Celebmiseration

Story: Novell Trumpets Support for Open Source DevelopmentTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
azerthoth

Jan 05, 2007
4:23 PM EDT
Oh boy, SUSE supplants Ubuntu for the #1 slot on distro watch.

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry.

*edit* oops forgot title I think it should have been "Celebmiseration"
tuxchick

Jan 05, 2007
4:28 PM EDT
Novell trumpets, I guitars, throw in two bucks and you've got a cup of coffee.
jimf

Jan 05, 2007
4:36 PM EDT
> and you've got a cup of coffee.

Probably only instant though.
dcparris

Jan 05, 2007
5:03 PM EDT
There. Is that what you wanted?
azerthoth

Jan 05, 2007
5:08 PM EDT
Thanks DC.
herzeleid

Jan 05, 2007
5:26 PM EDT
The problem with the SuSE bashing is this, let's face it: Opensuse is a really great distro. I like it a lot better than SLED for desktop use, and on the server side, it's like having SLES for free (if you are linux savvy and don't need the official "support" you get with SLES) It's complete, mature, and has fairly new versions of most programs.

The fine folks in Nuremburg who develop and maintain the suse linux distro do not deserve to be tarred with the same brush as the Novell management Du Jour. They never asked for that, and a number of them are embarrassed to be associated with the microsoft deal.

dcparris

Jan 05, 2007
5:30 PM EDT
Azerthoth: It would have been nice to know you were talking about OpenSUSE, and not SLED/SLES. I think we should distinguish between them. People distinguish between Red Hat and Fedora, so it only makes sense to do the same in the case of SUSE/OpenSUSE.
azerthoth

Jan 05, 2007
5:58 PM EDT
On a thought, probably true. I do not hold debian in "guilt by association" with Ubuntu.

However both OpenSUSE and FC are downstream distro's officially supported by their upstream sponsors and used in development and testing of future releases of their parent. This isnt guilt, in my eyes though it show culpability.

Not that I have anything against FC or Redhat, but a second example seemed necessary.

As to the other point, I am embarrased by my employer on occasion, that still does not change the fact that they are my employer. Nor does it change that by maintaining my employment I am defacto supporting their idiocy.

OpenSUSE = SUSE = microvell. Let them be embarrassed by the association and work from within.
jimf

Jan 05, 2007
6:04 PM EDT
> I do not hold debian in "guilt by association" with Ubuntu.

Please!!! Not in the same breath, and that's 'Debian'. :D
azerthoth

Jan 05, 2007
7:17 PM EDT
I should say too that it was not an intentional oversight but accidental in nature. Just that when it was pointed out to me I made the mistake of thinking about it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!