BBC half wits

Story: Battle of the operating systemsTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
purplewizard

Jan 24, 2007
5:55 AM EDT
"Please do not write to us simply criticising an operating system you do not use as these will not be considered for selection."

The BBC has this up which might explain why they didn't post my comment. Which was unfair as it was a critique but of operating systems I use. I use Win XP unavoidably for work but choose to run Linux at home. And all my criticism of of XP was true, it does interrupt me working far more often than Linux (there are updates, wireless network un/available, and on)

I have long had doubts and disappointment over the BBC web site "journalists" for lack of intelligence and knowledge of their subject. There's a rare story that proves me wrong (but not often and it is probably unfair to only point at them I have the same disappointment with the likes of the Independent, Times and Guardian newspapers here in the UK as starters).

Anyway in conclusion they probably need to split the site so a clear look and feel exists for stories like this that aren't exactly news.
salparadise

Jan 24, 2007
7:10 AM EDT
The BBC? Ha!

I put in an official complaint to them before Christmas. They ran a "technology" article with two folks from the BBC and someone from Microsoft contributing. I complained as the article was aimed at predicting the future and yet no one from Apple or any of the Linux distros was invited to participate. Implied message - Microsoft IS the only future there is.

I've yet to hear even an acknowledgement from them, yet alone a considered reply.

I have contacted them time and again about misleading technology articles where Microsoft is explained to be the only standard there is and no mention of Linux or OSS. They don't reply - ever.

I suspect they are tired of being told off by clued-up Linux users and, rather than tighten up their reporting, have decided to take the easy way out.

Forget the BBC as a source of reliable news. They are as biased and unequal as any other mainstream news site. Corporate influence has won at the BBC.

The language they use in news bulletins is most revealing if studied closely. Very lopsided and carefully crafted. Information you need to be scared with is revealed in detail. Information you need to be enlightened with is sketchy, poorly reported and biased in its layout.

One phrase springs to mind...

Not fit for purpose.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!