Clean up my computer

Story: Brand New Digital Photo Software GuideTotal Replies: 58
Author Content
PamE

Apr 30, 2007
5:26 AM EDT
I have the following installed in my computer. I know that I don't need this much stuff. Can you suggest which to delete.

The Print Shop Essentials HP Photo Smart 19.45 MB Kodak Easyshare 5.21 MB Photo Explosion 740 MB Picasa 2 20.05 MB Adobe Photoshop Album Starter 3.0 16.33 MB Microsoft Picture IT 7.0 143.0 MB Photo Story 3 for Windows 19.81 MB Ulead Photo Express 5 SE 26.90 MB Ulead Photo Explorer 8.0 SE Basic 36.14 MB Kodak Memory Albums 1.73 MB Print Perfect Gold 75.59 MB
NoDough

Apr 30, 2007
5:44 AM EDT
[sarcasm]

You may want to start by uninstalling Windows.

[/sarcasm]
Abe

Apr 30, 2007
6:00 AM EDT
[NOsarcasm]

Just type

del C:\Windows\*.*

That will clean your disk of all unnecessary software!

[/NOsarcasm]
jdixon

Apr 30, 2007
7:16 AM EDT
> del C:Windows*.*

Well, it'll give you an non-working system. But what you'll probably get is an error stating that a file is in use by Windows and can't be deleted, so it won't actually delete most of the files.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 30, 2007
8:00 AM EDT
Quoting:The Print Shop Essentials HP Photo Smart 19.45 MB Kodak Easyshare 5.21 MB Photo Explosion 740 MB Picasa 2 20.05 MB Adobe Photoshop Album Starter 3.0 16.33 MB Microsoft Picture IT 7.0 143.0 MB Photo Story 3 for Windows 19.81 MB Ulead Photo Express 5 SE 26.90 MB Ulead Photo Explorer 8.0 SE Basic 36.14 MB Kodak Memory Albums 1.73 MB Print Perfect Gold 75.59 MB

I would say that you can get rid of most if not all of those programs and get, http://www.gimp.org/windows The Gimp for Windows. Do you use Firefox already?, if not install and start using that too. Start learning to use Gimp and Firefox and and you will be on your way to getting rid of the need to have Windows around at all.

I hope I helped.

bigg

Apr 30, 2007
8:04 AM EDT
Better yet, download VMWare and a Linux distribution from their website. Seriously, though, why would you want to delete software unless you're seriously constrained for space.
jimf

Apr 30, 2007
12:42 PM EDT
PamE,

I saw your post early this morning and couldn't bring myself to answer. On the off chance that you're really that naive, I have to disclose that you've stumbled into a place where we've all pretty much had it with Microsoft, their dismissive attitude toward their customers, and any of their Windows products.

We've moved on to the Linux.... Yes PamE, there is another, and far better operating system with a choice of great desktops, superior applications, no virus', air tight security, great community support, and, all of that for little or no money. I think you'll begin to understand why some of us are a little sarcastic in replying.

I strongly suggest that you try one of the Linux live CD distributions. They allow you to try Linux before you install it to your hard disk. If you do decide to install you can also keep your original windows installation. I suggest you first try mepis Linux to see what you think. Go to their site, download and burn the ISO (yes, they have instructions to do that). Then pop the resulting CD in your drive and reboot. I think you'll be pleased.
PamE

Apr 30, 2007
2:10 PM EDT
Thanks to all of you. My face turned red for a little while. Yes, I've had a personal computer since 1984 and am still very naive. jimf I am going to try mepis Linus first. Again, thanks.
dcparris

Apr 30, 2007
2:34 PM EDT
PamE: Welcome to the LXer forums. I honestly thought your post was spam, but held off to see if you responded before deleting the thread. We get similar postings every now and then that advertise many of the software packages you listed. Although we can be pretty sarcastic around here at times, you'll find the crowd pretty helpful. jimf is only one example. I started tinkering with GNU/Linux back in the late 1990's, and by 2004 left Windows in the dust. I haven't looked back, haven't missed Windows a bit.

