heh

Story: A challenge to all Linux Users in the WorldTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
techiem2

May 27, 2007
11:51 AM EDT
Quoting:1) Do not expect me to compile Gentoo or Debian. I want to get this all done within a few weeks, OK?

Cuz "emerge foo" and "apt-get install foo" are sooooo hard. :) I do understand his point about not wanting to wait though, compiling stuff can take a while, but a few weeks is a massive overstatement. Not to mention the installers that install precompiled stuff anyway. :) And since when does debian compile everything? (If there's a way to make it compile everything like gentoo does, I'd like to know about it so I can try it out.)
tuxchick

May 27, 2007
12:11 PM EDT
Debian installs binaries. You can build individual apps from source tarballs in the usual way, or use Debian's kewl tools for source builds. But it is not a source distro like Gentoo.

I call troll. Xwindows junkie? Hardly. A windows dev who claims to have dabbled a bit with Linux. Waste of time.
hkwint

May 27, 2007
2:53 PM EDT
The whole Gentoo system recompiles within 24h with a Sempron2600/512Mb. It depends largely on your configuration and optimization settings how long it lasts (but you shouldn't use -O3 anyway). Gentoo also has binaries available if you wish, if I understood correctly.

You don't have to compile Firefox, OOo and (SUN)JRE, Azureus those are available as binary builds (I once compiled OOo v1 on FreeBSD on an Athlon1700, which indeed took about 12h or so). Xorg and KDElibs indeed both take about an hour, kdebase and kdepim two, and Koffice two and a half. But weeks - only on a Pentium I @ 90Mhz probably.

I start updates when I go to bed, and when I'm out of bed again, it usually is done.

However, all mentioned stuff isn't needed on a server, and I expect it takes < 4 hours to compile everything (CLI) a server could ever need on this PC.
techiem2

May 27, 2007
3:03 PM EDT
Yeah, server setups are generally pretty quick.

There are binary packages for some stuff (not really sure how much as I don't use em much) . I generally use the binary for OOo cuz it's a bear to compile on anything that not FAST. hehe

hkwint

May 27, 2007
3:37 PM EDT
Looking at the challenge and after some web-searching, I found out there isn't a HOWTO for a (Windows-style) home-server (If there is one, it is not easy to find). I should make one, which includes EVMS (duh!).

Nonetheless, I have to register at ZDNet to let them know I'm willing to do this, and I don't feel like registering.
Bob_Robertson

May 27, 2007
6:08 PM EDT
Yes, I saw that same comment about Debian. That made the writer a wanker in my estimation and I stopped reading.

The comments are interesting, though, and would have been even more interesting but it requires registration.

"Don't want to precompile Debian" my butt. While he might have to compile _something_ to get full functional equality, with 20,000+ precomiled packages, Debian is the most likely distribution to _not_ have to compile anything at all.

salparadise

May 27, 2007
9:29 PM EDT
3) The applications need to be compatible with the Linux distro and the desktop. I am partial to Gnome but I'm willing to use KDE.

Boy, is he in for a shock.

Somebody give the man a slackware cd and an evil grin.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!