Micro$oft accused of encouraging piracy

Story: Tamil Nadu gets dual-boot Win-Linux desktopsTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
henke54

Mar 05, 2007
6:30 AM EDT
Quoting:SOFTWARE GIANT Microsoft is being accused of encouraging piracy to popularise its operating systems after threatening legal action against Indian resellers pirating its products.

DQ Channels claimed resellers in the Punjab are so incensed against what they claim are double standards that they're considering a united front against the Vole.

The wire quotes an analyst speaking under conditions of anonymity as saying "Microsoft initially encouraged piracy to make its operating system popular". A united channel front would threaten Microsoft's hold and might lead resellers in India to push Linux. µ

L'INQ DQ Channel
http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=37994
henke54

Mar 05, 2007
6:32 AM EDT
New Delhi March 5, 2007

After having faced the wrath of Microsoft's ongoing anti-piracy campaign, the IT channel community of Amritsar and Jalandhar are all set to take certain measures against the company's dual standards towards piracy. The growing dissent may push the vibrant channel community to keep away from selling Microsoft products.

“So far there are about eight companies that have been penalized in Amritsar and the monetary penalties sometimes range up to Rs 30,000. I strongly feel that a company like Microsoft should not have gone down to this level. They talk about educating the partners, and yet there is no representation of Microsoft in Amritsar, it was all being executed by their legal team here. If the company is serious about curbing piracy, it should first educate partners and not punish,” explained, Upkar Singh Sethi, President, Amritsar-based Association of Computer Entrepreneurs.

Keeping in mind the kind of damage inflicted on the channel community, the association is now set to put up a strong front against the global software major. “All our 62 members are going to hold a meeting next week to discuss our future course of action on this. We are business minded people and do not want to fight with a big company like Microsoft. But now the company is going way too far and we really need to do something about the issue,” he added.

Microsoft has already started issuing letters to the channel community of Jalandhar as well. With nowhere to go, the channel community of Jalandhar is now looking at aligning itself with other regional associations who are protesting against Microsoft's campaign. “There are about eight such companies that have received letters with regard to the anti-piracy campaign. We are going to discuss this issue with other associations in the region and decide our future course of action,” informed, Rajiv Khanna, President, Jalandhar Computer Dealers Association (JCDA).

When contacted about the issue Microsoft's official spokesperson said that the channel community is very important for the company's operations and the company is ready to work closely with local associations on this issue. “Our anti-piracy initiative is directed towards eradicating the menace of piracy. We do feel the importance of channel community and we are ready to discuss future course of action with the local associations,” the spokesperson added. Channel on the other side Whether it is a global IT product company or a software focused organization, channel community has played a vital role in terms of addressing the 'last mile availability' solution for these companies. Imagine the strength of the channel community working against a company like Microsoft. The results, according to industry experts, would be more than disastrous.

“Today, the channel are being treated like criminals, though it was Microsoft who initially encouraged piracy to make its operating system popular. I would say that over the past few months, Microsoft has been playing with fire. It is only because the channel community in India is not that organized otherwise it would not have been easy for Microsoft to impose penalties. Now if these small associations come together it can pose a bigger threat to Microsoft than any other region,” added a market analyst on condition of anonymity. Winds of change While dissent in the channel community has been festering for a while now, this is possibly the first time that regional associations are more than eager to join hands and are most likely to play a vital role in terms of voicing issues against a big MNC like Microsoft.

“You never know if we as a channel can create a wave all over the country for promoting Linux in India. We are the ones who can explain the problems of Vista to the end-user (eg the system hanging, activation issues, high configuration requirements etc). Microsoft should not underestimate the strength of the channel, which is suffering at their hands time and again,” added a reseller from Chandigarh.