Please do make yourself at home here. Hang around a while, and explore the community. You'll find lively discussions on various news stories, help for questions about Linux, and make lots of new friends. Bring your sense of humor, slightly demented with a pinch of wryness. ;-)
dinotrac

Apr 30, 2007
2:54 PM EDT
PamE -

I got this note in my e-mail. I think it was meant for you and routed to me by mistake. Probably came off an Exchange server somewhere.

Here it is:

Don't listen to any of these people.

They aren't real. How could they be? They'd have you think that you could run a real honest-to-gosh PC on some so-called OS represented by a penguin.

A penguin!!!

C'mon now. You can't even work a pc with flippers. OK -- maybe with a trackball, but I digress.

Linux doesn't get viruses. Just plain doesn't. Who'd want something like that? What'll you complain to your friends about? How will you upgrade to the latest version of McAfee, which doesn't even run on Linux. Not only do you not get viruses, but you can't use popular anti-virus software.

And it doesn't run a lot of the software you're used to running. OK -- it's got Firefox, so maybe you're used to that. It's got OpenOffice, which you may have used, and, which, these days, is a real nice replacement for Office, right on down to handling Office docs.

But it's also got a lot of programs you've never heard of. Here's the worst part: They're free!

Yup. Completely free. So...if you've got it, you don't have some brain-dead "demo" version. Nosirree. You've got the real thing. That'll tempt you to try things out. Probably find a few things you like.

That'll waste your time, I'm sure. Worse yet -- you might have fun.

So...Stay away from this Linux stuff. Nothing but danger, there.

Hope this helps.

Your friend always,

Bill G.

Note: Use of this message on unsupported platforms, specifically anything that doesn't end with XP, rhyme with sista, or invoke something in a house that you can see out of, is expressly prohibited. Oh, did I mention that you owe us $199.99 for the privilege of reading this note, which can be upgraded to e-mail note Professional Edition, complete with smily support, for an additional $99.95?

bigg

Apr 30, 2007
3:55 PM EDT
PamE: Welcome to Linux. I tried Linux for the first time in 1999 and didn't give up Windows for good until 2005. Today there are live cd's, and most forums are friendly, unlike what I faced in 1999, so good luck.
dcparris

Apr 30, 2007
4:12 PM EDT
O.k. Pam. I forgot to mention the weirdos on the forums. My bad. Not pointing fingers at anyone, there, dino. :-)
dinotrac

Apr 30, 2007
4:15 PM EDT
Rev -

> My bad. Not pointing fingers at anyone, there, dino. :-)

I can understand that. After all, jimf and jdixon get a little huffy when you point fingers at them!
jdixon

Apr 30, 2007
4:43 PM EDT
> forgot to mention the weirdos on the forums.

Hey, I resemble that remark.

> After all, jimf and jdixon get a little huffy when you point fingers at them!

No, but I have been known to bite. I think it's the were-ferret showing.
jimf

Apr 30, 2007
5:00 PM EDT
> After all, jimf and jdixon get a little huffy when you point fingers at them!

Aww... no not me, but, my alter ego R0nin sometimes gets a little testy...

/me No no R0nin! Not Dino's head! Put that sword away....
richo123

Apr 30, 2007
5:45 PM EDT
Errr, why was the original story posted on Lxer he wonders naively???

I can see why PamE found Lxer with google given the particular story. It seems to have zero linux content.... Oh well cheered up a few of the grumpy pusses around here I guess (ducks...)
NoDough

May 01, 2007
6:15 AM EDT
Awwww shucks! And here I though the initial PamE post was a fake. Now I have to apologize for being sarcastic.

/Booming parental voice "Now, NoDough, what do you have to say to PamE?"

/Head hung low, staring at floor, gently kicking at nothing "Soooorrrrrryyyyyy."
dinotrac

May 01, 2007
6:30 AM EDT
>/Head hung low, staring at floor, gently kicking at nothing >"Soooorrrrrryyyyyy."

We've all known that for a long time.
PamE

May 01, 2007
2:29 PM EDT
I just might have to stick around so that I can come up with a new naive question once I get mepis installed. I finally found it and downloaded and burned. I just need time to reboot my pc. Thanks for the apology. It was needed!!!
jimf

May 01, 2007
3:04 PM EDT
> It was needed!!!

