"Grotty"?

Story: Linux: Chasing Down Data CorruptionTotal Replies: 45
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Dec 29, 2006
1:33 PM EDT
Must be a Web2.0 term.

The closest I've seen to that is "gruddy".
jimf

Dec 29, 2006
1:45 PM EDT
I hadn't heard the term 'Grotty' in years.

I did find the mail list to be enlighting as to how the group works with Linus, but, I have to admit that I blanked out on the first line of code...
tuxchick

Dec 29, 2006
2:32 PM EDT
Grotty is a very old word, familiar to people who read actual books. Yes, books, those funky old paper thingies.

cr

Dec 29, 2006
2:39 PM EDT
bob: 'grotty', short for 'grotesque', is a pejorative used in one of the Beatles films, A Hard Days' Night.

http://www.uta.fi/FAST/BIE/BI2/beatles.html
jimf

Dec 29, 2006
2:44 PM EDT
Yeah TC, I remember reading books ;-)

Remembered the meaning, but had to look up the derivation. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/grotty

I even remember reading the Ezra Pound quote ;D
jezuch

Dec 29, 2006
4:16 PM EDT
Ahhhh, the smell of long debug sessions... Priceless.
richo123

Dec 29, 2006
5:35 PM EDT
Grotty is very common in Australian slang...
dcparris

Dec 29, 2006
6:35 PM EDT
It's common in the UK as well. At least, my Ma's husband uses it frequently. They live just North of London. I can't say I heard it much down in Cornwall though.
dinotrac

Dec 29, 2006
7:08 PM EDT
>It's common in the UK as well.

Well, of course. Everybody over there knows you've got to grotty before you can drink it.
dcparris

Dec 29, 2006
7:27 PM EDT
Groan!
dinotrac

Dec 30, 2006
3:47 AM EDT
>Groan!

What's the matter, Rev? Rheumatiz gettin' to ya?
dcparris

Dec 30, 2006
6:50 AM EDT
Well, around these parts (LXerville), it's more likely called dinotiz. :-D
dinotrac

Dec 30, 2006
6:55 AM EDT
> it's more likely called dinotiz. :-D

I've certainly been called worse. ;0)

So I don't forget --- Happy New Year, Rev, and same to any and or all Revlets.

And, of course, to all Lxites.
cr

Dec 30, 2006
7:02 AM EDT
> Well, of course. Everybody over there knows you've got to grotty before you can drink it.

Not true. If you're running Linux, you can just getty.
dinotrac

Dec 30, 2006
7:51 AM EDT
>Not true. If you're running Linux, you can just getty.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
dek

Dec 30, 2006
10:50 AM EDT
Of course, under Windoze. should you have it, you can just putty,

(Sorry, dino, I couldn't resist!)

PS. Putty is a connectivity tool with several different protocols. telnet and ssh among them.
rijelkentaurus

Dec 30, 2006
11:20 AM EDT
>And, of course, to all Lxites.

To you as well!

>Of course, under Windoze. should you have it, you can just putty,

You're so silly!

8-0
cr

Dec 30, 2006
12:23 PM EDT
> Of course, under Windoze. should you have it, you can just putty,

I don't think I could drink it that thick. It sounds too much like something that would leak out of that four-color nappie to me.
dinotrac

Dec 30, 2006
12:27 PM EDT
All --

H E L P M E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody forgot to lock the door at the asylum.
dek

Dec 30, 2006
5:59 PM EDT
> Somebody forgot to lock the door at the asylum.

Is THAT why you're out amongst us? :-)
dinotrac

Dec 30, 2006
6:13 PM EDT
>Is THAT why you're out amongst us? :-)

How else could it happen?
tuxchick

Dec 30, 2006
6:21 PM EDT
This is the asylum. Mwahaaahaaaa.
azerthoth

Dec 30, 2006
6:23 PM EDT
"The strength of the pun is in the OY!!!! of the beholder" -Spider Robinson
dinotrac

Dec 30, 2006
6:29 PM EDT
> the OY!!!! of the beholder"

Does no one here have mercy? Will not a single Frenchman say "thank you"?
tuxchick

Dec 30, 2006
6:32 PM EDT
We're too busy writhing in agony.
jdixon

Dec 31, 2006
8:16 AM EDT
Happy New Year to anyone who survives the nuclear pun-out. :)
cr

Dec 31, 2006
8:42 AM EDT
Pun my word, 'tis the punic-inducing punmanship here, present and punding, which requires a respunse, though I'll admit to a punchant for it.
jimf

Dec 31, 2006
8:53 AM EDT
> Pun my word, 'tis the punic-inducing punmanship here, present and punding, which requires a respunse, though I'll admit to a punchant for it.

