finally he's said it

Story: Why I'm sticking with Novell's Linux desktopTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
incinerator

Nov 07, 2006
12:44 AM EDT
"I've said it before, and I'll say it again. What I like isn't proprietary or open-source software. What I like is software that works, and works well."

Now we all know sjvn is just one of these marketingdroids who doesn't care about open source of Free Software, at all. I wonder why he hasn't metamorphed into a mac fanboi yet.
rijelkentaurus

Nov 07, 2006
1:19 AM EDT
I have to say that I am rather disturbed by that also. Some things just matter more than convenience, and (contrary to many people) I think it's better to "suffer" with a less capable program (doing what you can via programming or feedback or money to make it better) than it is to use a proprietary program that prevents you from doing anything but line the pockets of the owners of the software.

I do think that the more important part, however, is adherence to open standards in the data format. I could stomach people using Word a lot easier if they could save in ODF. That doesn't make Free Software unimportant, and it doesn't mean that Free Software shouldn't be the ultimate goal.

I usually enjoy sjvn's columns. SUSE is a great distribution, but they have cursed themselves in my eyes. I am all for raping the distro of anything usable and leaving the corpse to rot by the side of the road. Interesting thing, can anyone tell me how many distros there are based on SUSE? There are so many based on Debian/Fedora/Red Hat that I lose count, and there are derivatives of the derivatives of the derivatives. I can even name several based on Slackware and Gentoo, but I can't think of one based on SUSE. I guess there must be...right? I think that speaks volumes about SUSE and the rest of the Linux world, and which distros really are the best.

Xubuntu for me at the moment, FYI.
salparadise

Nov 07, 2006
2:34 AM EDT
Yoper was a distro based on SuSE (IIRC). I've never come across any others.
jdixon

Nov 07, 2006
2:52 AM EDT
> ...but I can't think of one based on SUSE...

Well, in the beginning, SuSE was just Slackware with KDE, rpm, and Yast (which was, at the time, closed source). Given that, there was never any real reason to work with SuSE itself if you want to fork it's base.
rijelkentaurus

Nov 07, 2006
2:56 AM EDT
I tried Yoper at one time, and I thought it was quite good, and fast for KDE. Not as fast as PCLinuxOS, IMO, but still a lot faster than most KDE distros. It seems like development has stopped, AFAICT. I hope I'm wrong, I'm not one who says "There are too many distros." I say there can never be too many. The "market" will support what it will support, and the more there are, the quicker we can weed out the weak ones.

Thanks for the info, salparadise.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!