So WRONG! Thanks, but no thanks.

Story: Linux Marketing Campaign Seeks $350k in 40 DaysTotal Replies: 38
Author Content
magicfab

Apr 11, 2007
1:05 PM EDT
This is wrong in so many ways I am shocked it even made it here.

The amount of money is already quite ridiculous, without mentioning the kind of event / industry it would go to.

Gas. Noise. Speed. Pollution. Money spending. *COOL ?* Is that how we want Linux promoted ?

I don't think so.

Cheers,

Fabian Rodriguez http://wiki.ubuntu.com/FabianRodriguez Montreal, QC, Canada
tracyanne

Apr 11, 2007
1:24 PM EDT
Quoting:*COOL ?* Is that how we want Linux promoted ?

Yes, Yes and Yes
bigg

Apr 11, 2007
1:30 PM EDT
> Is that how we want Linux promoted ?

The key is that Linux will be promoted. It is not the type of promotion I would do, but at least it's something, and it might be effective.

It would far exceed the efforts of the large companies that make a lot of money on Linux.
jimf

Apr 11, 2007
1:32 PM EDT
> Gas. Noise. Speed. Pollution. Money spending. *COOL ?* Is that how we want Linux promoted ?

It's all a plot by Tuxes to hurry up 'Global Warming'! Bring back the glaciers and all that nice ice!...

What a cool idea... Die Al GORE!!!
tracyanne

Apr 11, 2007
1:35 PM EDT
If even the attempt to fund a race car gets to the mainstream press, that's promotion for Linux.
dcparris

Apr 11, 2007
1:41 PM EDT
I'm no racing fan, but I would be for this race - assuming I see Tux on the car.
jimf

Apr 11, 2007
1:52 PM EDT
Well, I'd be for doing a GP motorcycle, but that's just my interest. It would be less expensive though.
techiem2

Apr 11, 2007
2:19 PM EDT
/me puts a tux sticker on a tricycle and sends it to jimf to ride around town

That should get ya some press!

;)
jimf

Apr 11, 2007
2:24 PM EDT
/me thinks techiem2's tricycle suites him better.

Wouldn't want to deprive you of your fun.
tuxchick

Apr 11, 2007
2:25 PM EDT
Hey, the weirdest thing just happened. I was out for a walk and saw this weird kid riding a tricycle with these cool Tux stickers all over it. So I pushed the weird kid off and took the tricycle for myself. It's pretty cool, though the seat is a bit hard.
techiem2

Apr 11, 2007
2:31 PM EDT
hmmm.

Actually, that might be pretty effective. Give tux stickers to kids that use linux at home/school/whatever. Their parents/friends ask them about the stickers, and they can tell them it's for this cool free software and then point them to you for more info.
bigg

Apr 11, 2007
2:43 PM EDT
Kind of like the Joe Camel of the next generation.
dcparris

Apr 11, 2007
2:47 PM EDT
I can just see Tux handing out a rolled up laptop:

"Roll your own Linux"

"Tux smokes 'em all"

Etc.
jimf

Apr 11, 2007
3:53 PM EDT
With profound apologies to Rossi, I had something more like this in mind guys ;-)

http://jimfarnsworth.com/tuxracer.jpg
helios

Apr 11, 2007
4:09 PM EDT
The amount of money is already quite ridiculous, without mentioning the kind of event / industry it would go to.

Gas. Noise. Speed. Pollution. Money spending. *COOL ?* Is that how we want Linux promoted ?

My Sister just saw this. She lives in BC. She said if these people in Montreal were any more high-strung and snooty, they would insist visitors take off their shoes before they crossed into the province. I dunno...can I offer you a bit of Whine with that cheeze pal? I bet you are a fun date. Why does Niles Frasier come to mind when I read this. No...never mind, probably not a good idea. Might get something under your fingernails without a toothpicK for your brie.

h
devnet

Apr 13, 2007
7:04 AM EDT
Why is this wrong magicfab?

The race will take place anyway...the cars will still produce their byproducts with or without Linux on the hood. Might as well put Linux on there and get some exposure.