Now that's truly grotty ;-)
dek

Dec 31, 2006
11:29 AM EDT
This thread has been so punderfullly punny!! It's great to see all the puns punted back and forth.

Here's one of my all time favorites: What is the difference between a Pun and a Fart?

Ans: a pun is a shift of wit. A fart is a wift of s__t!
dcparris

Dec 31, 2006
11:57 AM EDT
Oh, that stinks!
cr

Dec 31, 2006
12:51 PM EDT
Yes, it is pungent.
dinotrac

Dec 31, 2006
12:54 PM EDT
>Yes, it is pungent.

Rev, I think that remark makes clear that cr must be expunged from the rolls.
jdixon

Dec 31, 2006
1:18 PM EDT
> Yes, it is pungent.

Well, I'd put an re at the beginning, and reverse the n and g, but...
dcparris

Dec 31, 2006
3:14 PM EDT
Have we nothing better to do on New Years Eve than post messages to some news forum? I mean, shouldn't we all be out at the balls, bars, and house parties?

No! Not us! We're LXers!
cr

Dec 31, 2006
4:16 PM EDT
My two sons (I'm a custodial single father) are busy about the house, enjoying the tail end of their vacation. We've got the ginger ale (I never drink alcohol when I'm on duty -- I'll be on duty for another 5 years with these guys) chilling for 12:00; the fruitcake's already cut. I'm distracting myself here and elsewhere on the Net between stabs at solving an installation problem (MEPIS; grub is being ornery in a way I haven't seen before) on a newly-acquired roadsider PC. Periodically I go pester one or the other kid enough that he appreciates the relative silence when I leave the room.

I'm where I should be tonight: with family. Happy New Year. Blessed be.
dek

Dec 31, 2006
5:02 PM EDT
Since snow hit where I am today and effectively everything down. I'm home alone. So where better to be than punning away at my Linux box with my LXer buddies!! (No cracks about how you know why I'm alone, please!! Or I will write some even more pungent puns! Shaggy dog stories, anyone?) ;-)

Happy New Year to all and may your boxes always be up!

Don K,
techiem2

Dec 31, 2006
5:42 PM EDT
/me boxes up dek

:)

cr

Dec 31, 2006
5:51 PM EDT
You're late, techiem2 -- Boxing Day was Tuesday.
tuxchick

Dec 31, 2006
6:36 PM EDT
meh. My significant-other-human is out fighting a big bad fire, so my quiet evening at home plans have been changed to very quiet evening at home. Me, a plate of treats, two snoring cats, and a stray steer no one has claimed yet. If he's still here tomorrow, I'm naming him Rumproast and slapping my brand on him.
cr

Dec 31, 2006
6:56 PM EDT
Somehow I can't see a steer learning to use the litter-box. Those cats won't stay snoring, methinks.

One kid's bunked out already. The other is grimly hanging on in IRC; I might go pester him in-channel.

Happy New Year to you and your SOH, TC.
techiem2

Dec 31, 2006
7:01 PM EDT
hehe.

I'm chatting on irc and eating double stuff mint oreos. :) Wild geek parties!
cr

Dec 31, 2006
7:12 PM EDT
Heh. I can remember welcoming in the new year on IRC a time or two... and on DLX multiline BBSes, and 2-meter repeaters, and CB... I think there's a Billy Joel line that applies here: "...better than drinking alone".

Happy New Year to you too, Techiem2. you too, Dek, if you're still by the channel.
dek

Dec 31, 2006
8:08 PM EDT
Yep I'm still here trying to think of more Puns. I think I'm punned out for the night!

Good luck to all in the new year. It's stll an hour away where I am and I might not make it. Won't be the first time and probably won't be the last. ;-) Singularly unromantic, that's what I am!

I've really enjoyed the LXer community since I became a part of it. Thanks to all who work so hard to make it possible. You know who you are!!

Don K.

jdixon

Dec 31, 2006
8:16 PM EDT
Well, I just rang in the New Year with my wife over the phone. Happy New Year to all LXer's everywhere.
dcparris

Dec 31, 2006
8:33 PM EDT
I posted my New Years wish to the front page with about 5 seconds to go before the ball dropped in Times Square - with my wife by my side. Then I got busy with all the romantic New Years celebration stuff. :-)

It's actually not a bad way to spend New Years Eve. My daughter, believe it or not, was already in bed. These young'ins - they just can't hang!
Bob_Robertson

Jan 01, 2007
4:00 PM EDT
Books? Last book I read was _Sailing The Wine-Dark Sea: Why The Greeks Matter_. A fantastic book I highly recommend.

But since I cannot pun, happy new year!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!