Inaccessble story.

Story: The new office suite that runs on Linux, BSD, Windows and OS XTotal Replies: 21
Author Content
Alcibiades

Oct 11, 2007
6:14 AM EDT
"You don't have permission to access /click/2007/10/the_new_office_suite_that_runs.html on this server."

Similarly with the $0 laptop stories.
jdixon

Oct 11, 2007
6:22 AM EDT
Hmm. It worked fine for me just now. Steven's hosting service has been having a number of problems recently, so it's most likely an intermittent problem on their end.
Alcibiades

Oct 11, 2007
6:42 AM EDT
Steve just replied to me - it seems to be a deliberate blocking of some regions due to a spam problem, which they will fix in a few days. Pity, but one understands that there are circumstances in which this happens. Will keep trying.
hkwint

Oct 11, 2007
10:22 AM EDT
The story is removed for now, since it doesn't seem right to offer non-reachable stories.
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 11, 2007
10:38 AM EDT
Seems to work for me, I have tried it a few times.
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 11, 2007
10:57 AM EDT
I put it back up, the link seems to be working consistently..
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 11, 2007
11:20 AM EDT
We're in the process of upgrading from Movable Type 3.2 to MT 4.0, and what they tell me is that when the upgrade is complete, the IP blocking will end.

Believe me, it's as frustrating for me as it is for you. Traffic is falling through the floor, comments have gone down to nothing.

They promised me: no blocked IPs and captchas for comment verification (instead of Typekey, which nobody seems to want to use).
jdixon

Oct 11, 2007
11:24 AM EDT
> I put it back up, the link seems to be working consistently..

It works for most people Scott. But Steven's provider does seem to be blocking a large segment of users. Maybe it's time for him to look for alternative hosting arrangements.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 11, 2007
12:49 PM EDT
Quoting:instead of Typekey, which nobody seems to want to use

Ofcourse not. Typekey is a bad implementation of a good idea. It's nice to be able to log into different websites with the same account. Doubly so if you can link disparate sites together and build up one identity instead of a different one on each site. It's just that doing it centralized on someone else's server is a bad idea. Do you trust six apart? Really trust them?

I'd love to see something that works like typekey but provides decentralized authentication and is fully open, much like jabber does and is. A few months back I was actually thinking about implementing a GPG-based authentication system for websites. I.e, server sends a random string to the browser. Browser encrypts it with private key. Server decrypts it with public key fetched from a public GPG keyserver and if it matches, you're authenticated. I never got it past the "thinking about how cool it would be" stage though.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 11, 2007
12:59 PM EDT
It's a funny thing. I don't mind being a registered users to post at LXer, where registration has the added value of allowing users to post stories. On Blogger, you can use your Google account to sign in, or comment anonymously if the blog owner so chooses.

I think it all boils down to Typekey and Movable Type not being the "big dogs" in the blogging-software space. The main reason that captchas are not part of the default Movable Type setup is that they would make Typekey even less relevant it already is.

Regarding Movable Type in general, once you've blogged in one of the database-modeled systems like Blogger or WordPress, with instant saves, and no rebuilding of the blog ever, Movable Type feels so yesterday ...

If I weren't doing the Click blog for work, you can bet I'd be using WordPress or Blogger.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 11, 2007
1:11 PM EDT
Yeah, but LXer is just one website out of many. One account out of many. One identity out of many. Plus, you trust LXer or else you wouldn't be trying to comment here and register for it. It's not the same for TypeKey. It's just the one typekey account being your whole identity wherever you go. It's much more important. Plus, the fact that you trust e.g. LXer doesn't mean that you trust Six Apart. And trust is a big thing for FOSS people.

I don't trust Six Apart enough to have them hold my full web identity and that's why I never got a TypeKey account.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 11, 2007
2:33 PM EDT
It's not so much that I trust LXer, because I do, but that the community here is so good, knowledgeable and active who wouldn't want to be a member and make comments?

I'm a big DesktopLinux.com fan, but I am not registered at that site, same for oreillynet.com, blogs.zdnet.com and ArsTechnica. Those are all sites I check daily and which I feel do an excellent job, but I don't feel that I need to be a registered user at any of them.