What's your real problem with this?
rijelkentaurus

Apr 13, 2007
7:10 AM EDT
>The race will take place anyway...

That's a poor excuse for anything. People will be murdered tonight somewhere, it still doesn't justify me holding the knife. However, please don't think I'm joining the fray against this idea, I think it's great. Just don't try to justify stuff that doesn't need justified...you're playing into magicfab's argument.

I also thought (not a race fan, FYI) that those cars ran on pure methanol, by leaps and bounds cleaner than regular gasoline. I could, of course, be very wrong.
SFN

Apr 13, 2007
7:16 AM EDT
Quoting:I also thought (not a race fan, FYI) that those cars ran on pure methanol, by leaps and bounds cleaner than regular gasoline. I could, of course, be very wrong.

Not "very". It's Ethanol this year. Even cleaner.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=2003457
rijelkentaurus

Apr 13, 2007
7:27 AM EDT
Well, so much the better. Glad I was wrong. :)
tuxchick

Apr 13, 2007
7:37 AM EDT
It's fun, and it reaches a lot of people. I say go for it- it sure beats sitting around complaining on forums!
Bob_Robertson

Apr 13, 2007
8:51 AM EDT
"It's Ethanol this year."

This race bought to you by the lobbying muscle of Archer Daniels Midland.

dinotrac

Apr 13, 2007
10:33 AM EDT
>>"It's Ethanol this year."

>>This race bought to you by the lobbying muscle of Archer Daniels Midland.

No, no and no. You weren't listening closely enough. Must be the accent....

The actual statement was "It's Ethyl an' all her kids" waitin' tables at the snack stand this year.
helios

Apr 13, 2007
12:05 PM EDT
Looks like Dino is the only one paying attention. She's a gassy ol' girl, but I love her anyway. and her brood. Good eye dino.
devnet

Apr 13, 2007
1:13 PM EDT
dino likes them waitresses ;)
jdixon

Apr 13, 2007
1:15 PM EDT
> dino likes them waitresses...

Why is this beginning to remind me of a Warren Zevon song?
azerthoth

Apr 13, 2007
1:31 PM EDT
I was thinking Arlo Guthrie *grin*
dinotrac

Apr 13, 2007
1:36 PM EDT
Hmm. I was thinkin' Warren Peace.
salparadise

Apr 13, 2007
8:55 PM EDT
Quoting: People will be murdered tonight somewhere, it still doesn't justify me holding the knife.

Something you want to confess to?

The way it seems sometimes, the best vehicle to promote Linux would be a balloon. Then we put a couple of folks from Novell in the basket to keep explaining about why signing agreements with MS is good for us, in order to keep the balloon aloft. A large hot air balloon with a huge tux on the side would be seen for miles. But I don't suppose there's quite the same testosterone dripping machismo attached to a balloon as to a racing car.

I'm inclined to agree with magicfab in principle. Cars are appalling. Over three thousand dead a day, every day, from accidents (globally). Rising levels of asthma and lung cancer that cannot be explained away by "passive smoking". Mountains of rusting unwanted scrap the world over. Choked cities where air quality is now starting to kill in the summer. Journeys that pile stress onto people as they try to navigate a road system that can barely cope with the traffic levels.

There are other sporting events to think about (as well not instead). The Americas Cup, various Golf Tournaments, the World Cup. All great places to think about getting the penguin seen.

Perhaps some sort of fund to which people could contribute which could then finance advertising Linux in sporting events in general. (I realise that for some sports the amounts involved are astronomical) but seeing as how we live in such a sport obsessed culture, any advertising is good.

jimf

Apr 13, 2007
9:52 PM EDT
> There are other sporting events to think about (as well not instead). The Americas Cup, various Golf Tournaments, the World Cup. All great places to think about getting the penguin seen.

