Right Again

Story: So, How Does It Feel To Have Been "Had"?Total Replies: 23
Author Content
azerthoth

Feb 28, 2007
2:13 PM EDT
Thanks Ken, you have a unique way of taking a topic, giving it 2 shakes to knock the fluff off of it and shining a very bright and unkind light onto it.

Granted there is a little supposition in that article. However in light of how things have unfolded it would take a larger stretch of the imagination to see things NOT unfold as you have laid it out than it would for it to happen. Keep up the good work.

-Jim
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 28, 2007
2:36 PM EDT
Ken was mad, I was mad, we are all mad..knowing that we played the dupes the whole time. Actually thinking that Dell would do something "Innovative"

Yeah Right..
helios

Feb 28, 2007
3:32 PM EDT
"...Granted there is a little supposition in that article.

A little... as well as an unintentional ommission of fact. Dell is going to come back and say "Suse is the only logical answer...it has the most established support mechanism behind it."

I find that hard to argue with.

The supposition evolves in my pretense that the support factor is only a handy excuse to plug Microsoft firmly in the middle of LinuxLand.

Boy Friggin' Howdy...do they have a rude awakening coming to them.

I may go to Round Rock here shortly and light a fuse of my own here shortly...watch the local news here in Austin. How's that saying go again?

"any publicity is good publicty."

We'll see.

thanks you'se guyz

h
dthacker

Feb 28, 2007
6:17 PM EDT
I wasn't had. I put myself in Michael Dell's shoes for few minutes and surveyed the landscape. Red Hat's in a life boat about to be run over by Larry Ellison's racing yacht. Canonical is still trying to sort out the "Don't Be Evil" from the "We want to make money!". The rest are all garage bands. If I'm Michael Dell, I want the A-List, lawyer-proof star. I don't play Celiene Dion in my car stereo, but she sold a lot of tickets in Vegas!

But it's ok. Garage bands innovate. Garage bands make disruptive changes. And Lenovo and HP might be booking dances soon.

Dave

helios

Mar 01, 2007
2:27 PM EDT
...And Lenovo and HP might be booking dances soon. "

I am more than confident that the members of this website will recognize the world of profound possibilities in your statement Jim.

Let's just see. I hope you are right.

herzeleid

Mar 01, 2007
3:30 PM EDT
Quoting: The rest are all garage bands.
So is SuSE (Novell) a garage band or not?
jdixon

Mar 01, 2007
5:17 PM EDT
> So is SuSE (Novell) a garage band or not?

Novell is the Dixie Chicks.
dcparris

Mar 01, 2007
5:38 PM EDT
Well, I don't know about no Dixie Chicks, but I understand Rhode Island Reds are pretty sturdy chickens.
jdixon

Mar 01, 2007
5:47 PM EDT
DC, the Dixie Chicks started as a country band and lost their audience when they made public announcements during one of their concerts criticizing Bush. They're now a favorite of the far left Democrat folks, as demonstrated by their recent Grammy's. I'd say the parallels to Novell are obvious.
tuxchick

Mar 01, 2007
6:30 PM EDT
Here we go with the simple-minded labeling again. "Far left" my aunt fanny- lots of folks are unhappy with the Bush administration, and it always amuses me how folks who claim to be so red-blooded true-blue and patriotic only support free speech when it's their own.
helios

Mar 01, 2007
6:47 PM EDT
OK...Let's test out this "free speech thing"...

First to be offended loses. But then again, there seems to be a fair percentage of our American Population who is consistently LOOKING for a reason TO be offended.

Case on point:

This linked story reminds me of my ex-wife. Sure, it sounded good in the beginning...even felt good as I began to get comfortable with her, (she didn't even move her lips when she read)...but the closer I got to the end, I realized that the perceived promise of a payoff was dwindling and fizzling down to a major disappointment. And I was right.

http://blogs.siliconvalley.com/gmsv/2007/03/ideastorm_injur....

Seems this author had seats for an 8 o'clock show or something...I've typed grocery lists that had more follow-through than that.

Speaking of no follow through, did anyone ever get a chance to meet my ex-wife...

Or Rob Enderle?

h
azerthoth

Mar 01, 2007
9:22 PM EDT
From an email I recently recieved that seems somehow appropriate at this point.

Quoting:How's this for a definition! Think it'll make Webster? Following is the winning entry from an annual contest calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term.

