Nautilus bug is fixed

Story: Debian Lenny doesn't fix my Nautilus problem, but a look at the bug report tells me why the issue is "resolved"Total Replies: 43
Author Content
bigg

Jan 23, 2008
6:25 AM EDT
I have two Lenny systems that both use the same Lenny repositories. Both show version 2.18.3 of Nautilus. It was maybe two weeks ago that I had an update that restarted Nautilus on both machines. I hoped that the crash bug was fixed, so I tested both as soon as the update was done. The bug was fixed on only one of the machines.

But this just represents a larger problem with Lenny. Why is it so out of date? Gutsy has had Gnome 2.20 for months. My new distro, Arch, has a sizable development community, but nothing like Debian. What is taking Debian so long when Arch put out a stable package ages ago?

It's more than just Gnome. LyX, for instance, was stuck in 1.4.x forever.

Now I have to take back all of the good things I said about Debian. Lenny has been a huge disappointment. The Nautilus bug is just one example.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 23, 2008
6:38 AM EDT
http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=nautilus http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=gnome
dinotrac

Jan 23, 2008
6:43 AM EDT
Sander -

Over my head. Your links seem to indicate that Debian is a hopeless case, but I don't think that was your intent.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 23, 2008
7:09 AM EDT
Lenny is _testing_. Anything and everything could be broken and it won't be fixed until someone feels like fixing it.

I don't understand why anyone is surprised.

If you want the latest packages, run "unstable". If you want stability, run "stable".

Bigg, you're trying to make Lenny into some kind of continually updated "stable", and it isn't.

Edit: If I may expand on this idea a bit.

Stable is for servers, and maybe newbies to Linux. Someone who wants it to "just work", who don't know nothin bout software versions, and doesn't care.

Then, as experience grows, as software versions become important or just because (like me) one likes to dance near the edge of the cliff, then run Unstable.

But testing is _testing_. It is not for servers, it is not for systems you expect to work, it's neither the latest software versions nor guaranteed to work _at_all_.

I made the same mistake when I first ran Debian. I read the descriptions and thought "testing" would be right for me since I'm not computer illiterate. But then something didn't work. But before I could blame Debian, someone let me know what "testing" really was.

My hope is that someone reading this article and the comments will realize the difference between the perception of "testing" and the reality, before they get discouraged.
wjl

Jan 23, 2008
7:13 AM EDT
bigg,

I think maybe you don't know how Debian is developed. New packages go into Sid (and are taken there from Ubuntu and others), and it's at least 10 days without big show-stopping bug reports, before they can eventually enter Lenny.

That is the reason why Debian has its reputation of being one of the most stable Linux distributions amongst them all.

Saying that Lenny is a disappointment is unfair IMHO, since it is a moving target, and not yet ready. Maybe you should try in December or so, and until then use Ubuntu (which is great) or any other up-to-date-eyecandy-thing.

Kind regards, wjl
bigg

Jan 23, 2008
7:33 AM EDT
I will take a better approach: move to a different distribution.

Gnome 2.18 was released in March - ten months ago.

Gnome 2.20 was released in September - four months ago.

If Debian is still in the testing phase with Gnome 2.18, I'm sorry, but there's no hope that I will find it suitable. There's no reason that a four month old version of one of the big two DE's should still be in testing for that matter.

In addition: I had the Nautilus bug only in Debian. Not only is the package way behind what you get with other distributions, it has bugs not present in those distributions as well.

Maybe I shouldn't say Lenny is a disappointment. Instead, I should just say I'm disappointed that I no longer believe Debian is appropriate for desktop use. You are entitled to your own opinion. I will just stop promoting Debian.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 23, 2008
7:40 AM EDT
> You are entitled to your own opinion. I will just stop promoting Debian.

Do me a favor and consider just not promoting Debian "testing", please?

Sander_Marechal

Jan 23, 2008
8:10 AM EDT
Quoting:There's no reason that a four month old version of one of the big two DE's should still be in testing for that matter.