Additionally, the channel community also feels that piracy is going on unabashedly even now at the very locations that 'Microsoft sleuths' raided a while ago. “Microsoft is proudly advertising the names of those retail locations as 'Partners who have promised not to get into piracy', they need to actually go and re-check. These partners are not at all clean even now,” added a market source. http://www.dqchannels.com/content/reselleralert/107030506.as...
Bob_Robertson

Mar 05, 2007
9:06 AM EDT
Piracy is the best word-of-mouth advertising that Microsoft could hope for.
DarrenR114

Mar 05, 2007
9:12 AM EDT
Though I agree with the sentiment, I don't like the misuse of the word 'piracy'. Copyright, patent, and trademark infringement are NOT piracy. Such a concept has been concocted and perpetuated by organizations like the RIAA and MPAA. Don't give these guys an inch! Refuse to engage them in battle until they call a spade a spade and not a fork.
azerthoth

Mar 05, 2007
10:19 AM EDT
From Mirriam-Webster

Quoting: Main Entry: pi·ra·cy Pronunciation: ˈpī-rə-sē Function: noun Inflected Form(s): plural -cies Etymology: Medieval Latin piratia, from Late Greek peirateia, from Greek peiratēs pirate Date: 1537

1: an act of robbery on the high seas; also : an act resembling such robbery 2: robbery on the high seas 3 a: the unauthorized use of another's production, invention, or conception especially in infringement of a copyright b: the illicit accessing of broadcast signals

I think I'm comfortable with the use of piracy in regards to how RIAA and the MPAA are using it. Its the connotations attached to the word that are irksome.
DarrenR114

Mar 05, 2007
10:26 AM EDT
Those BASTARDS - they actually got the common dictionary changed to reflect their views... Thankfully it's down there at number 3.

I think I'm going to stick with the Oxford from now on - since the MW seems to have caved to special interests.

AGGGH - Oxford has sold out too... "piracy

• noun 1 the practice of attacking and robbing ships at sea. 2 the unauthorized use or reproduction of another’s work." http://www.askoxford.com/results/?view=dev_dict&field-126684...

The next thing you know, someone will point out that Santa Claus isn't real ...

At least the *legal* definition still doesn't include IP infringement: [url=http://dictionary.law.com/default2.asp?selected=1533&bold=||||]http://dictionary.law.com/default2.asp?selected=1533&bold=||...[/url]
jimf

Mar 05, 2007
10:32 AM EDT
> The next thing you know, someone will point out that Santa Claus isn't real ...

Well, you know that Blackbeard didn't really die, he just bleached his beard, got himself a sleigh and raindeer...... :-D
Sander_Marechal

Mar 05, 2007
1:52 PM EDT
If someone ever sues me over copyright infringement (wouldn't know why, but who knows) and refers to it as "piracy" then I'll go to court wearing a big wavy hat, an eye patch and a stuffed parrot on my shoulder.

Avast me hearties!
tuxtom

Mar 05, 2007
4:32 PM EDT
azerthoth: Your post connotes an implicit endorsement of the RIAA and MPAA. The way they are using it makes me feel quite uncomfortable.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 05, 2007
9:00 PM EDT
"Blackbeard didn't really die, he just bleached his beard, got himself a sleigh and raindeer"

So THAT is why he can afford to give stuff away, and give away obviously copyrighted materials too.

Arrrrr!
hkwint

Mar 06, 2007
10:11 AM EDT
OK, then we should change MW too:
Quoting: Main Entry: RIAA·ISM Pronunciation: ˈrī-a-ēsm Function: non known Inflected Form(s): plural -MPAA Etymology: Medieval Latin Gang, from Late Greek Orwelleia, from Greek Orwellēs Date: 1984

1: an act of wallet-robbery on the content markets; also : an act resembling such robbery; also: an act of robbery of musicians 2: robbery in the court 3 a: the unauthorized use of the name of somebody else (spoofing p2p networks), a country's law (DCMA), or government especially in the assumed war against infringement of a copyright b: the illicit accessing of consumers internet signals

How 'bout that?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!