network admin

Story: Network Security 1 and 2 Companion Guide (Cisco Networking Academy Program)Total Replies: 11
Author Content
ifthikhar_it

Jan 09, 2007
9:23 PM EDT
what are the roles of a network admin
jdixon

Jan 10, 2007
5:59 AM EDT
> what are the roles of a network admin

Whatever your boss and users define them to be. :)

Seriously, I don't know of any good job description, and it's tended to vary widely at the places I've worked. At my location, it involves desktop support (including desktops, printers, copiers, faxes, teleconferencing equipment, et.al.), but other places strictly limit it to routers, lan, and wan work. Still others include server administration in the mix. And then you have your customers with their home computer problems and advice as to which technical gadgets are better (lcd vs. plasma, for instance). And of course, the ubiquitous "other duties as assigned", which can be anything.
rijelkentaurus

Jan 10, 2007
12:46 PM EDT
>"other duties as assigned"

That's my entire job description.
bigg

Jan 10, 2007
2:13 PM EDT
More importantly, what does network admin pay?
azerthoth

Jan 10, 2007
2:24 PM EDT
An IOU for 1/2 of a cheese sandwich, payable once a month to the first person that gets to the payroll clerk. The payroll clerk gets the other half of the sandwich.
tuxchick

Jan 10, 2007
2:30 PM EDT
no no, azerthoth, the OP was asking about roles, not rolls.

jimf

Jan 10, 2007
2:39 PM EDT
Hey, as an Electrical Engineer, I got to do all of that stuff gratis ;-)
tuxchick

Jan 10, 2007
3:12 PM EDT
Strictly speaking, a network admin is responsible for everything that connects computers. The cabling, routers, firewalls, security, remote access, interfacing with the big bad outside world...but as jdixon said, in the real world there is a lot of overlap with system administration. And whatever else your PHB thinks you need to do.
theboomboomcars

Jan 10, 2007
3:34 PM EDT
Sorry for this silly question as I have not entered the business world (as I am currently a student) and am not familiar with all the acronyms and such, but does PHB stand for Pig Headed Boss, or something different?

Thanks for the help, and I apologize for the tangent.
jdixon

Jan 10, 2007
3:37 PM EDT
> More importantly, what does network admin pay?

Again, it varies widely. In general (in my experience), the closer you get to the router and server admin roles, the higher the pay. I'd say an entry level position that concentrates on desktop assistance might go as low as $30K in lower paid areas. The top end can go over $100K if you're an experienced network and server person in higher paid areas.
cr

Jan 10, 2007
3:49 PM EDT
>but does PHB stand for Pig Headed Boss

Close, but a leeetle more braindead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointy_Haired_Boss
theboomboomcars

Jan 10, 2007
4:25 PM EDT
Ahh, that makes sense. I should of figured it was related to Dilbert, since Dilbert is the scripture of the office.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!