Pollution aside, what an exciting view of life.
rijelkentaurus

Apr 14, 2007
12:37 AM EDT
I will never confess!!
dinotrac

Apr 14, 2007
3:04 AM EDT
rijelkentaurus ---

Hmmmm. I note that you don't say you didn't do it....
dcparris

Apr 14, 2007
3:09 AM EDT
It seems to me magicfab just wanted to blow off steam, rather than engage us in thoughtful discourse on the environmental impact of racing. I haven't heard a peep from him since his OP.
tuxchick

Apr 14, 2007
8:29 AM EDT
according to google, magicfab does a fair bit of Linux support and advocacy. Still, these seagull-style posts are a bit annoying.
helios

Apr 14, 2007
2:36 PM EDT
magicfab does a fair bit of Linux support and advocacy.

Seems to be true, with caveat...It would appear that one must attend or claim the Al Gore School of thought and Philosophy your Alma Mater prior to being accepted into this branch of advocacy.

To coin his phrase...

I don't think so.

Cheers back at you from my 11 mpg 1 ton Ford RedNeck Express Cowboy Cadillac, stripped of all emission control/trusted computing tattle-tail equipment. Lord how I love the smell of unfiltered vehicle emissions in the morning.
devnet

Apr 14, 2007
4:34 PM EDT
Quoting: There are other sporting events to think about (as well not instead). The Americas Cup, various Golf Tournaments, the World Cup. All great places to think about getting the penguin seen.

Perhaps some sort of fund to which people could contribute which could then finance advertising Linux in sporting events in general. (I realise that for some sports the amounts involved are astronomical) but seeing as how we live in such a sport obsessed culture, any advertising is good.

The only problem is they won't be seen by as many people as the Indy 500 will be. The Indy 500 is the largest single day sporting event in the WORLD...I'm not making this stuff up...you can look it up. Indy is seen by more people worldwide than any single day event in the world. Why WOULDN'T we want to advertise there? Why wouldn't Linux and a feature story on how the fundraising went to get Linux there be something good for the community?

Take this as an example...you're a businessman and you sell widgets. You have the opportunity to get your widget advertisement onto a Indy car for 350k. The ad revenue that you generate from said widget advertisement is well over 500k for race day and about 150-250k for qualifying rounds during the month of May. Would this be a wise investment? If you say "no" to these types of deals too often, your business will go the way of the dodo bird...extinct and fast.
helios

Apr 15, 2007
3:38 AM EDT
If you say "no" to these types of deals too often, your business will go the way of the dodo bird...extinct and fast.

To paraphrase one of my co-founders in this project:

This will either be linux's finest hour or biggest embarassment. Too many people are poo-pooing this idea out of hand without giving it the thought you have. It's too bad that they don't see a buck and a half from a fraction of this community will make it happen. Hell, I'd give a buck and a half just to make me shut up.

h
tuxchick

Apr 15, 2007
7:07 AM EDT
Time for a concise, insightful summary that leaves everyone gasping in enlightenment and admiration:

1. If you don't like the Tux500, don't support it. Duh. 2. If you do think it's a cool idea, money talks. 3. Dropping a stinkbomb in a forum you've never visited before, then never coming back for any follow-up is low-class.

I have spoken.
rijelkentaurus

Apr 15, 2007
7:26 AM EDT
Quoting: 1. If you don't like the Tux500, don't support it. Duh.

I have found that most people are more willing to poop on an idea than to support it, or to find better alternatives. Yeah, if you don't like it (and it's not something that will negatively impact you), then STFU. I get tired of too much "that ain't gonna work, you so stoopid!" floating around.

GNU/Linux needs some exposure. Around here, folks often ask me what Linux is when I tell them it's what I use on my PC and my home server. They haven't heard of it. (Of course, around here I can say "Red Hat" and they know that, but I'm about 70 miles from their headquarters.) A guy at a client of mine is very happy that he doesn't have to use MS software...because he has a Mac. He hadn't heard of Linux, and he's surely unaware that he's as much under a proprietary thumb with OS X as he is with XP or Vista. Any exposure (like that article at indy500) is good exposure. Like they say, "There's no such thing as bad publicity."
rijelkentaurus

Apr 15, 2007
7:30 AM EDT
Quoting: rijelkentaurus ---

Hmmmm. I note that you don't say you didn't do it....

As there is no evidence....

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!