I Wonder Which Patents

Story: Report: Microsoft says open source violates 235 patentsTotal Replies: 30
Author Content
galeru

May 13, 2007
9:01 PM EDT
I bet one of them is using the right mouse button to bring up a menu.

Or maybe to use the scroll wheel to scroll down long documents.

Us open source kids are all in serious trouble, huh.
Scott_Ruecker

May 13, 2007
10:18 PM EDT
I posted this in another thread...

Quoting:The question is, just who are they going to take to court if they go that route?

Because whoever they pick, its going to be a losing fight for them especially if it balloons into a supreme court patent case about patents.

They would have more than just the FOSS community fighting them that's for sure.

For example, I'll bet that the drug companies would not want any case that MS takes to court to end up causing changes to the patent system. I know there are many other companies that feel the same way.

I think that someone, as in EVERYONE is going to ask about those 200 or so patents that they are talking about...I would LOVE to see that list.

So like you galeru, I would like to see the ones they are talking about...

salparadise

May 13, 2007
10:38 PM EDT
Would it be possible for the Linux community to get together the funds to put Microsoft in a court where someone can say "put up or shut up" - once and for all?

These kinds of veiled threats would not be tolerated if they were being spoken against Microsoft so why is it OK for them to do it back?. In what way is this not casting doubt on what Novell, RedHat and others are selling/releasing? Is it not then a baseless, without proof, accusation designed to make other people doubt the legality of Microsoft's competition?
vainrveenr

May 13, 2007
10:55 PM EDT
Probably less "serious trouble" than you would imagine.

The Fortune interview 'Microsoft takes on the free world' is at http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/... Carefully note in this Fortune piece that after Brad Smith's and other MS-inspired FUD doomsday writings are emphasized so craftily, a more complex picture tends to emerge . Here is further quoting taken directly from the Fortune article:
Quoting:Moglen contends that software is a mathematical algorithm and, as such, not patentable. (The Supreme Court has never expressly ruled on the question.) In any case, the fact that Microsoft might possess many relevant patents doesn't impress him. "Numbers aren't where the action is," he says. "The action is in very tight qualitative analysis of individual situations." Patents can be invalidated in court on numerous grounds, he observes. Others can easily be "invented around." Still others might be valid, yet not infringed under the particular circumstances.

Moglen's hand got stronger just last month when the Supreme Court stated in a unanimous opinion that patents have been issued too readily for the past two decades, and lots are probably invalid. For a variety of technical reasons, many dispassionate observers suspect that software patents are especially vulnerable to court challenge.

Furthermore, FOSS has powerful corporate patrons and allies. In 2005, six of them - IBM (Charts, Fortune 500), Sony, Philips, Novell, Red Hat (Charts) and NEC - set up the Open Invention Network to acquire a portfolio of patents that might pose problems for companies like Microsoft, which are known to pose a patent threat to Linux.

So if Microsoft ever sued Linux distributor Red Hat for patent infringement, for instance, OIN might sue Microsoft in retaliation, trying to enjoin distribution of Windows. It's a cold war, and what keeps the peace is the threat of mutually assured
Fortune senior editor Roger Parloff then engages in more analysis and history of the IP threats on pages two and three.

No, the sky is not falling! Parloff is merely trying to dramatize the characters and the story, in a fashion actually quite similar to that of a docudrama (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docudrama). The Fortune piece clearly shows pics of IP-Bully Ballmer, RMS, and Eben Moglen right there on page one. Conspicuously missing from this gallery are pics of Bill Gates (in absentia from the article), Linus Torvalds, and surprisingly Brad Smith HISSSSSSelf.

One conclusion to be drawn from this piece, is that Brad Smith has the dubious distinction of usurping the M$ throne of attention from FOSS-friendly Charmy HilfBilly.
bigg

May 14, 2007
4:10 AM EDT
I think there is one thing not mentioned (that I've seen anyway) about why MS isn't naming violations. Congress is supposedly in the middle of making important reforms to the patent system. The last thing MS needs to do is name a trivial patent and have that claim be cited again and again as Congress debates the issue. MS has money, but so do all the customers of free software. Worse for MS than a battle in court would be a battle in Congress with media coverage, trying to defend something like clicking the right mouse button.
helios

May 14, 2007
4:45 AM EDT
"Would it be possible for the Linux community to get together the funds to put Microsoft in a court where someone can say "put up or shut up" - once and for all?"

Not unless you want a google search of your name to produce fields that indicate you are a scam artist and a thief for trying to lead the effort. It's not the potential employers, investors and partners that concerns me primarily although that is bad enough.

Try explaining it to your child in front of a bunch of her friends after she googled her daddy's name and found that trash. What was done as a cute way to show off her daddy in front of her friends turned into a 45 minute group therapy session.

You go ahead and get it started. I'll join you when they run out of rocks. ;-)

h

dinotrac

May 14, 2007
6:04 AM EDT
Gosh - You'd almost think that Moglen has been reading my posts!!
bigg

May 14, 2007
6:09 AM EDT
Too bad you didn't get a patent on those arguments. Then you could be demanding payment for the use of your IP. A Columbia law professor must have some money.
dinotrac

May 14, 2007
6:15 AM EDT
> A Columbia law professor must have some money.

