I laughed out loud. MS should acquire Linus?

Story: Why Microsoft Should Acquire LinuxTotal Replies: 17
Author Content
Aladdin_Sane

Feb 26, 2007
8:35 AM EDT
I was going to post this story here myself, but I really did not want to pull down the IQ of LXer.

I can just imagine MS turning over rocks asking, "Are you Linux?" "Are you Linus?"

Like in that children's story, "Are you my mother?"

Or Star Wars, "Linus, I am your father."

Monty Python wink wink nudge nudge, "What's it like?"

/MS scratches head, "Now what's a GNU?"
tuxchick

Feb 26, 2007
8:37 AM EDT
This particular author is consistently, er, well, I can't really say entertaining or interesting, but he does raise the cluelessness bar impossibly high, and shall reign forever as champion.
swiftnet

Feb 26, 2007
9:12 AM EDT
It is amazing how ignorant so many people are.... First acquiring Linux isn't possible, it is not owned by anyone, the name is trademarked, but the code is GPL.

Now, when MS acquires anything they absorb or destroy it, in essence the 'Borg' mentality. So MS wouldn't 'help' Linux if they acquired it, they would take what they wanted and destroy what didn't fit in with their 'Windows' vision.

Competition is the only reason MS fixes software bugs and/or adds features. If MS isn't forced to upgrade ancient and/or buggy code they don't, take a look at IE6, it was around for 5+ years! Mozilla's Firefox is the reason MS created the Firefox clone (IE7). MS created 'openxml' because of the looming threat presented by the iso standard 'odf' (MS was worried about 'sxw/c' before it even became 'odf' and an iso standard). The list goes on and on.

MS is a ruthless money making machine, they don't care about anything but making a profit. They would never honestly support a product that could take away from their monopoly. They may make the motions of cooperation, but they have always destroyed their competition, and often used unsavory business practices to do it.

Articles like this prove that the average IQ is sinking below the triple digit mark....

Cheers,

Alex Chejlyk
dinotrac

Feb 26, 2007
9:19 AM EDT
>it is not owned by anyone, the name is trademarked, but the code is GPL.

Ummm...No, not exactly.

I don't know who the owners are -- but somebody owns Linux, or, more accurately, Linux has lots of owners.

The GPL does not cede code ownership, it just grants a very broad array of rights. Code owners can do things with their GPL'd coe that non-owners are not permitted to do. For example, they can offer it under a proprietary license, a la Trolltech.
hkwint

Feb 26, 2007
9:34 AM EDT
"but somebody owns Linux"

I'd say: someone owns the copyright to the source of the Linux-kernel. I'm afraid that's not the same as owing Linux, since Linux means much more than just source code these days.

And then look at this (quote from the site:)

Quoting:Click here to get the latest prices on Linux distributions!

Hmm? I have to pay for Gentoo? Well, sounds bad. Anyway, it seems more logical to me Linux acquires Microsoft anyway. Just kidnap all their shareholders (FARC offers seven-day training-courses I believe) and you're effectively done.
phubert

Feb 26, 2007
9:49 AM EDT
So, why are we WASTING TIME with this author and his "material"???
swiftnet

Feb 26, 2007
10:13 AM EDT
dinotrac,

I was a little wary of writing that sentence, but I stand by what I wrote "it is not owned by anyone, the name is trademarked, but the code is GPL"

The breakdown: owned by anyone = No one person or entity owns all the code in Linux, it would be damned hard to track 'em all down ; ) name is trademarked = Linus Torvalds the code is GPL = I understand the GPL code can be sold by the owner, but since there are so many contributors to Linux, selling it would be extremely difficult if not impossible. I am under the assumption the GPL code is available for all to see and use, that wouldn't work at Microsoft. MS and GPL are like oil and water.

Cheers,

Alex

dinotrac

Feb 26, 2007
10:51 AM EDT
swiftnet -

As a practical matter, you are correct.

I just see so much confusion between GPL and public domain, I make it my little mission to correct such statements.
tuxchick

Feb 26, 2007
10:56 AM EDT
Linus purchased by Microsoft... if you think he used the word "braindead" a lot before, just wait...
tminton

Feb 26, 2007
11:03 AM EDT
Obviously the author is educated beyone his intelligence........
hkwint

Feb 26, 2007
12:43 PM EDT
Quoting:why are we WASTING TIME

Apparently, we have nothing better to do, I'm afraid. Or do we?
Aladdin_Sane

Feb 26, 2007
1:01 PM EDT
Lampooning the clueless is not necessarily a waste of time:

1) It's fun and entertaining.

2) They may learn something.

I heard tuxchick mention Linus had purchased Microsoft. Or did I misread that?
jimf

Feb 26, 2007
1:05 PM EDT
> Linus had purchased Microsoft.

What a great urban legend.... And, the only way that MS could ever get straight :D
freethinker

Feb 26, 2007
1:10 PM EDT
Yeah, I know it's dated. I also know the meme has slipped into a kind of pseudo pop culture suspended animation, but it works with this story and somebody has to say it . . .

ALL YOUR LINUX ARE BELONG TO US.

. . . and besides, it's been too long!
richo123

Feb 26, 2007
1:56 PM EDT
OTOH Linus does own the trademark to "Linux"

http://www.linuxmark.org/about.php

I wonder what he would be tempted to sell it to M$ for? (Disclaimer: I am not being serious)
azerthoth

Feb 27, 2007
9:09 AM EDT
That could be fun. M$ decides to do its own Linux distro and Linus says no to the use of the name.
techiem2

Feb 27, 2007
10:30 AM EDT
Winux?
Aladdin_Sane

Feb 27, 2007
11:29 AM EDT
OK, since we're doing the oldies but goodies, remember

Microsoft's New Operating System http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/?200512

And of course

Microsoft Linux - the premier linux distro http://www.mslinux.org/

"We just can't figure out how to get that darn foot out of there! The thing is like stuck."

Wait a minute. All my base do not belong to you.

{/deadpan}

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!