PCLinuxOS overtakes Ubuntu.

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 64
Author Content
salparadise

Sep 19, 2007
10:03 PM EDT
I just noticed that PCLinuxOS has now moved to the Number 1 spot on Distrowatch.

A big CONGRATULATIONS to all who have worked so hard to spread the word about this distro.
rijelkentaurus

Sep 20, 2007
4:36 AM EDT
Agreed. And a great big raspberry to all of those who leveled claims of fraud and artificial inflation of hits against T&TRG on Distrowatch Weekly. Tex got to that point because the distro is so good, not because anyone conspired to raise the hit counter.
Abe

Sep 20, 2007
6:14 AM EDT
Quoting:And a great big raspberry to all of those who leveled claims of fraud and artificial inflation of hits against T&TRG on Distrowatch Weekly.
All those doubters need to do to convince themselves is to look at PCLinuxOS download page

http://pclinuxos.org/index.php?option=com_ionfiles&Itemid=28

Granted, that is not an accurate measure either, but it does give an idea how popular PCLinuxOS is. I am sure that the number of installations is many times more than the number of downloads. I for one installed it on 7 computers (Mine and others).

So far, total of downloads is 348,397.

To be fair, I just want to mention one point. Although PCLOS took the No. one seat from Ubuntu, we can't truly claim that because, if we count all the variations of Ubuntu (K, E, X etc...) Ubuntu is still No. 1.

That doesn't mean Ubuntu is better, not at all, I still say PCLinuxOS has been the best so far. In my opinion of course.

thenixedreport

Sep 20, 2007
12:23 PM EDT
I knew it had taken over the #1 spot a couple of months ago. You see, the problem is this: They do not show an immediate time period right away. I kept checking for the last seven days (I had to change it every time I visited the site), and it would be #1. It shows statistics for the last 6 months, which is misleading.

Also, the page hit ranking counter only counts page hits of course. In this case however, I will say this: PCLOS has become quite popular, and hopefully, more good things will come. :)
tracyanne

Sep 20, 2007
12:41 PM EDT
Of course PCLOS is the better of the two (Unbuntu and PCLOS), after all PCLOS is based on Mandriva.
Abe

Sep 20, 2007
2:26 PM EDT
Quoting:after all PCLOS is based on Mandriva.
Good one Tracyanne. On the other hand, don't forget a student could surpass the teacher. :)

rijelkentaurus

Sep 20, 2007
3:53 PM EDT
Quoting: after all PCLOS is based on Mandriva.

And after all, Mandriva (well...Mandrake) is based on Red Hat. I think the teacher is safe in that comparison, but that is totally personal opinion and I encourage anyone to disagree with me. I happen to like all three because they all handle about the same on the command line. I admit to being a little less agile with Debian distros, as Red Hat's command like chkconfig, etc, are second nature to me. Of course, Red Hat is based less than an hour from me, so naturally it is regarded "as" Linux in these parts.
tracyanne

Sep 21, 2007
1:22 AM EDT
Quoting:And after all, Mandriva (well...Mandrake) is based on Red Hat.

Interestingly I have never managed to get Red working properly on any of my machines i've attempted to install it on, up to Fedora 5. Whereas Mandrake/Mandriva has worked perfectly on every machine I've tried it on, as in fact has PCLOS - I just prefer Mandriva, I happen to like URPMI, and I especially like what they've done to URPMI in 2008.
salparadise

Sep 21, 2007
3:23 AM EDT
I especially like what they've done to URPMI in 2008.

You can see into the future as well?

Wow, what company I'm in!
jacog

Sep 21, 2007
3:44 AM EDT
Oooh, best ye be getting that helmet of yours on again.
tracyanne

Sep 21, 2007
4:07 AM EDT
Quoting:You can see into the future as well?

;)
cyber_rigger

Sep 21, 2007
1:37 PM EDT

[url=http://www.google.com/trends?q=ubuntu, pclinuxos&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0]http://www.google.com/trends?q=ubuntu, pclinuxos&ctab=0&geo=...[/url]

Quoting: if we count all the variations of Ubuntu (K, E, X etc...) Ubuntu is still No. 1.

