It actually works

Story: RadeonHD 1.0.0 Driver ReleasedTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Egon_Spengler

Nov 30, 2007
5:32 AM EDT
I recently replaced my aging 9200 with an HD2600XT. Fglrx on Debian unstable didn't get the job done, mostly due to my laziness in not tracking down the problem. I stuck with vesa for a few days, then last night this was announced. I grabbed the git source, compiled and installed, and I am again able to play Kohan, Majesty Gold and Heroes 3. No hardware acceleration as yet, so a few games will just have to wait until it shows, but, overall, Hooray!
jezuch

Nov 30, 2007
2:01 PM EDT
Yep. I recently bought a motherboard with integrated Radeon chip. Biiiiiiiiiiig mistake. This chip is only supported by vesa, fglrx and radeonhd drivers. I'm now suffering flgrx and with each minute hate it more. Unfortunately radeonhd currently works (mostly?) like vesa and so the video decoding and scaling is done by CPU (which kills performance for practically everything, and even on a newish processor). But for everything else 2D it feels so fast compared to fglrx that it's breathtaking ;)
azerthoth

Nov 30, 2007
4:07 PM EDT
While I have never owned an ATI card, and odds are I never will. I was under the impression that ATI's new drivers were supporting aiglx and dropping fglrx. I'll have to take a look at it though but so far no one has come through the support channel asking about it while I was on.
jezuch

Dec 01, 2007
2:41 AM EDT
Quoting:I was under the impression that ATI's new drivers were supporting aiglx and dropping fglrx.

And it's a bad thing? fglrx should die horrible death not only because it's proprietary, but also because it's total crap. RadeonHD is a new driver developed by "community" (which currently means Novell) based on documentation released by AMD/ATI. There's no acceleration there yet, but they're working on it :)
dinotrac

Dec 01, 2007
5:35 AM EDT
>(which currently means Novell)

Shhh. That's a bad word in these parts.

Does make me wonder, though.

If Novell continues it's long tradition of supporting free software projects, will people forgive them for the Microsoft deal?

If so, how long will it take?

Does it help that the deal has not caused any negative consequences for free software? Is it too early to tell? If so, how long is long enough?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!