Yes there is. *nothing* gets into stable. Only security fixes. Never new versions. Everything stays in testing instead. When someone reports a bug in testing, people fix it in unstable, then wait ten days for the package to flow back to testing. At some random point in time when they feel enough bugs have been fixed, someone renames stable to old-stable, renames testing to stable and then creates a new testing. That's how debian works.

Debian unstable (sid): Always the bleeding edge. May not work at all.

Debian testing (lenny): At least 10 days without show stopper bugs. No missing dependencies. Starts out buggy but gradually becomes very stable and solid after some time (currently halfway there).

Debian stable: rock solid and tested. Never gets any updated packages, just important bug fixes and security updates.
dinotrac

Jan 23, 2008
8:12 AM EDT
>Do me a favor and consider just not promoting Debian "testing", please?

But isn't that the problem?

Wasn't testing introduced to make the glacial pace of Debian releases tolerable for desktop users and others who could not or did not wish to live with stone-aged software?

Without testing, you are back to stable and unstable, choosing stone knives that absolutely will work and nifty lasers that might blow up in your face.
azerthoth

Jan 23, 2008
8:16 AM EDT
bigg, debian stable is set in stone and is not considered a rolling release. Security patches get applied and thats about it. Debian Testing on the other hand is a rolling release and where the "new" packages are after spending some quality time in unstable and perhaps expirimental.

The only way to be in the stable release is to have been already there when the package freeze happened. Please dont blast a distro because you do not know or understand its release policy. When I was running Debian, a good 90% of the users I conversed with ran testing rather than stable, because they understood that stable refered to 2 things, not just one. Stable as in rock solid and stable in that instabilities due to package changes will not be introduced into that branch.
bigg

Jan 23, 2008
8:40 AM EDT
> When I was running Debian, a good 90% of the users I conversed with ran testing rather than stable, because they understood that stable refered to 2 things, not just one. Stable as in rock solid and stable in that instabilities due to package changes will not be introduced into that branch.

> Yes there is. *nothing* gets into stable.

I have no idea what you guys are referring to. I'm talking about Lenny. That's also what the story is about.

I'm talking about fact that Debian still has really, really old software in testing. If Ubuntu is based on Debian and *released* Gnome 2.18 in April, and Debian is still testing it, it's going to leave me scratching my head.

You can cite the Debian policies all you want, but that will not change the fact that Debian development is slow.

Or maybe I missed the memo saying that Linux users no longer care about having software that's up-to-date. Realistically, what percentage of regular Linux users don't like semi-recent versions of software? With Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, and numerous other distros, you get new packages and while you can get bugs here and there, Debian testing is not free of bugs either. Good luck with unstable, that's a heck of a price to pay to get the same software you get in Mandriva or PCLinuxOS.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 23, 2008
8:41 AM EDT
> Wasn't testing introduced to make the glacial pace of Debian releases tolerable for desktop users and others who could not or did not wish to live with stone-aged software?

Not at all. "Testing" is merely the developer's repository for stuff that might eventually make it into the next "stable".

It's not a "release", and your use of the term "introduced" makes it seem like someone decided people should use it for anything at all. This is not the case.

"Testing" is only reachable to end users because of the open nature of Debian, and the generosity of so many people to do installation and compatibility _testing_ for the greater community. Closing it off would make voluntary _testing_ of the packages that might be the next "stable" harder for everyone.

"Testing" is the least stable, the most unusable, the most chaotic of the three. It _should_not_be_used_ except by people who want to help find where things are broken.

Bigg found one of the broken things. Good for him.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 23, 2008
8:52 AM EDT
> I have no idea what you guys are referring to. I'm talking about Lenny. That's also what the story is about.

"Lenny" is the name of the _next_ "stable" release, presently being built up in the "testing" stage.

Again the confusion. "Sid" is "unstable". Sid breaks all his toys. Sid gets the packages first, to have them thrashed on by people like me to see if they break.

I'm kind of sorry that the name of the next "stable" release is used, even though it is not in any meaning of the word a "release" yet, but people really like to have some idea of the future. Thus the popularity of weather predictions even though they tend to be more wrong than right.

"Lenny" has not been released at all. Nada. Nicht. Nein. It's just being tested, and will remain "testing" for the foreseeable future.