That would speak well for Debian too.
azerthoth

Sep 21, 2007
2:13 PM EDT
oooh if we count Ubuntu as Debian, then could we also partially count PCLOS as Debian too, since its package management system is Debian derived?

Debian is #1 after all, but we knew that already. (says the sabayon user)
Abe

Sep 21, 2007
5:41 PM EDT
Quoting:That would speak well for Debian too.
No doubt about it. Debian is in a league by itself. :)
Quoting:Debian is #1 after all, but we knew that already
Will always be. :) :)

Abe

Sep 21, 2007
5:54 PM EDT
Quoting:...just prefer Mandriva, I happen to like URPMI, and I especially like what they've done to URPMI in 2008.
Tracyanne,

I haven't tried Mandriva for a while now, but your unconditional love to Mandriva is tempting me to give it a try. I will let you know. Is it still available for download still! I will be checking.

devnet

Sep 21, 2007
8:03 PM EDT
Thanks to everyone in this thread...I'll pass the good wishes to the PCLinuxOS developers mailing list tonight :D
tracyanne

Sep 21, 2007
8:21 PM EDT
@Abe

http://www.tuxmachines.org/taxonomy/term/111 Mandriva 2008 RC1 Free.

I'm currently using Mandriva 2007.1 Power Pack, I'm waiting for the release of 2008, so I can get 2008 power pack (only available to Mandriva Club members)

I downloaded RC1 from here ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/devel/iso --> /2008.0/mandriva-linux-2008.0-free-rc1.i586.iso with wget.
azerthoth

Sep 21, 2007
8:33 PM EDT
devnet pass my wishes too, I may not have it installed on any of my systems any longer but I still hand it out as the best starter distro going. Its a great distro.
Abe

Sep 22, 2007
6:09 AM EDT
Quoting:Mandriva 2008 RC1 Free.

Thanks for the link, I was looking for it last night but couldn't find it.

I downloaded 2007.1 and looked at it briefly. It is pretty nice. I will download and install it on hard drive to get a closer look.

PCLinuxOS is so similar that makes wonder if PCLinuxOS has some kind of agreement with Mandriva. Dave might have info about that.

tracyanne

Sep 22, 2007
1:26 PM EDT
Quoting:PCLinuxOS is so similar

Yes they are remarkably similar, even taking into account the fact that PCLOS is derived from Mandriva.the Biggest differences, that I can see, are that PCLOS uses synaptic, and for me, that I can easily find the Win32,Quicktime and LibDVDcss packages on Mandriva, and that I get some extras because of my Mandriva Club Membership.
rijelkentaurus

Sep 22, 2007
1:36 PM EDT
Quoting: Win32,Quicktime and LibDVDcss packages on Mandriva

That's not exactly difficult in PCLOS, either....apt-get install foo. What sort of extras do you get from the Mandriva Club?
rijelkentaurus

Sep 22, 2007
1:41 PM EDT
And I see from DW that 2008 RC2 includes "significant kernel updates that improve support for certain ATA controllers and many audio chipsets". I am using a Vostro 1700 with ICH8 audio and Intel965 chipset, and the stock kernel in PCLOS won't output sound. I am using SAM 2007 (based on PCLOS) with a 2.6.22.x kernel (stock in PCLOS is 2.6.18.x) and it works fine, but some other programs (anything 3D, such as Glest) won't run correctly. I can recompile them for this kernel, but that sort of defeats the purpose of running a distro with binary repos. Long story made short, I'm gonna try out 2008 when it's finalized and see how it works on the laptop. If it works...then that'll be the one (at least until PCLOS upgrades their stock kernel.)

*EDIT: Checking Mandriva's site, it seems that part of the "significant kernel updates" are directly related to the problems I have had with Intel's High Def audio system...that might actually make this laptop operate 100% correctly for the first time...well, Red Hat 5 had no issues with it, but that's it. And I think that's odd...Red Hat, as an enterprise product, has an older kernel, but I have always found Red Hat to have the best hardware support, but YMMV.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 22, 2007
1:55 PM EDT
Decided to download PCLinuxOS 2007 live CD last night and installed it on an old P-3 650mhz machine that I have..

WOW!