More than I do, that's for sure.
salparadise

May 14, 2007
6:21 AM EDT
Quoting:Not unless you want a google search of your name to produce fields that indicate you are a scam artist and a thief for trying to lead the effort. It's not the potential employers, investors and partners that concerns me primarily although that is bad enough.

Implication being they would spread lies about me to discredit me or have I misunderstood you?
dinotrac

May 14, 2007
6:53 AM EDT
>Implication being they would spread lies about me to discredit me or have I misunderstood you?

Sounds like you got it right.
kozmcrae

May 14, 2007
8:47 AM EDT
helios said: You go ahead and get it started. I'll join you when they run out of rocks. ;-)

As the Internet becomes more a part of our lives, the general public will need to learn that they can't read the Internet like they do their morning newspaper.

dinotrac

May 14, 2007
9:13 AM EDT
>As the Internet becomes more a part of our lives, the general public will need to learn that they can't read the Internet like they do their morning newspaper.

Let's be honest: We can't read our morning newspaper the way we read our morning newspaper.

Think of how many people get their "history" by watching movies "inspired by true events".

Sigh.
Bob_Robertson

May 14, 2007
9:35 AM EDT
"Would it be possible for the Linux community to get together the funds to put Microsoft in a court where someone can say "put up or shut up" - once and for all?" I believe this is why Microsoft "arranged" for the SCOX law suits. They were test-runs of the legal system to see if such suits could work in their favor.

For four years people, including the judges, have been saying "put up or shut up" and SCO's lawyers have successfully avoided ever doing so. At the same time, they have kept IBM and Novell shelling out money for their own lawyers all the while.

azerthoth

May 14, 2007
11:41 AM EDT
Imagine the possibility that MS actually wanted SCO to go bankrupt on this so that they could get their hands on the rights to UNIX, and what the implications of that would be for us. I'm really hoping that it holds true in the courts that SCO never purchased the IP and copyrights.

Just picture the world where MS owned all the UNIX IP.
viator

May 14, 2007
3:33 PM EDT
The community with their own money could with the help some companies and billionares like shuttleworth etc BUY UNIX opensource it all released under the gpl whatta ya think lets get the ball rolling lol
dinotrac

May 14, 2007
3:36 PM EDT
>The community with their own money could with the help some companies

Could but won't.
jdixon

May 14, 2007
5:40 PM EDT
> At the same time, they have kept IBM and Novell shelling out money for their own lawyers all the while.

Yes, but I believe that in IBM's case, those lawyers on on staff. Which means that IBM pays them whether they are working a case or not. So there's little extra cost to IBM.

Added: This would be similar to the company I work for claiming my time as a cost in a virus cleanup. That would be disingenuous, as they're paying my salary whether I'm cleaning up the virus or not.
cubrewer

May 14, 2007
8:08 PM EDT
>Yes, but I believe that in IBM's case, those lawyers on on staff. Which means that IBM pays them whether they are working a case or not. So there's little extra cost to IBM.

What about opportunity costs? Does IBM employ those lawyers because defending against SCO lawsuits is a normal and customary cost of doing business? I sure hope not... those lawyers should be defending IBM's trademarks, copyrights and patents, double-checking the contracts, etc. The fact that SCO got them to divert so much time to their baseless lawsuit really is like robbing IBM of these high-priced hours.

>Added: This would be similar to the company I work for claiming my time as a cost in a virus cleanup. That would be disingenuous, as they're paying my salary whether I'm cleaning up the virus or not.

Same here. Even moreso! Surely your company would surely prefer that you did something more productive than cleanup up after technological anarchists!? It would be entirely right for them to claim your time as damages against virus writers since the viri prevented you from doing what they would prefer you doing. Even if you were hired as a "Hear Virus Cleaneruper" they should be entitled to your wages as damages.
salparadise

May 14, 2007
11:43 PM EDT
Ah, I see. It's bluster from MS. To see how many companies get scared and run to MS for a "Linux license" as opposed to how many stand up and say "bring it on". (Presumably the "pay us for Linux" thing they tried isn't working so well. The press hasn't exactly been flooded with reports of swathes of companies applying).

Any court action over specific patents would require the patent to be named and explained which would either lead to prior art being shown from elsewhere or the offending method rewritten by the OSS community. Either way it's a no win situation for MS.

They are truly cornered.

dinotrac

May 15, 2007
3:20 AM EDT
>Any court action over specific patents would require the patent to be named and explained which would either lead to prior art being shown from elsewhere or the offending method rewritten by the OSS community.

Named, not explained -- though with an asterisk.

We don't want to confuse the evidence necessary to win a case with the notice required to permit recovery. They are not the same thing.

The asterisk? I'm not a patent lawyer and I haven't had the time to satisfy myself that I understand the level and specificity of notice required in the case of claimed Linux infringement.

