Surprised?

Story: Mozilla Takes Aim at Opera SecurityTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
rijelkentaurus

Jan 10, 2007
4:09 PM EDT
Gratis or not, Opera is still proprietary software. I'm not particularly fond of it, but I think if the community could get ahold of the code it could become a great browser. Of course, if the community could get ahold of the code, then XP could become a great OS...well, maybe not.
tuxchick

Jan 10, 2007
4:37 PM EDT
" if the community could get ahold of the code, then XP could become a great OS"

Well, yes it could. First rip out the bits that suck. That leaves maybe a hundred lines of code. Quite manageable, and a good solid foundation to build on.
tuxtom

Jan 10, 2007
4:48 PM EDT
Yawn...
tuxchick

Jan 10, 2007
5:16 PM EDT
**burp**
dek

Jan 10, 2007
5:35 PM EDT
Oh yuck!! WHAT DID YOU JUST EAT???!!! (Me waves my hand -- fruitlessly I might add -- to rid myself of the fumes) ;-)
tuxchick

Jan 10, 2007
5:46 PM EDT
teehee, er, sorry, that wasn't really a burp, but an emission from farther down the pipeline. Giggle.
azerthoth

Jan 10, 2007
6:09 PM EDT
We found the cheese sandwich!!!!
swbrown

Jan 10, 2007
7:47 PM EDT
> but I think if the community could get ahold of the code it could become a great browser.

Problem is, you'd have a 5 year spin-up period for the community to learn and adapt to working on that codebase as happened with Netscape's. It's likely much more efficient to just improve FireFox.
tuxchick

Jan 10, 2007
8:39 PM EDT
I'll pass on the sandwich, thank you anyway.

Get it? Get it? haw. :)
azerthoth

Jan 10, 2007
8:57 PM EDT
TC you stinker, what possessed you to cut loose with that?
Teron

Jan 11, 2007
3:58 AM EDT
"if the community could get ahold of the code it could become a great browser."

No need for any becoming-stuff it's great already. It's great, but not libre.
jezuch

Jan 11, 2007
4:23 PM EDT
Quoting:Problem is, you'd have a 5 year spin-up period for the community to learn and adapt to working on that codebase as happened with Netscape's.

You mean a complete rewrite? :)
jimf

Jan 11, 2007
4:28 PM EDT
> You mean a complete rewrite? :)

Some think Mozilla really needs that ;-)
cr

Jan 11, 2007
6:35 PM EDT
> Well, yes it could. First rip out the bits that suck. That leaves maybe a hundred lines of code. Quite manageable, and a good solid foundation to build on.

Yeah, but we're a little beyond CP/M now, don't you think? Start with a clean build of FreeDOS instead of ripping it all the way down to Tim Paterson's QDOS clone of Kildall's work; it has subdirectories.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!