Go girl!

Story: Dear Linux Journal: News Flash- Women Are PeopleTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
salparadise

Aug 20, 2007
12:49 AM EDT
The use of sexual imagery and references in advertising is tedious and cheap. It plays to all that is shallow in people. It's good to see someone standing up for respect.

I notice that at the various Linux wallpaper/theme sites that desktop wallpaper that includes nudity is often criticised, whereas at deviantart it rarely raises a remark other than appreciation.
jacog

Aug 20, 2007
2:08 AM EDT
I was browing mods for the game Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion when I stumbled upon a mod that gives humanoid male characters in the game anatomically correct features when they are undressed. Only fair since there's a similar one for female characters.

Some idiot responded in the forum and wrote something along the lines of "Ur sick!! Us normal ppl dont look at guys, we like to look at GIRLS."

I guess it never occurred to him that the mod itself had nothing to do with perving, or that perhaps there's a whole other gender besides his own.
jacog

Aug 20, 2007
2:25 AM EDT
Er, I mean "browsing" ...although some of those things do cause a certain amount of browing.
dinotrac

Aug 20, 2007
4:42 AM EDT
>The use of sexual imagery and references in advertising is tedious and cheap.

I find myself agreeing halfway. Sexuality is an important part of any human being. Sexy is ok -- more than ok. Tawdry and exploitive are tedious and cheap.
number6x

Aug 20, 2007
5:31 AM EDT
The image and message is totally inappropriate.

Some times inappropriate can be humorous. If they had a goofy looking guy whose suspenders snapped, and his pants fell down around his ankles showing a set of baggy boxer shorts with some cartoon character on them. They could have bad a joke about 'going down' or about 'support failure' out of that.

It would still have nothing to do with servers (or support) but would be within the acceptable norms of slapstick humor.

The only more inappropriate image I can think of would be of a collapsed bridge or building and a line about how our servers won't go down. This would be even more insensitive and inappropriate.
jdixon

Aug 20, 2007
6:29 AM EDT
> The only more inappropriate image I can think of would be of a collapsed bridge or building and a line about how our servers won't go down. This would be even more insensitive and inappropriate.

At this particular time and place, yes. However, in another 10 years or in a Chinese magazine it wouldn't be inappropriate. Any ad should take the sensibilities of its intended audience into account.

Of course, it's entirely possible that the advertiser has done so, and is making a completely accurate assessment of their intended audience. A sad statement if true, but possible. I think we can safely presume TC is NOT their intended audience, at least.

TC is following the correct course of action in this case. 1) Complain to the advertiser, 2) Complain to the publisher, 3) if neither of these is effective, spread the message to get more people involved (she should probably also cancel her subscription to Linux Journal, of course). You can argue some details of how she's done so if you want; but what she's doing is perfectly valid consumer behavior, well accepted in other fields. Not being a woman, not being a Linux Journal subscriber, and not being in the market for any servers, I couldn't care one way or the other about the ad; but I applaud her for taking action to remedy a situation she finds objectionable. If more people did so, the world might be a better place.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!