The normal requirement for patents on a thing is simply that you attach the patent number(s) to the the thing, or, where that is not practical, to a label, packaging, etc,, that is provided with the thing.
jdixon

May 15, 2007
5:45 AM EDT
> What about opportunity costs? Does IBM employ those lawyers because defending against SCO lawsuits is a normal and customary cost of doing business?

Simply put, yes. Defending against SCO type lawsuits is a "normal and customary cost of doing business" for a company of IBM's size.

> It would be entirely right for them to claim your time as damages against virus writers since the viri prevented you from doing what they would prefer you doing.

If they don't want me cleaning up viruses, they shouldn't use Windows. As above, if you use Windows, then virus/spyware cleanup is a "normal and customary cost of doing business".
henke54

May 15, 2007
5:48 AM EDT
>I Wonder Which Patents

Quoting:Gutierrez also said Microsoft is not likely to publicly list which specific patents it believes are infringed upon by open source software. "We're not going to have a discussion publicly with that level of detail," he said.

Microsoft has made the patents in question known to corporate Linux users and distributors, Gutierrez said.
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articl...
Sander_Marechal

May 15, 2007
5:56 AM EDT
Ah, so why don't Novell, Dell, Samsung et. al. give us the list? If it's under NDA, at least they could say so instead of keeping silent.
dinotrac

May 15, 2007
6:12 AM EDT
> If it's under NDA, at least they could say so instead of keeping silent.

Hmm. I wonder how you make the claim that a list of patents can't be freely distributed, regardless of any NDA. Patents are in the public domain, and a list of infringed patents sounds like the kind of information that can't be copyrighted.

I suppose it could come under the category of company secrets -- ie, information about potential court cases.
techiem2

May 15, 2007
6:22 AM EDT
Yaknow, I can't help thinking that maybe MS is actually using the threat of "Patent Armageddon" to coerce people into their little cross licensing deals.

MS: "Hey Bob, we want a cross licensing deal with your linux using company." Bob: "Why? We don't use your stuff and you don't use ours." MS: "We KNOW you're infringing on our patents..you wouldn't want us to have to sue you would you?" Bob: "But then we'd have to sue you back for infringing on ours, and that would start Patent Armageddon, what with all those patents we both have but know should be invalid... You don't want that do you?" MS: "Exactly. So how bout I just get out the license paperwork and you sign the dotted line...."
dinotrac

May 15, 2007
6:35 AM EDT
techiem -

Yes. I would bet most of their patent portfolio's value goes up in smoke once they use it in anger.

At some point, they'll have to. You can't bluff forever and, besides, there are big hunks of the world where software patents have no value anyway.

But...any scratch they can scare up is to the good, especially if they don't need to spend a wad to get it.

Although...

They sure did spend a wad on the Novell deal. Hope they got their money's worth.

bigg

May 15, 2007
6:55 AM EDT
> They sure did spend a wad on the Novell deal. Hope they got their money's worth.

Well, if you can't kill Linux, just kill its users by getting them worked up. Ten years from now, most Linux users will be having heart problems.

Uncertainty about Linux is the best possible case for Microsoft. They don't lose any patents, they don't upset large customers (and don't think they don't care, they have no monopoly among Fortune 500 companies), and they don't trigger a massive reform of the patent system.

Executives of large companies don't want to think about Linux. They want to think about whatever it is that they get paid to do. If there is a court case to decide the issue, there is no longer any uncertainty, however things turn out. A patent lawsuit is not going to kill Linux, it will just get rid of the uncertainty. As for adding cost to Linux, they're already paying for it, so it doesn't make much difference.
dinotrac

May 15, 2007
8:13 AM EDT
>Executives of large companies don't want to think about Linux.

You might be surprised by the extent to which that isn't true. Mind you, they don't want to think about Linux in the way that we do, but...

In a world looking for competitive advantages, free software is getting a lot of looks.

Imagine:

You want to roll out some new technology in support of your sales efforts -- Proprietary stuff is great, and free stuff needs considerable more custom work. However, you have some expertise in-house, and the price difference dwarfs the cost of a couple of new people.

So...you go the free way and end up with your solution, a couple of new people for other projects, AND money left over for extra marketing!

In that regard, thinking about Linux is really thinking about what you want to do.
Sander_Marechal

May 15, 2007
1:46 PM EDT
Quoting:Hmm. I wonder how you make the claim that a list of patents can't be freely distributed, regardless of any NDA. Patents are in the public domain, and a list of infringed patents sounds like the kind of information that can't be copyrighted.

The agreement as a whole can be under NDA, with the list of patents supposedly infringed by Linux as part of the agreement. There was some discussion about that in a recent groklaw thread.
Bob_Robertson

May 15, 2007
5:44 PM EDT
Which doesn't stop anyone from doing a patent search and listing all the patents that Microsoft has, but that wouldn't be the 235 that they think infringe.

How, I puzzle over, can they have patents infringed upon by _email_ clients, when email is specified by RFC? Maybe they patented having folders, message lists and message text in separate frames of a single application window?

Put me in the "eliminate patent" group. I'm sick enough of this abuse to want the whole system thrown out. Any problems with not having patents cannot add up to the mess we have _with_ patents. The experiment failed.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!