Ubuntu Replacement

Story: Fedora 7: The Linux Knight in Shining Armor?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
azerthoth

Jan 19, 2007
4:03 PM EDT
I have been reading up on what the goals for Fedora 7 are and I must say I may have to rethink my choice of distro.

The things that grabbed my attention. 1: the nevou (sp?) drivers for nvidia cards. 2: the microcode for various wireless cards including the dreaded bcm43xx (mine).

If it manages to install the correct kernel (FC6 gave me a 586 kernel), and sets up frequency scaling I think my laptop may get a transplant.

I realize neither of the 2 problems are that big a deal to fix, I was just too lazy to spend much time hacking on an installation that I was only taking a looksee at.

*edit* No its not Ubuntu on my lappy currently, but I couldnt resist digging at the ubuntoids a little. */edit*
dcparris

Jan 19, 2007
4:40 PM EDT
You might try Debian, if you haven't already. :-)
azerthoth

Jan 19, 2007
4:49 PM EDT
/me wonders at the hand print that just appeared on his forehead.

how'd he know whats on there?

Actually Debian Etch has/had issues with frequency scaling that required a kernel rebuild for me to get it working. That was some time ago so the glitch may be gone by now.
dcparris

Jan 19, 2007
5:25 PM EDT
I have a cheezy old Dell (1.2GHz) that Etch works on quite well. I did have to do the BCMxxxx dance though. ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!