Dude, try reading instructions

Story: Why Apple Lost Me as a Potential UserTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
linuxfun

Jan 17, 2007
11:56 AM EDT
Sounds like you're are just having trouble reading instructions. This is not a flame; installing Firefox is a cinch and I've installed oo.org quite a few times, and peformed upgrades, without any trouble.
jimf

Jan 17, 2007
12:11 PM EDT
At first glance, I thought this was just some MS only noob trying to migrate to Apple land, but, this guy claims to have run Linux in both KDE and Gnome flavors. RTFM indeed...
azerthoth

Jan 17, 2007
12:14 PM EDT
As much as I hate the RTFM answer when people are asking questions sometimes atleast glancing at the manual will reveal all kinds of answers. Too often I have been in idling in IRC and someone comes in and asks a legitimate question and someone will pop off with the RTFM comment.

Sure there are plenty of times when its obvious that the person didnt, nor did they bother with google, but just jumped right to IRC. That still doesnt give us the right to be rude, but rather an opportunity to not only help them with their problem but also to turn them on to other resources that can help them as well.

That wasnt aimed at anyone in particular, it just happens to be one of my pet peeves.
linuxfun

Jan 17, 2007
12:35 PM EDT
Azerthoth,

As an off and on PHP developer, I totally agree that helping newcomers is much better than being rude; I have asked, and still ask, some "dumb" questions every now and then.

In all honesty, I read the parent post and thought in the back of my mind that it was written simply to get a response. Sadly, as a long time OS X user, I obliged!
jimf

Jan 17, 2007
12:40 PM EDT
azerthoth & linuxfun

Please understand that if Matt had asked me, I probably would have googled the answer for him. I'm a pushover that way, but, I certainly couldn't help thinking..... ;-)

The other issue is that this was certainly not a real review... Thinking about it, I'm not sure it was anything more than a noob rant.
tuxchick

Jan 17, 2007
12:53 PM EDT
Mad Penguin has changed since it was purchased. Now it's mostly flamebait and ignorance.
peragrin

Jan 17, 2007
12:54 PM EDT
First off the guy needs to learn to use google.

Installing Open office on OS X without Apple's X11 isa pain. of course Apples' X server is on the Apple install cd. takes 5 minutes once you find it.(can be a pain.) Open office on isn't very hepful but Neo Office is Open Office modified for the OS X interface no X11 required.

Installing firefox is easy. download, open disk image. drag firefox icon to applications folder. your done. if you want it in the dock, then you can drag it there as well. It's the fastest method I have ever had for installing software. Installing games that way is great. no complex setup routines to run, no paths to figure out it's easy.

Third if he as to unlearn everything about windows KDE, and gnome he has ever learned then he failed to learn anything at all. he simply memorized steps to achieve a function or feature. You can sit me down in front of any OS, any GUI, and I can learn it in minutes, and get used to it in a day, with hidden features coming in slightly behind.

Why? I have learned not only what does what but why it works that way. a little bit of investigating and intelectual common sense and i can sort out the rest. Even the unix command line isn't all that hard if you at first type help.

tuxchick

Jan 17, 2007
1:02 PM EDT
no no NOOOOO you're all WRONG. Any person with at least the brainpower of a turnip should be able to pick up any random computer, with no computer experience whatsoever, and instantly know how to use it. You know, just like with Windows. Apple and Linux are for elite snobs who want to keep the rabble out of their little cliques.

I thought everyone knew this. Speaking of cliques, jimf you sound too wussy to belong here. Help people? As if. I'm thinking of calling for a vote on your membership.
jimf

Jan 17, 2007
1:10 PM EDT
> First off the guy needs to learn to use google.

Ya think ;-)

> too wussy

Now TC, give me a break, you know I can be a real SOB once I get going :D

tuxchick

Jan 17, 2007
1:33 PM EDT
> Now TC, give me a break, you know I can be a real SOB once I get going :D

Well, Ok, we won't vote today. Just watch your step, bucko.

;)
jimf

Jan 17, 2007
2:01 PM EDT
TC,

Next time, I promise, I'll tell them all to JFG it :D

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!