Well, it was certainly deserved.

It shows some real spine that NoDough stepped up and did the right thing.... Of course that could be because he was afraid that TuxChick would come over and box his ears, but, let's give him the benefit of the doubt :D
PamE

May 01, 2007
3:12 PM EDT
Okay, I have about 20 minutes before I have to shut down the computer. Is that enough time to reboot with mepis in "D"? I have already tried twice, but I still get windows. I checked and mepis is on the CD. What next?
jimf

May 01, 2007
3:20 PM EDT
Are you sure you burnt it as an iso, and not just copied the files to the cd? Yes, there is a big difference. Also, you may have to set the bios so that your CD is listed as a boot device. It should be, but sometimes not (i.e. boot order = floppy, CD, HD).
PamE

May 01, 2007
3:23 PM EDT
I have absolutely no idea! I need explicit instructions. Thanks.
jimf

May 01, 2007
3:29 PM EDT
what program are you using to burn the cd? If nero, there is a specific 'burn iso' .

Actually, take a look here:

http://www.mepis.org/node/1326
jdixon

May 01, 2007
3:55 PM EDT
> I need explicit instructions. Thanks.

Most machines have a prompt on the bootup screen which tells you how to enter the bios (or setup, as many call it). Usually, it's the one of the del, esc, F1, or F2 keys.
dcparris

May 01, 2007
4:10 PM EDT
JD: she's talking about burning the CD, not changing the boot sequence. Although that might come in handy, too.

PamE: jdixon is referring to whether your computer will boot from CD/DVD. If it does not, you will need to follow his note above, and then nagivate the BIOS setup screens until you see the option to set which order your computer looks for bootable disks. Make sure to set the CD/DVD to boot before the hard disk. Hopefully, you can avoid this procedure, but it will be handy if you can't.
jdixon

May 02, 2007
5:52 AM EDT
> ...she's talking about burning the CD, not changing the boot sequence.

Sorry Don. I should have been more clear.
dcparris

May 02, 2007
7:05 AM EDT
tsallright!
number6x

May 02, 2007
8:04 AM EDT
PamE,

For now you can remove most of those programs from Windows by clicking on:

'Start'--->'Settings'--->'Control Panel'

And then double clicking the icon 'Add or Remove Programs'. Choose the ones you don't want anymore. Don't remove them all at once, remove a couple and then see if Windows still works ok.

Most of these programs are the kind that come on a CD with pictures you might have had developed to CD at the local chain store, or they may have gotten installed with a printer (like HP photosmart).

Most of them do the same things as each other. If you never find yourself using them it should be OK to delete them. If you have an HP photosmart printer, you might want to keep that program, but don't keep things you don't use.

It's great that you are trying Mepis. Live CD's are a great way to try out what Linux has to offer. Mepis is a pretty good choice, and the usual suspects around here will be willing to point to another 2 or 3 or 12 'distros' that are good for beginners as well (PCLinus OS, SAM Linux, Mint Linux, Vector Linux, Zenwalk, Dream Linux, and so on). I've had Mepis installed on one machine for almost three years now (June 2004).

For the Windows side there is a great CD you can get with Open Source software for Windows: http://www.theopencd.org/

Its nice to be able to get so much quality software from one CD.

Welcome to Linux and to LXER!

PamE

May 02, 2007
1:16 PM EDT
Thanks all. I have downloaded nero. Do I open nero then re-download mepis or do I burn mepis from my desktop?
number6x

May 02, 2007
1:25 PM EDT
There is a version of Linux called zenwalk that has a nice online manual.

Chapter 3.1 shows how to burn an iso in Windows with nero.

Just use the Mepis iso you already downloaded instead of the zenwalk one in this manual: http://manual.zenwalk.org/en/

-Sean
PamE

May 02, 2007
2:01 PM EDT
Sean, the one that I downloaded is sitting on my desktop. I apparently just copied the files to a CD. So, nothing is happening when I restart my computer.

I have installed Nero 7.8.5.0, but the only thing I find in burning is music, slideshow, video, and mixed media. There is no "Burn Image". I am really completely lost!!!

