Novell tells OpenOffice to fork off

Story: Linux Information Project defends Novell-Microsoft pactTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
henke54

Dec 05, 2006
10:04 AM EDT
Quoting:NOVELL HAS announced more fruit from its Microsoft collaboration. It is planning to fork off OpenOffice so that it supports Vole's Open XML.

According to Groklaw, the software will still default to the Open Document Format but seems to have subheadings that point to OpenXML.

Groklaw seems to think it is getting clearer what Microsoft has got out of its licensing deal with Novell.

Volish sales people can now tell corporate customers that they do not need to switch to Linux to run the Open Document Format which is being demanded by various US government bodies, Groklaw says.

More here. µ
http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=36164 http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20061204130954610

exwintech

Dec 05, 2006
10:12 AM EDT
It's starting to look like, if you look behind the reasoning of that, as if Microsoft's taking yet another angle on getting wider approval, maybe including W3C, of its XML format. They seem to be exceeding miffed about OpenDoc having an ISO rating, so are doing whatever they can to get, or to seem to have, wider "official" approval...

Regards, Dave.
herzeleid

Dec 05, 2006
10:52 AM EDT
Looking at this from another angle, ooo has been able to read/write ms office formats, a really useful ability as it turns out. So really, adding the ability to read/write the next ms format is a logical progression....

Still withholding judgment for now.
tuxchick

Dec 05, 2006
10:58 AM EDT
Three things stand out for me:

1. Microsoft is involved 2. Microsoft's and Novell's public statements conflict 3. Such bits and pieces of their agreements as are released publicly, and the various public statements are all so twisty and ambiguous no one can agree on what they really mean

Like my mommy says, if it looks and smells like dog doo, don't try to tell people it's chocolate pudding.

**edit**

Oh yeah, and don't forget how deeply Microsoft is interfering with the Massachusetts state government because of ODF, to the point of trying to gut the state's IT department and transfer all decision-making to bought-n-paid for elected officials.
bigg

Dec 05, 2006
2:06 PM EDT
Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I think Microsoft has a very good reason to be interoperable. Everyone has free access to the opendocument format. Not everyone has access to MS's formats.

True, they can lock people into their software, but in a world with information sharing, they are also locking themselves out of many markets. What's easier, for the Office user to ask the OOo user to drop a few hundred bucks on Office (which may not be available to the OOo user) or for the Office user to download OOo?

Furthermore, think about companies that run both Linux and Windows. Should all computers have one format (OOo) or is it better to have mixed formats? How about government users? How about international document sharing? How about sharing with third-world users for whom $10 is a lot of money, let alone whatever is the cost of Office?

I think MS has a very good incentive to be completely interoperable as soon as possible, playing no games with customers. It's not like there will be a flood of users to OOo just because they are no longer locked in with file formats.
tuxchick

Dec 05, 2006
2:43 PM EDT
"Microsoft has a very good reason to be interoperable." Quite true. So what's stopping them? They can use the exact same FOSS code and same open standards, like ODF, as everyone else. They don't need tricksy deals with companies like Novell to be allowed to play, and they certainly don't need to issue vague patent threats against the very community they now pretend to be cooperating with.

Dog doo all the way, ho ho ho!
rijelkentaurus

Dec 05, 2006
3:22 PM EDT
>Dog doo all the way, ho ho ho!

Agreed. The last thing MS needs to do is to introduce yet another default format to confuse things. They could just use ODF or open up the DOC format. Why don't they?
jimf

Dec 05, 2006
3:44 PM EDT
> Why don't they?

Lol, dog's don't think, they just doo...
djohnston

Dec 05, 2006
4:12 PM EDT
"Should all computers have one format (OOo) or is it better to have mixed formats?"

OOo isn't a format, it's an office suite. The formats are odf and openXML. The difference is that anyone can implement a word processor to read and write odf format. The "open"XML specification, which is introduced with Office2007, and is the default "save as" format, isn't even readable by previous versions of MSWord.

How's that for interoperability?
bigg

Dec 05, 2006
4:18 PM EDT
I'm not saying they will do the interoperability thing, but they should. I don't think they necessarily have sinister motives. They definitely do not have a monopoly on the office suite market.
tuxchick

Dec 05, 2006
4:18 PM EDT
"How's that for interoperability?"

Innovative!
Abe

Dec 05, 2006
4:54 PM EDT
Quoting:I don't think they necessarily have sinister motives
Bigg,

No offense, but how long have you been in IT?
jsusanka

Dec 05, 2006
6:00 PM EDT
I don't understand the whole thing personally - wouldn't it just be a lot easier and a lot less trouble for all involved if microsoft just added odf support in their product.

I guess that would leave a lot of lawyers with nothing to do and ballmer would have to keep his trap shut.

tuxchick

Dec 05, 2006
6:02 PM EDT
"I guess that would leave a lot of lawyers with nothing to do and ballmer would have to keep his trap shut. "

What a great sentence for demonstrating the difference between "possible" and "probable".
salparadise

Dec 05, 2006
10:03 PM EDT
Ah yes, Novells new fork of OO for Windows. I tried it yesterday. A 2 page document made in OO and saved as .doc rendered as a 138 page document in Word 2007. Saved as Office 2003 xml wouldn't open at all in Word 2007 reporting a "corrupted table". It was a brief test I grant you. Never-the-less, not a very promising one.
salparadise

Dec 06, 2006
2:34 AM EDT
I need to further qualify the above statement.

The file I tried was created on OpenOffice on Linux.

So, this morning I recreated the document on this Novell OO for Windows release. Again, a two page document with a table and three frames containing text. When saved as a Word 2003 xml file the formatting was pretty badly mangled. When saved as a Word 97/XP .doc it opened in Word 2007 perfectly.

This really is a step forward in compatibility, even if you do have to register with Novell and download this "special" version from them to run on Windows in order to achieve it.

As to whether you should support this is another matter entirely.

I suspect "our" counter arguments should be clear and easy to understand else "we" will appear to be being petty and stubborn and this will damage the image of the Linux community.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!