I think the common theme is that none of them treats comments with much respect. at DesktopLinux.com, comments never seem to show up unless you seek them out. And there aren't that many of them (a self-fulfilling prophecy?).

oreillynet.com is the closest to making me want to register (and I have, but I haven't made many comments). I guess if anything is that big of a deal, it gets linked in LXer, and it's just so much better to comment over here.

blogs.zdnet.com has the annoying habit of making you refresh the page each and every time you want to see a new comment. That's an abusive way of generating page views. We play that game here at the Daily News, and I tell people, what you gain in page views will be lost in people too pissed off to come back.

ArsTechnica ... again, it's a site that doesn't really give its comments much prominence, so I'd rather not waste my time.

But it all depends on how badly you want to comment. On our most popular blog, about USC football (http://insidesocal.com/usc), there are plenty of Typekey-registered commenters because those people just can't hold it in.

jdixon

Oct 11, 2007
3:43 PM EDT
> ...about USC football ... because those people just can't hold it in.

You know, if this weren't a family friendly site, I could think of some very good rejoinders to that. :) Of course, I'm a WVU graduate, which has some bearing on the matter.
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 11, 2007
3:48 PM EDT
Thank You for the compliments Steven, it is our community and the quality of the conversations about the news of the day that keep people coming back.

jdixon

Oct 11, 2007
3:54 PM EDT
> ...it is our community and the quality of the conversations about the news of the day that keep people coming back.

Agreed.
ComputerBob

Oct 11, 2007
4:39 PM EDT
I felt a very strong sense of "bait and switch" when the present tense of this story's headline told me that the software exists right now, but the story itself stated that the software won't even exist until some time next year. To stop misleading readers, the headline should be changed to something like "An office suite that will run.... is expected to be released next year."
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 12, 2007
8:57 AM EDT
Point taken. But if KWord can get the typographical quote marks at the beginning of lines to face the right direction, it's back to hyperbole.
hkwint

Oct 12, 2007
1:54 PM EDT
OK, I'm sorry for removing the story while it may have worked for others (if that's what I did)?

My reasoning was, if it didn't work for me, it would work for nobody, but that is proven false (I wasn't aware of systems like that?). I'm glad it "seems" fixed, but I still suffer from 'forbidden' errors when trying to read the story. I tried from two (or three, I'm actually not sure) different ISP's, in case that matters.
jdixon

Oct 12, 2007
2:01 PM EDT
> ...but I still suffer from 'forbidden' errors when trying to read the story. I tried from two (or three, I'm actually not sure) different ISP's, in case that matters.

They're probably being brain dead and blocking the entire country or some such. Have you tried using tor or one of the other proxies? That should bypass the problem.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 12, 2007
10:23 PM EDT
Quoting:I still suffer from 'forbidden' errors when trying to read the story. I tried from two (or three, I'm actually not sure) different ISP's, in case that matters.

Same here.

@Steven: I don't know who your sysadmin is, but slap him on the back of the head will you. The system he implemented is brain dead. My guess is that he was just too lazy to type in (or generate from logfiles) a list of specific IP addresses that caused the problem and simply banned large blocks of IP ranges instead. Doing the latter is fine just to stop the immediate DDoS attack, but after that he should go back immediately and start narrowing down the ranges as much as possible.
azerthoth

Oct 13, 2007
7:46 AM EDT
Heh, when I was working with another web site I had managed to tick off a script kiddie after I closed a door he had found to the site and had mangled it. Luckily he either wasn't too bright or wasn't too malicious so the damage he did was actually fairly minimal. However once I shut the door on him we promptly were on the receiving end of a DDOS. A little investigation showed that the whole thing was coming from Turkey, as far as I know the IP block for that entire country is still in effect at that site.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 13, 2007
9:20 PM EDT
Yep, they blocked entire countries. The word is that when the blog software is upgraded from Movable Type 3.2 to 4.0 -- a process that is in no way seamless, by the way, the IP blocks will be removed.

It was supposed to be a one-day job, but templates, tagging and other blog marginalia are not showing up correctly in MT 4.0. So we'll see.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!