This year's term: Political Correctness.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
SFN

Mar 02, 2007
6:53 AM EDT
That won?

Maybe next year the term should be "most appropriate definition".
DarrenR114

Mar 02, 2007
7:09 AM EDT
I think that during next election campaign cycle when the "conservatives" start lambasting "liberals", the "liberals" should shoot back with something like this: "I'm not liberal, I'm progressive. I believe that the constitution makes 'general welfare' as important as the 'common defense'. I believe that the Federal Government has a constitutional obligation to provide for the universal, comprehensive healthcare of all citizens, not just a few who no longer contribute the GNP. I believe that the current selfish conservatives who allowed a young boy to die from a tooth abcess should all be stripped of all government healthcare benefits - including the President and Vice President. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02... "

But now I'm getting off track to LXer.com so let me close with this: I believe that our elected officials have a responsibility to spend our tax dollars wisely, and by failing to invest more heavily in FOSS, they are failing to meet this financial mandate.
bigg

Mar 02, 2007
7:20 AM EDT
> "Far left" my aunt fanny- lots of folks are unhappy with the Bush administration

Quite right, and that includes a lot of Republicans. I live in one of the reddest parts of the country, extremely conservative on both economic and social policy, but Democrats won every contested race down to dog catcher. The Dixie Chicks would fit in well here. I don't live in the South.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 02, 2007
2:15 PM EDT
I'm sorry, did someone try to assert that there is any difference between the "left" and "right" at all?

Both of them want my money for their own pockets. Screw 'em all.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 02, 2007
3:09 PM EDT
Not to add fuel to the debate, but I just came across this on another site: http://www.conservapedia.com/Main_Page

Do check the entries for Dinosaur and Brazil :-)
tuxchick

Mar 02, 2007
3:15 PM EDT
And gravity.

Really.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 02, 2007
3:30 PM EDT
Quoting:And gravity.

LOL. I missed that one :-)
dcparris

Mar 02, 2007
3:41 PM EDT
O.k., I confess. I don't get the Brazil entry. And I'm certainly glad they've informed me that I can trust their encyclopedia. I feel much better now. Say, doesn't Microsoft say the same thing? Oh no. Sorry. They said, "You trusted us".

That reminds me, did I tell y'all about my new encyclopedia venture? That's right. Step right up. Add your own entry. You can add/edit entries for free, but you'll be restricted in what you can say. The more you pay, the more editorial freedom you can have with your entries. This way, you don't have to download & configure Wikimedia on your own server. And remember, freedom isn't free.
jdixon

Mar 04, 2007
4:05 PM EDT
> Here we go with the simple-minded labeling again. "Far left" my aunt fanny- lots of folks are unhappy with the Bush administration...

Including me, but that has little to do with my point about the Dixie Chicks. Their paying audience was firmly in the Bush camp at that point in time.

> and it always amuses me how folks who claim to be so red-blooded true-blue and patriotic only support free speech when it's their own.

The Dixie Chicks can say whatever they want. I don't care one way or the other. The problem is they didn't seem to understand why their previous audience wouldn't buy their records any more. They seemed to consider it "censorship".
Aladdin_Sane

Mar 04, 2007
5:32 PM EDT
"it is only a theory"

OK, now I'm stuck Here in a belt of Biblical Scholars

Whose enlightenment consists of tawdry bars And coffee jars Mere ballast For semi-ballistic trajectory of your tear

I'm only a theory Theory of a man Who has at once done stupendous things

And drenched in alcohol Been in shaft of light To know the bacteria That form under the microscope

Do I allude to the prescription? That a theory is merely a tree on which to hang your facts.
tuxchick

Mar 04, 2007
5:39 PM EDT
jdixon, I just thought the whole mess was simpleminded and hypocritical, and perhaps a tad sexist. There is a whole genre of "drop bombs and kick ass in the name of patriotism" country songs that I think are beyond stupid and offensive, and they go hand-in-hand with "believe what I believe or you're a traitor."

But you are right, the Dixie Chicks drove away a segment of their audience, and they're better off without them, IMO.
jdixon

Mar 05, 2007
3:29 AM EDT
> But you are right, the Dixie Chicks drove away a segment of their audience, and they're better off without them, IMO.

And vice versa. :)

Which is exactly what Novell is doing. As I said, I thought the parallels were obvious.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!