With KDE the default GUI and Synaptic too, in a matter of minutes I had all the codecs and had downloaded most of the other programs I wanted. Without having to go hunting for them, adding repo's, inputting shell scripts or anything...Very Cool!

I currently use Debian and SuSE and have gotten used to their particular quirks and such in configuring them, but configuring PCLinuxOS was too easy.

I seriously sat in front of the computer in awe for several minutes, I couldn't believe it was that easy..

I believe it now.

It isn't bogging down the computer either and I can only assume that it will run even faster on my other, and much newer computers..

/heads off to find out.
tracyanne

Sep 22, 2007
2:42 PM EDT
Quoting:With KDE the default GUI and Synaptic too, in a matter of minutes I had all the codecs and had downloaded most of the other programs I wanted. Without having to go hunting for them, adding repo's, inputting shell scripts or anything...Very Cool!

That's what I get with Mandriva, on the same sort of hardware (I have mandriva 2007.1 with full KDE desktop running on a p3 500).
azerthoth

Sep 22, 2007
2:43 PM EDT
See Scott, now you know why those of us who have tried it and used it hand it out as the preeminent newbie distro. It doesn't get much easier than PCLOS. Even with all the ease that the configuration utilities offer, when you absolutely have to get down to hand hacking configuration files, such as being retentive about getting Samba set up perfectly, you can still do that too.

I'd still be using it myself if I hadn't made the switch to Sabayon/Gentoo.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 22, 2007
5:10 PM EDT
After trying PCLinuxOS I've been handing it out rather than Knoppix.

And that's saying a LOT. I've been handing out Knoppix CDs since {English} Knoppix began.

devnet

Sep 23, 2007
10:45 AM EDT
For all of you with sound issues...open synaptic up and add the 'testing' section to the repository. You only need one repository selected because they are all a mirror of the same one at ibiblio.

After enabling 'testing' you'll have access to the .20 and I believe the .22 kernels. I've been running the .20 kernel for quite some time with no problems. This should solve many problems for people.
usacomputertec

Sep 23, 2007
12:43 PM EDT
I've been using PCLinuxOS and have tried Ubuntu and the whole locked down Debian package thing scares me especially when you think about charging for the repo like CVS in Linspire oh ya did I forget to mention it's Ubuntu based? Maybe thats why Dell likes Ubuntu so much? Ubuntu = Next Micro$oft
azerthoth

Sep 23, 2007
8:05 PM EDT
um, what locked down package thing are you talking about. Debian is about as open as you can get and Ubuntu is nothing more than a prettied up, dumbed down, 6 month old snapshot of Debian Unstable ... for the most part.
rijelkentaurus

Sep 24, 2007
2:28 PM EDT
Quoting: After enabling 'testing' you'll have access to the .20 and I believe the .22 kernels. I've been running the .20 kernel for quite some time with no problems. This should solve many problems for people.

I am running SAM 2007 (built on PCLOS) with the 2.6.22.x kernel, and my sound works fine now. I know of one program that is giving me fits, and that's Glest. I get a floating point error. I am going to play a little with it and see how it goes. Any idea when a newer kernel is going to make it into the main PCLOS repos?
rijelkentaurus

Sep 24, 2007
2:51 PM EDT
tracyanne, have you ever used Mandriva's "e-learning platform"? I was wondering how good (or not) it was. That would potentially be something great for a new user, or (depending on what exactly it is) for an experienced user looking to go to the next level.
Abe

Sep 24, 2007
3:35 PM EDT
Quoting:I am using a Vostro 1700 with ICH8 audio and Intel965 chipset, and the stock kernel in PCLOS won't output sound. ... I am running SAM 2007 (built on PCLOS) with the 2.6.22.x kernel, and my sound works fine now.

I did have this problem on PCLinuxOS too but here is what I did to get it working

System=> Configure => Configure Your Computer Hardware=> Look at and configure hardware Sound=> ICH2 810 Chipset AC'97 Audio Controller Click run Config Tool (button in bottom right pane) Then select ALSA driver on [Edited***]left*** side pane

That took care of sound on PCLOS for me.

tracyanne

Sep 24, 2007
6:30 PM EDT
Quoting:tracyanne, have you ever used Mandriva's "e-learning platform"?