I'll pull up the zenwalk manual. Maybe I can find something.
PamE

May 02, 2007
2:16 PM EDT
I have just thought of something. After setting up mepis, will I be able to use programs like Quick Books and Quicken?
jimf

May 02, 2007
2:35 PM EDT
PamE,

As number6x says, look here for how to do the burn in nero: http://manual.zenwalk.org/en/ch02s03.html#d0e308

You're going to be setting up a dual boot with windows still availible, so don't worry about any specific program for the moment. Actually, you may be able to run windows in a VMWare session, or you may find a Linux app to suit, but later on.
bigg

May 02, 2007
3:38 PM EDT
PamE:

Some programs that you use now can be run from Linux, some have good (free) alternatives available, and some have no Linux equivalent. If you install VMWare on Mepis, you can run Windows and Linux at the same time, so you will always be able to access your current Windows programs.

You are burning a Live CD, which allows you to run Linux from CD. When you take the CD out and reboot your computer, you will be back to Windows.
jimf

May 02, 2007
3:46 PM EDT
> You are burning a Live CD, which allows you to run Linux from CD. When you take the CD out and reboot your computer, you will be back to Windows.

Right, let's go one step at a time.
Aladdin_Sane

May 02, 2007
4:28 PM EDT
PamE,

I use Quicken 2002 on Fedora and Debian Linux. I used to use Crossover Office/Linux (a commercial version of WINE), but now-days the WINE version that comes with these Linux distributions works ok "out-of-the-box" with a GUI installer, no need for X-Over.

See http://www.codeweavers.com/

and http://winehq.org/

I'd probably still start with CrossOver if I had to do it over again.
PamE

May 02, 2007
4:52 PM EDT
I did it. One successful CD burn. Tomorrow I will be brave enough to actually try to boot it. Have to get off the computer now. Thanks for a productive day.

Tomorrow I will also find out what wine, fedora, debian, crossover are. I'll probably need a whole day or week.
azerthoth

May 02, 2007
4:58 PM EDT
PamE once you get started down the road ... well you'll still be playing and having fun for years to come. I wish I could give you a time frame, so once I stop having fun playing with all the various Linux's I'll be able to put a year mark on it.
jimf

May 02, 2007
5:09 PM EDT
Well, the world's not going to end if you don't get going on Linux in the next few days Pam. Just regard it as an adventure, and take it one step at a time. You'll do fine.
tracyanne

May 03, 2007
4:36 AM EDT
I'm surprised will everyone shouting at once, that she managed to understand any of that.
jdixon

May 03, 2007
5:32 AM EDT
> One successful CD burn. Tomorrow I will be brave enough to actually try to boot it.

Way to go. Now, if you bios settings are correct, it should just boot. If not, see my above post. :)
Abe

May 03, 2007
5:48 AM EDT
I am still not convinced that PamE is a novice Linux user who stumbled onto LXer by accident, but I could be wrong. Some info about PamE would be helpful. That doesn't matter any way because FOSS stands for sharing and helping anyone.

The way you guys have been handling and responding to her/his questions sets a great example in supporting Linux novice users. Especially for all the new users that are going to flood the forums when major OEMs start pre-loading Linux. Hopefully, PamE (who ever she/he is) will return the favor by introducing Linux to friends and help them the same way she/he got help from you.

I tell you, you are doing a heck of an excellent job. Keep up the good work.
number6x

May 03, 2007
6:07 AM EDT
One step at a time.

With clear instructions.

listen to what the user is asking for, answer them, but give a little more for free.

"How do I get these programs off my computer?" has lead to someone willing to try a Linux live CD. That is great!

PamE may find that Linux is not to their liking. That is perfectly fine. They tried it.

Maybe someday PamE will try a Mac too. The willingness to try is the important thing. Linux may or may not work for their needs, but I think there is a very good chance it will.

Next step is to be ready for the boot problems that may come if PamE has some different hardware.

I have an Asus k8v deluxe, amd64 3000, SATA box, with an older Nvdia card that Ubuntu and Mepis never gets along with. The old Mepis, anything debian, Slack, Suse, Mandriva never have a problem, Ubuntu since 6.04 must be forced to use the vesa driver. (I can load the latest Mepis live with the Nvdia driver opt-in option).

