Additional installers for KDE and XFCE

Story: Debian Etch: So Easy A Newbie Can Do ItTotal Replies: 17
Author Content
Laika

Dec 22, 2006
10:22 AM EDT
>>there is no indication for new users as to which graphical environment they will get, nor any way to change the default option. It's either GNOME or nothing.>>

The weekly builds of Debian-Installer now seem to have two new customized versions of the first installer CD image available -- one for KDE and one for XFCE. So now you can just pick the image of your choice and you should be able to install a fully functional Debian Etch desktop without needing to download anything extra after the installation. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/12/msg000...
dcparris

Dec 22, 2006
1:50 PM EDT
Thanks for this! I wonder if they'll do something similar for the net installer? I mean, make it where you can choose your GUI?
swbrown

Dec 22, 2006
4:57 PM EDT
> I wonder if they'll do something similar for the net installer? I mean, make it where you can choose your GUI?

They added these to tasksel so instead of the checkmark GNOME "Desktop" task, there'll be several to choose from this time.
dcparris

Dec 22, 2006
6:54 PM EDT
Cool. My NetInstall only showed [ ] Graphical Desktop Environment (no mention of which one. I'm glad to hear they're offering options.
swbrown

Dec 22, 2006
7:44 PM EDT
It's only in Sid at the moment I believe, tasksel 2.59 needs migrated.
dcparris

Dec 22, 2006
9:30 PM EDT
Aha! You speak with such authority. Are you an official Debianista?
swbrown

Dec 22, 2006
10:36 PM EDT
No, just a non-DD Free Software programmer who packages stuff for Debian.

Update: I looked into it and they'll be providing it via aptitude's task list, it'll be a hidden task in tasksel. Just don't select 'Desktop' during install, then select the "KDE desktop environment" task in aptitude.
azerthoth

Dec 23, 2006
8:50 AM EDT
Then its nothing new.

aptitide install (kde, kde-core, gnome, gnome-core, fluxbox, xfce4, ect ect ad naseum) has been around for a while.

Either you have to allow the default install fo its thing and add this these in after or you have to break out of the auto installer at the "use network mirrors" question.
dcparris

Dec 24, 2006
11:02 AM EDT
It would be easier/nicer for end-users if they simply offered 4 GUI options, as in: Graphical Environment: [ ] Enlightenment [*] GNOME (as Default) [ ] KDE [ ] XFce

Then continue with the various server options.
jimf

Dec 24, 2006
11:10 AM EDT
Don,

I agree, and, that's been what most people I know would prefer. You could also do whatever multiple choices you want.
swbrown

Dec 24, 2006
8:00 PM EDT
> aptitide install (kde, kde-core, gnome, gnome-core, fluxbox, xfce4, ect ect ad naseum) has been around for a while.

There's a substantial difference between meta packages and tasks.
swbrown

Dec 24, 2006
8:02 PM EDT
> It would be easier/nicer for end-users if they simply offered 4 GUI options, as in: Graphical Environment: [ ] Enlightenment [*] GNOME (as Default) [ ] KDE [ ] XFce

For this kind of thing, they prefer people use aptitude. There's just no room in tasksel to select /which/ email server for "email server", /which/ database for "database", /which/ web server for "Web server", /which/ DNS server for "DNS server", etc.. They pick sensible defaults if you let them, otherwise they let you be specific later.
dcparris

Dec 25, 2006
9:02 AM EDT
I'm only suggesting it for the GUIs, not the rest of the system.
jimf

Dec 25, 2006
9:29 AM EDT
> For this kind of thing, they prefer people use aptitude.

You say 'they', but I'm seeing an awful of of Debian users who want this kind of choice (specifically) for a GUI in the installer. I could also say some really negative things about the usability of aptitude, but, I'll save that for another time.
azerthoth

Dec 25, 2006
1:03 PM EDT
Well, there is a difference between aptitude the interface and aptitude command line install. Aptitude on its own and relying on the "interface" is just a fast method to undo all the money you have sunk into rogain.

"aptitude" on command line though is slightly more powerfull than apt-get, especially in the way it resolves dependancies.
swbrown

Dec 26, 2006
1:00 AM EDT
> You say 'they', but I'm seeing an awful of of Debian users who want this kind of choice (specifically) for a GUI in the installer.

The problem is you'll wind up with people that feel as strongly about the choice of (for example) email server, and the question will be "If for the GUI, why not for the email server?" and then there'll be people saying "But we intentionally don't offer a choice here as to not confuse those that don't know the difference, that's what the manual package selection option is for". So, the discussion will wind up on "Why do you want to select something that isn't the default, but refuse to do so?".

Maybe this means the manual package selection option needs to be retooled, reorganized, or better described.

> "aptitude" on command line though is slightly more powerfull than apt-get, especially in the way it resolves dependancies.

Note that in the case with Etch, KDE is a hidden tasksel task you can select with aptitude as well as a metapackage. The task is much more aligned what what people want when they say "I want a KDE desktop" as it installs the KDE metapackage as well as a whole mess of other software that isn't "KDE" proper, but makes for a nice KDE desktop experience. I.e., software "using KDE" rather than "part of KDE".
jimf

Dec 26, 2006
3:24 AM EDT
> you'll wind up with people that feel as strongly about the choice of (for example) email server, and the question will be "If for the GUI, why not for the email server?"

A very big difference between an app and a GUI meta package. Also, for desktop users, that meta is arguably the major key to how they use the distro. I'm also assuming that users who just want a mail server have a lot more experience in doing that.
jimf

Dec 26, 2006
4:33 PM EDT
Just as a reference from this weeks Debian news:

"Etch-CD with KDE as default Desktop. Joey Hess [21]announced that he has created an special [22]etch installation [23]CD image which installs [24]KDE as the default desktop environment. The same is possible with the original CD images when using more than one installation medium or installing using a mirror [25]server. This is because Debian placed the [26]GNOME packages on the first installation medium rather than the KDE ones."

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!