I think ffrom memory you can do an LPI certification course through e-learning.
rijelkentaurus

Sep 24, 2007
7:00 PM EDT
Cool.
tuxchick

Sep 24, 2007
7:34 PM EDT
Oh man, this is as sickening as all those ubuntu lovefests. Ew! I'm getting diabetes!
rijelkentaurus

Sep 24, 2007
8:08 PM EDT
Quoting: Oh man, this is as sickening as all those ubuntu lovefests. Ew! I'm getting diabetes!

It's all of the talk surrounding several sweet Linux distros, I know it.

And while we are on Ubuntu....Gutsy Tribe 5 runs (to steal a line from Tex) "like a scalded dog" on my laptop. This is easily the fastest so far on this box. I ain't an Ubuntu fan...but Gutsy is nice.

Sorry, TC, I just keep spooning the sugar.....
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 24, 2007
10:34 PM EDT
Well the Litmus test of trying out the live CD on my laptop went off without a hitch. It found all the hardware and configured the wireless with just a couple of clicks.

I couldn't get Debian, Ubuntu, or Knoppix to do that.

I am very very impressed, PCLinuxOS just jumped into my top two or three favorite distro's.

Scott
salparadise

Sep 24, 2007
10:44 PM EDT
Despite my preference for Gnome, I have to admit that PCLinuxOS is really very nice indeed. I've been running it at home for a few days now and apart from the fiddly bits to get the nvidia driver installed (somewhat harder than on Ubuntu - far a new user) it's very good indeed. Even taken into account the KDE-ness of KDE.

To anyone involved in the project - I saw a post on the PCLinuxOS forum talking about a Gnome version. Any news?
jacog

Sep 24, 2007
11:23 PM EDT
I have downloaded and booted up the PCL2007 disk, and from what I have seen thusfar I am quite impressed.

The only thing I didn't like was the default Windows XP-like theme, but all 'n all it worked rather well. Just not entirely sure why one would choose it over its parent, Mandriva, though. Anyone know of comparisons online one could look at?

The only third-tier distro I have ever tried was Mint, which I rather liked - so I am not opposed to those, but generally I stick to first and second-tier (mainly) distros. I guess I have some weird mental block that prevents me from running a distro derived from a distro derived from a distro.
tracyanne

Sep 25, 2007
1:43 AM EDT
Quoting:Just not entirely sure why one would choose it over its parent, Mandriva

Nor am I. PCLOS is very good, but when push comes to shove, I think Mandriva has the edge.
jdixon

Sep 25, 2007
2:31 AM EDT
> It's all of the talk surrounding several sweet Linux distros, I know it.

Strange, I almost never have to worry about that with my distro of choice. :)
jacog

Sep 25, 2007
2:40 AM EDT
Worry about what... people talking about your distro, or your distro being sweet? :)
jdixon

Sep 25, 2007
2:50 AM EDT
> Worry about what... people talking about your distro, or your distro being sweet? :)

Either. Most people seem to consider it "not user friendly", and never try it. Personally, I think it's just particular about who it makes friends with. :)
rijelkentaurus

Sep 25, 2007
7:33 AM EDT
Quoting: I think it's just particular about who it makes friends with. :)

That's natural, since it is commonly called the most Unix of Linuxes.
jdixon

Sep 25, 2007
7:58 AM EDT
tracyanne:

Your Sept. 21, 11:21 PM post has an ftp link which appears to be confusing LXer's formatting for some folks.
salparadise

Sep 25, 2007
8:32 AM EDT
I seem to have no textwrap on this thread. I'm having to close the sidebar and maximise firefox to read everything. It seems to be particular to this thread!
devnet

Sep 25, 2007
8:35 AM EDT
Sal,

http://www.linuxgator.org/Gnome/gnome_page/gnome.html

Enjoy! BTW, we have 2.19 in the repos and 2.20 packages are forthcoming as well :)
montezuma

Sep 25, 2007
11:54 AM EDT
> Either. Most people seem to consider it "not user friendly", and never try it. Personally, I think it's just particular about who it makes friends with. :)

My own view is that once you have used linux for about two years or so most distros (including Slack) are as easy as any other. Then it boils down to which you find less irritating. For me that is Red Hat and Ubuntu for different reasons.
rijelkentaurus

Sep 25, 2007
12:39 PM EDT
Devnet: The problem, per troubles from other distros, is more a problem with alsa than the kernel. Folks over at Zenwalk are using 2.6.22.7 and are still having problems. An upgrade to alsa 1.0.15 (I think that's right) is fixing the issues. It might be a combo of the two things, dunno. I am reinstalling PCLOS tonight to try it out some more, we'll see how it goes.
jdixon

Sep 25, 2007
1:13 PM EDT
> My own view is that once you have used linux for about two years or so most distros (including Slack) are as easy as any other.

