Living under a rock for the past 9 years?

Story: Opinion: 11 Predictions for Free Software in 2008Total Replies: 6
Author Content
herzeleid

Jan 01, 2008
10:27 AM EDT
The author wonders whether 2008 may be the year in which linux finally gets "free video drivers capable of 3D acceleration".

Wake up, Rip Van Winkle!

As I type this I'm using the free, GPL'd drivers on the intel 945 chipset in my motherboard, and I assure you the intel drivers are fully 3D capable, as the OpenGL screensavers, desktop eye candy and 3D FPS performance can attest.

This is not a new development either - I clearly recall running free, GPL'd drivers on my 3DFX video card to play the newly downloaded quake 3 arena demo in 1999.

Where has the author been?

azerthoth

Jan 01, 2008
12:49 PM EDT
Some distro to become the "first" to ship with the eye candy enabled by default? That crown has already been captured. While uncertain if it was the "first" but Gentoo based Sabayon has been shipping with the 3D eye candy enabled even on the liveCD for some time now. Ver 3.3 I dont recall, but 3.4 in all it's versions for certain.

There may well have been one earlier, but if so it was not one that I had ran across.
tracyanne

Jan 01, 2008
12:53 PM EDT
Quoting:Some distro to become the "first" to ship with the eye candy enabled by default?

Mandriva One, the live CD, has the option of running with plain 2D desktop , 3D desktop (the Cube) or Mettisse, depending on one's Video card one can use any one of the three.
dinotrac

Jan 02, 2008
12:41 AM EDT
>Where has the author been?

Out in reality land, perhaps?

The cards at the forefront of 3D performance today, as opposed to ten years ago, are ATI and nvidia.

It's nice, really nice, that we have Intel drivers. It would be nicer still if you could get Intel cards for non-Intel MBs. It's also nice that I could properly drive my old Voodoo card, but, in the real world of here and now, it ain't hardly fair to call the author Rip Van Winkle. In fact, you sound more like the old snoozer.
herzeleid

Jan 02, 2008
10:09 AM EDT
Quoting: dino: in the real world of here and now, it ain't hardly fair to call the author Rip Van Winkle. In fact, you sound more like the old snoozer.
Wow, looks like you're starting off the new year with a bang. OK now, take a deep breath, go back and read the original article. Note that the author wondered whether 2008 might be the year that linux finally gets free video drivers capable of 3D acceleration.

I merely call your attention to the fact that OSS drivers capable of 3D acceleration already exist for linux, and existed for linux 8 years ago - and your personal video card preferences don't have any bearing on the question.

2008 may indeed be the year that nvidia and ati cards finally get GPL'd hardware accelerated drivers, but that is a different subject.
dinotrac

Jan 02, 2008
10:36 AM EDT
herzeleid -

I agree that it is fair to correct the guy. It is fair that we have had them for top line hardware in the past (Voodo) and that we have them for Intel now.

But, seriously, he's more guilty of being incomplete than being asleep at the wheel.
herzeleid

Jan 02, 2008
10:54 AM EDT
> But, seriously, he's more guilty of being incomplete than being asleep at the wheel.

Sure, I'll accept that in all actuality he was likely more guilty of sloppy wording than being asleep at the wheel, but it certainly did give that impression.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!