netgear

Story: Linux-based NAS storage devices expand capacityTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
tuxchick

Dec 22, 2007
5:50 PM EDT
Netgear used to be considered the junk brand, but I've been buying netgear widgets here and there, and they're been good little performers. And unlike Linksys and D-Link, they don't fall over in shock at the notion of windoze not being the whole world. My Cisco-assimiliated chums smirk at me, but I get a lot more bang for my buck than they do!
tracyanne

Dec 22, 2007
10:47 PM EDT
I find Netgear quite reliable.
ColonelPanik

Dec 23, 2007
5:01 AM EDT
Which ones do you have? Which ones work with Linux?
azerthoth

Dec 23, 2007
9:29 AM EDT
I have had great luck with D-Link personally, after my last Linksys though not being capable of assigning static IP addresses I wont touch one of those again.
Scott_Ruecker

Dec 23, 2007
9:51 AM EDT
I have a Netgear WGR614v6 that has not so much has hiccuped in the nine or so months I have had it.

I have accessed and configured the interface using Debian, SuSE and PCLinuxOS.

At any one time I have a laptop and one or more desktops hooked up and I have never had an issue connecting to it.

wjl

Dec 24, 2007
11:12 PM EDT
Aye - the small little router and switches thingies (I'm talking about those in a blue metal box) are really cool.

Sadly, it's a whole lot of a different story when it comes to wireless gear. I once got one of those "wrong" type of PCMCIA cards made in China - and there was no other option than to run them with ndiswrapper. I was swearing like hell at both Netgear and Broadcom...

Those days are over - that old laptop without built-in wireless is gone like the company who owned it...
ColonelPanik

Dec 25, 2007
8:28 AM EDT
Netgear website, nothing about supporting Linux.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!