Pretty much, yes. Once you've learned the basics, it's just a matter of learning how each distribution manages things. The things you're managing stay about the same across distributions, but where the tools are, what they're named, and how they work vary widely.

That's largely why I've stayed with Slackware. I can make it do anything I can do with any of the other distributions, admittedly sometimes with slightly more effort on my part. However, that extra effort means I actually understand more than I did when I started, which is a trade off that's usually worth paying. I've looked most of the other distros at one time or another, and of them all only Debian and Gentoo have any real attraction to me. Debian for it's large repository of packages and Gentoo for it's equally fine grained control of your system. But neither is attractive enough for me to give up Slackware's speed, stability, and familiarity.
Sander_Marechal

Sep 25, 2007
1:15 PM EDT
Quoting:that extra effort means I actually understand more than I did when I started

That's why I want to build a Linux From Scratch box one day. When I have some spare time (when wil I ever? :-)
Abe

Sep 25, 2007
2:25 PM EDT
rijelkentaurus,
Quoting:An upgrade to alsa 1.0.15 (I think that's right) is fixing the issues. It might be a combo of the two things, dunno.
I am running standard PCLOS with the latest updates as see below Linux PCLS-20 2.6.18.8.tex5 #1 SMP Thu May 10 11:36:58 WST 2007 i686 Pentium III (Coppermine) GNU/Linux

It worked with no problem per my previous post above. As you can see, the kernel of my system is 2.6.18.8. That should give an indication that a newer kernel release either not necessary to solve the problem or it is the problem, which I doubt.

Steven_Rosenber

Sep 25, 2007
2:38 PM EDT
Moving from Windows and /or Mac to Linux is a shock to the system. Literally. To go from getting a preinstalled OS and keeping it for the life of the box to changing Linux and BSD distros literally at will (I just figured out how having a separate /home partition makes this a little more tenable).

At one level, the ability to try as many distros as is necessary to figure out what works for a particular PC and person -- without committing anything financially -- is the "killer app" of free, open-source software.

Long may it wave, as they say.
tuxchick

Sep 25, 2007
2:39 PM EDT
Ya know tracyanne, if you would edit your post and delete the FTP URL, or insert some line breaks, then we could actually read the comments! I think that will fix it faster than waiting on Dave to fix whatever code glitch is causing the problem.
Sander_Marechal

Sep 25, 2007
2:57 PM EDT
I don't think Dave does any code fixes these days. I believe Bob is responsible for that now.
rijelkentaurus

Sep 25, 2007
3:11 PM EDT
Abe,

Your PC is old...PCLOS ran just peachy on an older P4 that I gave to my sister when I got my new laptop. This has the Intel 965 chipset, ICH8 audio and a Core2Duo. Everything is wonderful except for the sound. However, I have to say that the stock install (just completed, and in under 20 minutes!) lets sound come out through headphones wonderfully, but nothing through the speakers. If I upgrade to a newer kernel, I can get sound from all over, but other stuff doesn't work (I am going to test that again, however, since SAM is based on PCLOS but is not PCLOS). What appears to be the killer is the upgrade to 1.0.14 alsa during the initial update to bring everything up to speed. That will kill the sound. Right now I am only updating a few select things until I get a little braver. I'll install a newer kernel soon (anything special in PASS?) and upgrade everything, including alsa. We'll see how that goes. Thanks for the help, though, and hopefully I can get this straightened out. PCLOS is called the "distro hopper stopper" for a reason and I want to stop hopping for the sake of the sound. This is the distro that pulled me away from Mepis, and I was (and am) a big Mepis fan.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 25, 2007
3:16 PM EDT
Quoting:I don't think Dave does any code fixes these days. I believe Bob is responsible for that now.

