What rubbish

Story: Too Many Linux Distros Make For Open Source MessTotal Replies: 19
Author Content
nikkels

Jul 21, 2007
3:21 AM EDT
This is another useless article on LXer. If you don't want to choose between 300 distros, take the top 20. If thats to much, take the top 10.

You find all you want.. This article is not worth wasting bits on and more, it's a copy of what I read already 5 times somewhere else.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 21, 2007
3:51 AM EDT
We're a news site. We don't necessarily agree with the news we post. I didn't add the FUD warning to the bottom for nothing :-)
nikkels

Jul 21, 2007
4:03 AM EDT
My apologies for both... I didn't see the warning the first time ...and..yes, you pass on the news.

The LXer is my daily read which I almost always enjoy.

Sander_Marechal

Jul 21, 2007
4:16 AM EDT
You're welcome to write a rebuttal and submit it as an LXer feature ofcourse :-)
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 21, 2007
5:20 AM EDT
nikkels: Some of the reasons that when we find FUD, we point it out is because we want people to know its FUD and we want the authors to know that we know its FUD to discourage others from writing such crud.

If the people who want to propagate FUD know that it will get noticed and not have the effect they want, maybe, just maybe, they will stop.

Either way, being well informed is knowing what is BS and what is true.

mvermeer

Jul 21, 2007
5:27 AM EDT
Agreed, but 'news' is a misnomer. 'News' is new things, unexpected things, out of the ordinary. First-time. Man bites dog. This kind of regurgitation is not it. 'Old news'?
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 21, 2007
5:33 AM EDT
Bad News, Fake News, Do what your told News..

Be Afraid of what we want you to be afraid of News

They keep getting longer... :-)

helios

Jul 21, 2007
5:48 AM EDT
"First-time. Man bites dog. This kind of regurgitation is not it. 'Old news'?"

You are absolutely right...the editors and staff here have been nothing if not asleep at the switch.

Why would they even entertain the thought that, by chance, a person new to Linux or OSS might stumble in here, having never read the "old news"

Fire the lot of them on the spot. This kind of incompetence is unacceptable. I hear Enderle might be looking for a job and he seems perfect for presenting the above-stated framing of "the news"

h
nikkels

Jul 21, 2007
6:14 AM EDT
If you really want to cut it into small pieces, then there will be little or no news , I guess. With communications what it is today, we just may have seen it all and heard it all.

Helios. I recognize your right to an opinion, but I find a lot, and I mean a lot, of interesting stuff on LXer. I don't think they are sleeping at the helm, as you said, and I don't see a reason to fire one of them. Certainly not the lot......I don't want to do the writing :-)
Sander_Marechal

Jul 21, 2007
6:23 AM EDT
@nikkels: relax. I'm positiove the forum software ate Helios' <sarcasm> tags :-)
dinotrac

Jul 21, 2007
6:29 AM EDT
>@nikkels: relax. I'm positiove the forum software ate Helios' tags :-)

Seriously? I just assumed that Lxer didn't want any readers who were new to Linux.
lcafiero

Jul 21, 2007
9:51 AM EDT
I agree with Scott (7/21-6:20) -- the best way to deal with FUD (and there seems to be an uptick in that department, especially from sites that carry ads for Microsoft -- or do I overstate my case?) is to expose it for what it is.

Being relatively new GNU/Linux (six months), I was introduced to LXer.com from the start. Whenever I introduce someone to GNU/Linux, I point them in LXer.com's direction as a must read. As a resource for news in the GNU/Linux world, it's the best I've come across. Keep up the great work, guys and gals.
helios

Jul 21, 2007
3:48 PM EDT
I'm positiove the forum software ate Helios' tags :-)...

My bad...I was under the impression that the amount of scarcasm dripping from the statement precluded their use...what's that old saying about assumptions?
azerthoth

Jul 21, 2007
5:01 PM EDT
Poor h, always so misunderstood. *grin*
tuxchick

Jul 21, 2007
5:20 PM EDT
Oh, we understand Ken just fine........ *evil grin*
helios

Jul 21, 2007
5:43 PM EDT
I know...but it's not that, it's the beatings,,,please, please, just stop the beatings...

Or not. Actually, I would feel neglected without them...I'll take one Stockholm syndrome with an order of fries to go please...Oh, and give me a couple screaming accusations of fraud and thief on the side.

Man, I love my work...

;-)\

h

tuxchick

Jul 21, 2007
6:09 PM EDT
Ken, I don't recall if this was mentioned before, but I figure it's worth repeating a lot anyway- those who can, do, and those who can't hide in their mom's basements, posting reams of uninformed carping and criticism under fake names on every forum and mail list that doesn't kick them off.

Gotta love this internet thing- worthless opinions at light speeds, and some of them even get paychecks!

dinotrac

Jul 21, 2007
6:28 PM EDT
TC -

My mom says "hi" to your mom and wonders if she'd like to join a "take back the basement" campaign.
tuxchick

Jul 21, 2007
7:01 PM EDT
doggone it dino, I told my mom to quit talking to your mom! Geez, they're always cahootsing behind our backs! And even worse, to our faces!
dinotrac

Jul 22, 2007
4:31 AM EDT
TC -

;0)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!