Written like...

Story: Clubbing baby Linux penguinsTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
bigg

Jun 12, 2007
4:05 AM EDT
...a 14-year old girl. "Why do business people have to be so mean?!!!"

This is one of the most naive pieces I've read about, well, anything in a long time. Linux is going to put Microsoft out of business. Linux is eating Microsoft's lunch. What do you expect them to do?

> Yes, that's it. Microsoft is deliberately disrespecting the GPL, despite it being a valid, legal license most FOSS programmers, including Linux coders, choose for their code. It is deliberately forming deals that both it and the world know are violative of the GPLv2's intent and the very wording of GPLv3 final draft.

Microsoft's disrespect of the GPL is going to hurt my self-esteem. "Mom! It's not fair!"
dinotrac

Jun 12, 2007
4:50 AM EDT
> This is one of the most naive pieces I've read

I wouldn't call it naive because the author is not naive. It is deliberately manipulative.

Yeah. Microsoft disrespects the GPL. I get it. What I wonder is when that become news?
Abe

Jun 12, 2007
6:31 AM EDT
Bigg & Dino, you guys have a severe problem. I suggest you take care of it. Take a Dale Carnegie class or something.

Quoting:Linux is eating Microsoft's lunch. What do you expect them to do?
We expect them to go away, less than that is not enough.

Quoting:"Mom! It's not fair!"
You don't see us crying to momy, what you see all over the Internet is solid attacks on MS FUD. If this author is being too gentle, he is getting the message across nicely. Didn't mommie tell you "When you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all". There is no need to make fun of the guy.

Quoting:It is deliberately manipulative.
You are making it sound like a bad thing while in fact he is reaching out to a special group of the audiance.

Quoting:What I wonder is when that become news?
It is news to some people and the world doesn't revolve around just a few. Others seem to need a reminder all the time.

dinotrac

Jun 12, 2007
6:39 AM EDT
>You are making it sound like a bad thing while in fact he is reaching out to a special group of the audiance.

I am making it sound like what it is. I did not say it was a bad thing. I said that she is not naive. Pamela, by the way, is not a he.

>It is news to some people

Ummm...OK.
Abe

Jun 12, 2007
6:56 AM EDT
[quote]I said that she is not naive. Pamela, by the way, is not a he.

I wouldn't call it naive because the author is not naive. It is deliberately manipulative.

I didn't see a "she" I thought you were referring to Steve & Leo. My bad, I should have known who you were after.
bigg

Jun 12, 2007
8:16 AM EDT
> Bigg & Dino, you guys have a severe problem. I suggest you take care of it. Take a Dale Carnegie class or something.

> Didn't mommie tell you "When you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all".

She's one of the most influential bloggers out there. Her post (along with the picture) gives a bad impression of the Linux community. We should be concerned with how we appear to the outside world.

I call it the way I see it. Who am I and why should she even care what I say? When I get to have even 1% of the influence of Pamela Jones, I will reconsider my approach.

> We expect them to go away, less than that is not enough.

It's competition. The Linux community is destroying Microsoft. In their case, it's a fight for survival, and they completely understand that. It's an urgent situation (for them) and we should not expect them to go away. If we're shocked that Microsoft doesn't respect the GPL, there's no hope.
jdixon

Jun 12, 2007
8:21 AM EDT
> It is deliberately manipulative.

Yep. And a fairly good example of such. That is one of PJ's strengths, I'll admit. And this from someone who usually agrees with her (I haven't read anything but the excerpt yet, so I have no idea if I agree in this case or not, but the excerpt is enough to justify the above statement).
azerthoth

Jun 12, 2007
8:56 AM EDT
Living in a place where seal and whale hunting are both legal and very much a part of the culture her opening metaphor was particularly crass. I'll take it in the form in which it was meant though, which is "This is another thing I know jack all about, but let me get my views on it officially published to the world."

I know there are a few readers here who would defend her opinions on the point, however I ask that before you do, come to Alaska and live a year or so out in the villages. Where the odds are you would be the only non native person inside of a hundered miles. Where the culture of thousands of years is still going strong and is a wonder of living history. Personally I have been doing that for the last 4 years and have had my views on a great many things changed from the understanding that I have started to develop.

That opening was a stone that really didnt need to get cast.

just my .02
dinotrac

Jun 12, 2007
9:03 AM EDT
>Personally I have been doing that for the last 4 years

Very cool, and I'm not referring to the weather.

Curious about one thing - How does the climate change topic resonate up there. For that matter...how does climate change present itself. Some places seem to get warmer, some get colder. Some ice melts while snowfall increases somewhere else.
azerthoth

Jun 12, 2007
9:28 AM EDT
dino the standing joke is "So where is that global warming thing and when can we expect it."

I spent the last two weeks on an island in the bering sea about 200 miles north of the northern most point of where they film "Deadliest Catch". There is still snow to be seen on the ground there and the temperature was hanging around 36-40f (2-4c). The ice pack has just recently broken up however there is still some sea ice to be seen on the western side of the island.

Historical comparison (from personal observation not NOAA) the winters seem to be taking a little longer to clear out than they used to however the extreme temperatures arent as extreme as they used to be. Instead of seeing -40f for a few days it will now hang out at -15f to -20f for a week or two. I can go on with other odds and ends, however yes I have seen some of the overall effects of global warming and it does truly exist.
dinotrac

Jun 12, 2007
9:37 AM EDT
>however yes I have seen some of the overall effects of global warming and it does truly exist.

I don't think anyone questions the reality of climate change. The real questions are: good or bad? What (if anything) should we do?
jdixon

Jun 12, 2007
9:41 AM EDT
> "This is another thing I know jack all about, but let me get my views on it officially published to the world."

PJ is still a city girl. She hasn't really come to terms with that fact that we have a long history of needing to kill things for their fur (or for that matter that we still have to kill things for our food) and that's there no good way to kill something. Some ways are worse than others, but there's no good way.
jdixon

Jun 12, 2007
9:44 AM EDT
> The real questions are: good or bad?...

It's amazing how little that question gets asked, isn't it? The same folks who are always arguing for change in the political arena, and they get all in a tizzy over a change in the climate. I thought change was good. :)
dinotrac

Jun 12, 2007
9:56 AM EDT
>I thought change was good. :)

It's too bad that Al Gore's assertion of a 20+ foot rise in sea level turns out to be (I can't help myself here) hot air. So much potential for beach-front land in Nevada and Arizona.
devnet

Jun 12, 2007
3:17 PM EDT
I stopped paying attention to groklaw when PJ started censoring comments on her weblog. To me, she's just as manipulative as that which she speaks out against.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!