Bob_Robertson

Jan 23, 2008
8:55 AM EDT
> You can cite the Debian policies all you want, but that will not change the fact that Debian development is slow.

So run "Unstable" like I do. I assure you that Debian's "Unstable" is excellent, and if you just stop updating it when it works the way you want it to, then you might as well call what you have "Bigg Stable" and make it your own distribution.

"Unstable" only referrs to the fact that packages are changing. But "testing" is like a box of chocolates: You never know what you are going to get.
dinotrac

Jan 23, 2008
9:01 AM EDT
Bob -

How long have you been using Debian?
Bob_Robertson

Jan 23, 2008
9:16 AM EDT
> How long have you been using Debian?

I first installed .93 from "testing" around May 1995. Two weeks later I had downloaded the floppies for .92 "stable", whose name I cannot remember, since what was in "testing" didn't work for me.

That same machine ran until 2003 when a damned spammer used my domain as his fake From, and the mailbombs, hate mail and bounce menssages finally overcame the neolithic mail system.

In 2000 my Win95 laptop install finally choked, and I put Unstable on it, rather than Stable, because of all the same reasons that Bigg doesn't want to use Stable. While there have been some issues, such as the XFree86-Xorg conversion, the 2.4.10 swap-storms, udev and such during moments of radical change, they have been surprisingly easy to get through without the requirement of reinstalling.

That's not to say reinstalling once every few years to erase the cruft isn't a good idea, just that it's every few _years_ and really just a choice of convenience rather than a requirement, and all this in about as up-to-date a set of packages one can have without running Gentoo.
dinotrac

Jan 23, 2008
9:38 AM EDT
That's interesting, Bob.

My memory must be fuzzy, because I sure don't remember there being a testing branch when I used Debian in the 1998-2000 timeframe. I thought that it was added after that. Am I thinking of a different branch?
dinotrac

Jan 23, 2008
9:42 AM EDT
Looks like my memory ain't that fuzzy. From http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/project-history/ch-detaile... :

Before woody could even begin to be prepared for release, a change to the archive system on ftp-master had to be made. Package pools, which enabled special purpose distributions, such as the new "Testing" distribution used for the first time to get woody ready for release, were activated on ftp-master in mid December 2000. A package pool is just a collection of different versions of a given package, from which multiple distributions (currently experimental, unstable, testing, and stable) can draw packages, which are then included in that distribution's Packages file.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 23, 2008
9:42 AM EDT
> Am I thinking of a different branch?

Must be, but I can't imagine what it could be. There's always been a "testing".

Edit: Ok, but where did my experience in 1995 come from? How about this: They finally named the testing stage explicitly in 2000, because otherwise I couldn't have had the experience that I did.

I'm not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes here. I went and checked and the earliest posting in debian-user I could find for myself was 1997. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to let it go since I cannot prove a thing. :^)

Sander_Marechal

Jan 23, 2008
2:09 PM EDT
Quoting:I'm talking about fact that Debian still has really, really old software in testing. If Ubuntu is based on Debian and *released* Gnome 2.18 in April, and Debian is still testing it, it's going to leave me scratching my head.

There are two things you need to know here:

1) Ubuntu does not pull Gnome from Debian. It pulls Gnome directly from Gnome. Ubuntu and Debian are totally untelated as far as Gnome is concerned.

2) Ubuntu has about 1700 packages. Debian about 22.000. It takes a bit longer to stabilize :-)

Quoting:When I was running Debian, a good 90% of the users I conversed with ran testing rather than stable

I bet that was not too long before a new stable release. The testing branch is really messy in the beginning but becomes more solid over time. I'd say from about 6 months before planned release it's pretty solid to use, but not befor (try testing again in 3 months or so). This goes double for the months/years leading up to Debian Etch.

Thing is, Debian Etch took really, really long to complete. This means that many more people will take the risk of running testing instead of stable in order to get newer versions of the packages. This means more testers and more bugs found, which means it takes even longer to get all the bugs solved again. I'm willing to speculate that Debian's stable branch is as rock solid as it is *because* it takes so long to produce that people run testing instead.
dinotrac

Jan 23, 2008
2:30 PM EDT
>I'm willing to speculate that Debian's stable branch is as rock solid as it is *because* it takes so long to produce that people run testing instead.