So cross your fingers and hope Mepis works smooth for PamE (Like it does for 99% of the machines out there).
PamE

May 03, 2007
6:12 AM EDT
Abe, you are right. They have all been wonderful. You are also wrong. I am a complete non technical person who really stumbled into this forum.

I did try to restart my computer this morning, but still returned to windows. Now I am thinking that I need to get to a c:/ prompt. Then turn on computer. Is that correct? And, I promise, this is the last question. When it is answered and I still can't open mepis, I'll just have to put it up for a while and read some of the manuals.

Again, thanks for your help.
theboomboomcars

May 03, 2007
6:25 AM EDT
It sounds like you'll need to configure your computer to boot from the cd. On the first screen you see it should say hit to enter setup. This button is usually del, F1, F2, or F10, but could be anything. On some systems it also says hit for boot menu. If you have the latter use that, if not use the first. In your set up program there will be a boot menu. You navigate with the arrow keys.

There should be a list of instructions on the bottom or side once you get in. Make sure the cd drive is above the hard drive on the boot menu list. Then save and exit. All should work after that.

Good Luck.
bigg

May 03, 2007
6:51 AM EDT
PamE:

What you did is correct (put the CD in the drive and start the computer). You should not have to do anything else.

I have no idea why, but on an older desktop computer and a brand new laptop, I have to boot several times to get them to boot from a Live CD. I hadn't encountered this problem until a few months ago, but have to reboot the laptop as many as six times. So maybe you should try booting the computer again.
Abe

May 03, 2007
7:51 AM EDT
PamE:
Quoting:You are also wrong. I am a complete non technical person who really stumbled into this forum.

OK, I will take your word. Now don't give up so easily because we won't.

It would be helpful to give some info about your hardware. Like make, type and model of your computer. When you boot with CD in, do you see the CD drive being accessed (watch the light) for split second or it takes a while? Have you checked and made sure that the device boot order is 1st - floppy, 2nd - CD, 3rd - hard disk? I know Dell laptop are mostly configured not to boot from CD by default and some times you can't change it if you have a password set for the BIOS.

number6x

May 03, 2007
8:20 AM EDT
Back to the Zenwalk manual for some different ways to set the boot order:

http://manual.zenwalk.org/en/ch02s04.html

Every computer has a little code built into it at the factory so it can "boot up" or pull itself up by the boot straps. Its in something called the BIOS (Basic Input Output System).

This is not a Linux or Windows specific thing. It is done on all intel type pc's. However there are several different BIOS's used by different manufacturers.

One of the functions of the BIOS is to tell the computer where to look for an Operating System that it can start up. There is usually a list of places the BIOS to check in a certain order, like say:

- floppy - cd rom - hard drive

This would tell the computer to: Check the floppy drive first If you find a bootable disk there then boot from there else check the CD ROM drive If you find a bootable disk there then boot from there else check the hard drive If you find a bootable disk then boot from there else display an error message saying no bootable disk found.

The list in your BIOS probably goes like this:

- floppy - hard drive - cd rom

or maybe

- hard drive - floppy - cdrom

So your computer is always finding Windows on the hard drive and booting before it gets to the cdrom drive.

If you list the make and model of your PC, someone here may know the exact magic key combination you have to press to get to your BIOS setup.

dcparris

May 03, 2007
1:07 PM EDT
Abe, PamE has plenty of help - too much, in fact. It would be best if one or two people respond to her questions. The less confusion the better. Honest. With 10 people trying to answer at once, I'm surprised she's still here. She's a real champ!
Abe

May 03, 2007
2:43 PM EDT
So what is your point Don? Why single me out of 10 people? I thought the forum is open for all to post their thoughts?

dcparris

May 03, 2007
3:02 PM EDT
My point is obvious. I singled you out because of your skepticism - and because you are now the umpteenth person to start offering help, when jimf, jdixon and number6x seem to have things fairly well under control.