That is correct, Bob is is the Master Control..as in Tron

:-)
Abe

Sep 25, 2007
3:43 PM EDT
Quoting:Ya know tracyanne,
Just change ftp to http or replace it with the link below. It should correct the issue.

http://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2008.0...

salparadise

Sep 27, 2007
9:14 PM EDT
@devnet

Cheers for the link. Downloaded and installed. Very nice. Happiness is a well configured gnome.
ColonelPanik

Sep 28, 2007
4:45 AM EDT
PCLinuxOS is by far the coolest install ever. It's only on my lappy now, if I can fluff that up with all the multimedia stuff and IF if the PCLinuxOS community is anywhere near as good as the Ubuntu group we may switch all our machines over.

The forum is what will really decide if I stay with PCLinux or not.
hkwint

Sep 28, 2007
6:27 AM EDT
A bit sad to see PCLOS uses Linux-2.6.18. Are there updates / patches for PCLOS kernel or something? I'm asking here because I know we have very competent PCLOS users over here.

I'm using no-sources-2.6.20-r2 on Gentoo right now, but it's discontinued. That's rather sad, it boots much faster than a standard Gentoo kernel, and it's far more responsive. I've installed Debian next to Gentoo to move some data in my evms-array in Gentoo, when I decided I'm going to phase Gentoo out in the future in favour of... don't know yet. Anyway, since I used no-sources, I have been dissatified with the standard Linux kernel. Therefore, I think I should try out PCLOS and install some new decent kernel in it, with CFS CPU-sched I hope (using Con's RDSL right now; using the 'jump' option to choose from 10000 mp3's in audacious is much 'faster' / 'more reactive' now, and it boots quicker). I need at least 2.6.23-rc1 to change the sched I believe.

Any thoughts on this; is this possible without too much hassle, or is it going to take up my whole weekend? What's the Mandriva / PCLOS way to update the kernel? (I know Gentoo is one of the only distro's where you do that almost 'all manually, no problem with that, but normally there's a quicker way).

I will try to keep you updated. I hope to even run some benchmarks, but can't promise that yet. Only so few time and so much to do!
azerthoth

Sep 28, 2007
3:56 PM EDT
hk, let me plug my favorite, if your already using Gentoo there is no reason you shouldnt find yourself at home in Sabayon. As far as kernel compiling goes Gentoo/Sabayon have one of the easiest systems for building your own that I have found. Emerge vanilla-source and then feeding genkernel the command to do its thing, and module-rebuild rebuild. poof and done. Much better and easier than doing a Debian kernel for instance.

I'm not sure about no-sources, but a few minutes with emerge should switch that around with no problems. The current vanilla-source in the Gentoo repo is 2.6.23r7 I believe as I was looking at it 2 days ago when I almost burned up my laptop before realizing the cooling fan had died. (New laptop time woohooo)
devnet

Sep 29, 2007
11:51 AM EDT
Quoting:A bit sad to see PCLOS uses Linux-2.6.18. Are there updates / patches for PCLOS kernel or something? I'm asking here because I know we have very competent PCLOS users over here.

Latest .20 and .22 kernels are in the 'testing' portion of the repository. You'll need to enable it to see them.

On a side note...fresh installs from 2007 are now having to download over 500MB...so look for an update release soon :D
techiem2

Sep 29, 2007
11:55 AM EDT
Quoting:On a side note...fresh installs from 2007 are now having to download over 500MB...so look for an update release soon :D

I just noticed that. I just switched Mom's comp over to SAM and started an update. So far I like it. It's nice and quick. There's an odd windowing glitch I'm trying to figure out at the moment, but other than that I'm liking it.
hkwint

Sep 29, 2007
12:26 PM EDT
OK, there's a testing portion, could have found that out for myself if I wasn't that lazy... Thanks. Sadly, I haven't enough spare HD-space on both my PC's, and in my opinion one has to install a distro before one can say anything sensible a bout it. Since the type of EVMS partitions I choose can't be shrunk, it seems, I have to find another solution. Having heard that much about PCLOS I just have to test it!

You cannot post until you login.