uh?

Story: Why Is Dell Hiding Their Ubuntu Boxes?Total Replies: 15
Author Content
jsusanka

May 25, 2007
5:24 AM EDT
"Responding to an inquiry from LXer, Dell spokesperson, John Pope, said that getting the Ubuntu offerings on the front page would be difficult."

what does he mean by that? to be fair on the very first page of dell.com the ubuntu flash does appear if you wait for it.

but why can't they just put one simple link under dell recommends windows vista home premium.

just one line a few characters like "or ubuntu linux" - that is all that is needed. no big deal. that way it would help at least define where ubuntu linux fits in their offerings to the average consumer - windows replacement.
SFN

May 25, 2007
6:25 AM EDT
Quoting:to be fair on the very first page of dell.com the ubuntu flash does appear if you wait for it
So I'm thinking, "it does?"

Not only does it not come up, I'm not noticing any flash at all. Then it clicks: "Firefox".

I open the site up in IE and there it is, although it's Javascript.

Dell's banner only works in IE.

*blank stare*
azerthoth

May 25, 2007
6:32 AM EDT
Thats a good thing, targeted advertising. Only those already using windoze see the linux ads.

OK that was a stretch.

/me joins SFN with the blank stare.
bigg

May 25, 2007
6:36 AM EDT
Edit: Never mind, it does show up on Linux.
SFN

May 25, 2007
6:54 AM EDT
The good thing here is that this doesn't appear to be a deliberate action. Just an oversight.

Kind of a big one, though.
tuxchick

May 25, 2007
7:06 AM EDT
Webmaster Ken says, "Hyperlinks are haaaard!"

If you enter 'Linux' in the search box on dell.com, it takes you to a nice Linux page: http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=gen&c=us&l=en&cs=&k=li...

dcparris

May 25, 2007
7:18 AM EDT
Update: Pope tells me Dell is definitely working on this.
Aladdin_Sane

May 25, 2007
7:45 AM EDT
>>Update: Pope tells me Dell is definitely working on this.

As hard as JPDell is working on the Google ads, no doubt.

Again, as I mentioned before, don't even expect change from 3 months to 2 years from now.

This used to be called "Moving at the speed of Dell." Now it is not.
SFN

May 25, 2007
7:46 AM EDT
Quoting:Pope tells me Dell is definitely working on this.

That's good to hear.

Making mistakes isn't bad. Not fixing them - either through inability or lack of interest - is.
meffie

May 25, 2007
1:41 PM EDT
I didn't have too much trouble finding it... from the main page select "home & home office", then select the "desktops" or "laptops" under products to see a link to "open source pcs". It would be nice to see a link in the first column, in the block called essential links.
dcparris

May 25, 2007
2:14 PM EDT
The only link I saw was in the menu bar. I might not even have clicked up there myself, except that I was looking for some sign of the new offering. I actually found the Ubuntu offering through the links from our forums. But I went back looking as if I was just visiting for the first time. It's great when people actually send you a link. ;-)
Aladdin_Sane

May 25, 2007
6:24 PM EDT
New: link on left per meffie. Not there yesterday.
dcparris

May 25, 2007
8:43 PM EDT
Gotchya! I see it. Thanks!
tracyanne

May 25, 2007
10:10 PM EDT
They have plenty of room on the RH side where they put the little graphic that you can click through on
Aladdin_Sane

May 26, 2007
1:53 AM EDT
tracyanne: Disambiguation-wise, at first I thought RH was Red Hat. {chuckle}
tracyanne

May 26, 2007
2:53 AM EDT
Quoting:tracyanne: Disambiguation-wise, at first I thought RH was Red Hat. {chuckle}

That would be nice, if I had to refer to the Red Hat side of the DELL front page

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!