Linspire is free.

Story: Why Linux don’t support mp3 and selected wifi cards out of the box?Total Replies: 9
Author Content
salparadise

Nov 12, 2006
3:28 AM EDT
You don't need a subscription. It has been said that Linspire learned the lesson that "you can't sell Linux distros". Support? Maybe, but not the base distro.

Linspire is free, CNR is now free and just about everything works straight out of the box. (Wireless, NVIDIA, mp3 and so on).

On the other hand - it's stuffed with proprietary codecs, binary blobs and so on and so forth.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 12, 2006
3:35 AM EDT
I thought only CNR basic is free. The expanded CNR that holds DVD, 3D video drivers, etcetera was still a paid subscription.
dinotrac

Nov 12, 2006
7:19 AM EDT
>I thought only CNR basic is free. The expanded CNR that holds DVD, 3D video drivers, etcetera was still a paid subscription.

Hmmm. That might not be a bad business model...Free stuff is free and non-free stuff isn't.
Egon_Spengler

Nov 12, 2006
8:46 AM EDT
Linspire is NOT free. The "community" version, Freespire is the putatively free as in beer version. It most assuredly is NOT free as in freedom by ANY stretch of the imagination.
salparadise

Nov 12, 2006
10:04 AM EDT
Ah yes, my mistake. Was getting Freespire and Linspire mixed up.

Apologies.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 12, 2006
10:34 AM EDT
> Linspire is NOT free.

I know. We all know. I was talking about free as in beer. I thought that was obvious and didn't need pointing out in *every* thread.
Egon_Spengler

Nov 12, 2006
1:21 PM EDT
> I was talking about free as in beer.

Linspire is NOT free as in beer. USD 50 for the iso download, USD 60 for box.
dcparris

Nov 12, 2006
2:48 PM EDT
There are either two versions of Freespire, or a basic version that is completely libre, to which one must add the non-libre stuff. Based on my e-mails with Carmony (and subsequent visits to the website), I thought there was one version that was totally libre, and one that included the non-libre drivers, etc. And the CNR client has been made libre, but you still need to pay for the subscription service. Linspire did this to appeal to those who prefer to run only libre software.

Linspire was trying to appeal to the Free Software 'veggans', as Carmony likes to refer to the purists.
dinotrac

Nov 12, 2006
3:18 PM EDT
Rev -

The guy should get some credit for trying to advance Linux without leaving the community behind. He won't though. Seems free software types like to see people using Windows.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 12, 2006
4:07 PM EDT
> Linspire is NOT free as in beer. USD 50 for the iso download, USD 60 for box.

I was referring to the CRN basic service. Which is free as in beer. Reread the second post in this thread :-)

Sorry for all the confusion.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!