The forum is open for all, but how would you feel if you were trying something new and got inundated with 20 posts - half of which start at different points from where you are? TuxChick already commented on the "noise". I'm not trying to be mean - I'm trying to make sure the help Pam gets is meaningful. Don't take it personally - I hope everyone will give a little more thought to how they respond.
jimf

May 03, 2007
3:22 PM EDT
Well, not really the point Abe, no one is picking on you alone. The problem is that this forum was never set up for specific Linux new user help. The general rule for getting a new user into Linux is to take them down a pretty much proven route and not to distract them with side trips, no matter they might be wonderful places to go in the future. Distractions really do confuse and delay.

I've been trying to get Pam on IRC where I can work with her in a one on one which is much quicker and more effective, or even the DebCentral.org forum where I can do the same, but so far she hasn't picked up the phone (hint hint).

On the other hand.... maybe we just need to make an example???

/me pokes Abe with a sharp stick :D

Abe

May 03, 2007
6:17 PM EDT
[quoe]I singled you out because of your skepticism[/quote]

I can be skeptical if I want and your point is not warranted. what is next, censor the site from anything you don't like? If that is the case, feel free to delete my account.

Pam responded to my post and that was that, what is the big deal about being skeptical any way?

The question about her computer hardware wasn't asked and I felt someone had to ask it.

I really don't see your point limiting anyone from helping out. If it is too much for Pam, let her be the one to decides on how to handle it.

dcparris

May 03, 2007
7:26 PM EDT
> I can be skeptical if I want and your point is not warranted. what is next, censor the site from anything you don't like? If that is the case, feel free to delete my account.

I was just explaining what triggered my response. No offense intended. My point - that too many witches spoil the brew - is well-grounded, imo. And you are definitely free to be skeptical to your heart's content. As for your last point, I honestly feel you are mischaracterizing - or at least misunderstanding - the nature of my request.

I want your cooperation. You are not required to agree or comply. You may feel you are because I am the moderator, but my post suggests no such requirement. In another thread today, I made it clear that an argument should end - and normally am very clear when I am being authoritative. I should have worded my post differently, and am sorry to cause confusion. However, my record on censorship speaks for itself.

> I really don't see your point limiting anyone from helping out. If it is too much for Pam, let her be the one to decides on how to handle it.

Tuxchick and jimf both explained it quite clearly. Again, I was simply arguing for less noise, hoping for cooperation - not trying to force people to cease helping. It might have been poorly worded, but my intent is solid. Your point is not lost on me though.

PamE: Do feel free to express yourself - let us know if we're confusing you. If you're following along with everyone, that's fantastic.
number6x

May 04, 2007
5:53 AM EDT
PamE,

Don (dcparris) makes a good point. This is not a Linux help forum, just a bunch of people who think they know what they are doing.

For instance, I think I know a few things about Linux (OK, quit laughing everyone else). The reason I think I know a few things is that every time I do something wrong, or make a mistake, or break something, I try to learn from it.

I've learned a lot over the years.

:)

After we get you booted up with Mepis, I would suggest that you join the Mepis forums. over all forum: http://www.mepis.org/forum

New user thread: http://www.mepis.org/forum/130

You will get better advice there than from us here!

number6x

May 04, 2007
5:59 AM EDT
Abe,

I like your posts. I understand your skepticism too. There have been a lot of 'fuddy-duddies' (thanx for that TC) and shills around here lately.

That guy from Dell was kind of refreshing he actually came out and said who he represented. He earned a lot of respect from me because of that.

But over all I think that every one's BS meters have been pegged in the red for a while now and your level of skepticism is completely understandable.
PamE

May 04, 2007
7:39 AM EDT
Okay you guys. I have copied and printed up all the discussion as it related to booting up. I am going to join a chat room and try to hook up with jimf soon.

I have also, just this a.m., received email allowing me to join myphotosoft.com forum which is where I thought I was when I originally posted this thread.

When I get mepis up and running and feel comfortable with it, I will post another, so remember me. In the mean time, have fun and learn something new every day. PamE
NoDough

May 04, 2007
7:48 AM EDT
Quoting:...so remember me.

How could I forget you after what I pulled?

Best of luck to you. I'm sure jimf will be able to help you.

As you are interested in Photoshop, don't let jimf get away before you ask him about the GIMP.

Best regards, NoDough

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!