Oh! Give me a break....

Story: What'll they think of next: Winbuntu?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
jimf

Jan 20, 2007
11:47 AM EDT
> a simple-to-use, no-risk way to install Ubuntu in a partition on a Windows machine.

Like, virtually any Linux Distro will do this, including (:P) Ubuntu....

Thinking more on this, I believe we should just have the install offer to replace Windows altogether, then, just go ahead and do it no matter what the user chooses. That would put the new user back in a familiar Windows comfort zone.
azerthoth

Jan 20, 2007
2:05 PM EDT
Uborgtu

'nuff said
Sander_Marechal

Jan 20, 2007
4:22 PM EDT
For new users I still think it's a shame that a lot of distro's default to "use whole hard drive". Distro's that target Windows people should default to shrinking the Windows partition. I don't know how Ubuntu does it these days (haven't had Windows for quite a while) but 5.04 defaulted to eating the whole hard drive. A trye newbie would have just kept on pressing "next" during the install like they were taught on Windows, thus accepting that default.
jimf

Jan 20, 2007
4:34 PM EDT
> For new users I still think it's a shame that a lot of distro's default to "use whole hard drive".

Oh, you mean like all the MS installs. Many, many of the Linux distros give a graphical install (unlike Windows) and it's really simple to select something other than "use whole hard drive".

> A trye newbie would have just kept on pressing "next" during the install like they were taught on Windows, thus accepting that default.

I don't believe that much of a n00b should be trying to install anything.

This is just another buntu hipe project.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!