, and it seems like almost everything is in English/Spanish around here these days.
jimf

Oct 07, 2006
9:25 PM EDT
> everything is in English/Spanish

Soon to be Spanish/Spanish to suite our new masters.
jezuch

Oct 08, 2006
5:28 AM EDT
And what about European Union? Eleven official languages is just a bit more than two :)
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 08, 2006
7:58 AM EDT
>Soon to be Spanish/Spanish to suite our new masters.<

Aww poor little Jim..

Wouldn't you rather be mastered by Mexicans than French? All the Mexicans want is a better life for them and their family. Plus they are willing to work all the jobs you and I would never take anyway.

Just about every Mexican I have ever worked with or had working for me was a decent human being, I cannot say that for the French I have met but I do not judge the whole on meeting only a part.
jdixon

Oct 08, 2006
8:18 AM EDT
> Plus they are willing to work all the jobs you and I would never take anyway.

Oh, I'm perfectly willing to do those jobs. Just not at the salary they're willing to pay.
jimf

Oct 08, 2006
8:34 AM EDT
> Just about every Mexican I have ever worked with or had working for me was a decent human being

Absolutely, but the ones I worked along side of were US Citizens, and are just as against the illegal 'invasion' as I am.
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 08, 2006
8:54 AM EDT
I have worked with both, which really doesn't matter anyway.

I wonder how the Assyrians, Gauls, Germanic Tribes, Britons, Incas, Aztecs and a thousand other cultures felt about it too.

It has been happening forever and it will continue forever as well.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!