And the point is...

Story: An open letter to Steve BallmerTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
bigg

Nov 01, 2007
5:26 AM EDT
...what, exactly?

It doesn't even say why Windows will be used. Mandriva's problems the last few years are becoming clear, and it probably has little to do with Steve Ballmer.
dinotrac

Nov 01, 2007
6:31 AM EDT
Although, being Nigeria, which is rather infamous for being the most corrupt place on the planet Earth, and, quite possibly, several star systems beyond ours, one is permitted to draw reasonable concluesions.

Again -- I don't generally like to speculate, but, to go through an entire purchasing process, sign the deal and take the goods, then switch before you ever use it?

Sounds VERY fishy.

Unless, I suppose, Madriva was able to offer a better deal on the Intel PCs than anybody else.

Oh well, I admit it's just a conjecture on my part.
azerthoth

Nov 01, 2007
1:12 PM EDT
Ya know, looking at it from the other side of the coin ... how many of us buy windows machines and promptly gut them and put in Linux? It smacks of "WAAAAA, your doing what we do to you ... no fair."
dinotrac

Nov 01, 2007
1:15 PM EDT
> It smacks of "WAAAAA, your doing what we do to you ... no fair

Absolutely, but you do have to wonder what Microsoft ponied up to make that happen.

Let us not forget that, for any organization using employees to do its work, replacing OS's costs money. Unless Madriva had really snared itself an unbelievable deal on PCs, one wonders why they would do the rip.

jdixon

Nov 01, 2007
1:18 PM EDT
The real question is, are those licensed copies of Windows they'll be using to replace Mandriva? Given the possibility that they're not, don't you suppose Mandriva could have an ulterior motive in pointing out the comments to Microsoft?
azerthoth

Nov 01, 2007
1:24 PM EDT
I'm thinking that being Nigeria it could just be that the purchasing agent found a way to get another kick back.
Abe

Nov 01, 2007
4:37 PM EDT
Quoting:Sounds VERY fishy.
I know a lot about Nigeria. I assure you they wouldn't have a change of heart like that without an exchange of a large sum.

moopst

Nov 01, 2007
7:36 PM EDT
Not fishy at all. Simple economics: Linux is free (as in worth $0) and Windows is worth some negative number whose absolute value is much more than zero.

I know, I used to work at a telecommunications company that had to cowtow to M$ for the MSN business. Every week I'd get emails with all the IIS web sites that need patching, including customer facing web sites. Some web companies value downtime at an order of magnitude of negative $10,000 per minute - put that in your "Get the Fud" TCO pipe and smoke it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!