Which is all very good stuff, but seems to emphasize that Debian should not be considered to be a desktop OS.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 23, 2008
2:45 PM EDT
I think a lot of the confusion stems from the perception that Ubuntu is based on Debian Unstable (or even Experimental) at times, and therefore Debian Testing must be more "stable" than a regular six-month Ubuntu release. Going by the same logic, Debian Stable should be way, way more stable than Ubuntu. I'm not saying this is true, but it's a perception that's out there.

I think the reality is much more complicated. There are packages in Debian Etch (now stable) that are broken -- the big one for me is the Ted word processor, which I really wanted to run but which can neither open an old file nor create a new one. I managed to "get by" with AbiWord, but if Ted can work in any number of other distros (it's curiously absent from Ubuntu), it should work in Debian. And while I love the Epiphany browser, there are a few quirks in it, too, even in Etch.

Be that as it may ... corralling the 20-something-thousand packages in Debian is a monumental task, and the organizational structure they have over there is nothing short of amazing.

Again, I can kind of, sort of see how the structure of Debian and its developers gets packages ready for inclusion in the various versions of the distro, but whether or not there's anybody looking at the overall distro and the user experience -- that I don't know.

I'd love to see the Debian installer (which is pretty great, by the way) make it easier for a user to choose GNOME, KDE, Xfce, Fluxbox or what have you (the "desktop=" boot parameter is way too clunky), and I'd also like to see the Debian Project offer a true live CD that also serves as an installer (it's Ubuntu's not-really-a-secret secret).

I'd even welcome, in addition to the "desktop" install, a "basic" option that trims down the packages somewhat to make a Ubuntu-sized, GNOME-based Debian with the same relative simplicity in packages and menus. Yeah, I'd probably install Debian Basic (not to be confused with the "standard" install that gives you a console-only system), and I'd love a Debian Live CD that would do an install as well. I have the Debian Live CDs (http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/) for KDE and Xfce, and I recommend trying them to see how Debian reacts on any given computer before installing with the netinstall disc). You can even try out Lenny or Sid without committing to an install. But if you could run the live CD and then hit an "install" icon ... it would be so ... Ubuntu-y (or Mepis-y, PCLinuxOS-y, or Sabayonish, if you will).

When it comes to what I run, it all boils down to what works best on each individual box -- and some are as old as the hills, so Debian acquits itself quite well. But in other instances, Ubuntu proves to be a better fit. Usually, the less I need to do to make everything look right and work right, the better. My biases, at least, are driven by what works for me on the half-dozen or so boxes at my disposal during any given time.

One thing I can say about Debian and Slackware is that even those who don't use them should be damn glad they've been around all this time and continue to be here.
jezuch

Jan 23, 2008
3:10 PM EDT
Quoting:2) Ubuntu has about 1700 packages. Debian about 22.000. It takes a bit longer to stabilize :-)

And Debian's packages are being maintained for 11 hardware architectures. Compared to Ubuntu's... 3? [I honestly don't know, could someone help?...]
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 23, 2008
3:57 PM EDT
Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download: i386, AMD and Intel 64, and (for some reason) Sun UltraSPARC. They've dropped PowerPC. Glad Debian hasn't.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 23, 2008
4:07 PM EDT
Quoting:Which is all very good stuff, but seems to emphasize that Debian should not be considered to be a desktop OS.

Why not? Because something that doesn't have the latest versions of everything can't be considered a Desktop OS? Nonsense. Debian makes a great Desktop OS because it's rock solid and has a vast amount of supported packages. More than any other distro.

It may not fulfill your particular niche of being up-to-date with all the latest versions, but Debian wasn't designed to fit every niche.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 23, 2008
5:07 PM EDT
As far as installing a basic GNOME desktop, then just use Debian CD#1, and select "desktop". It will install a basic GNOME desktop.

If you want KDE or XFCE, there are specific CD#1's for those. I do dislike that CD#1 generic isn't _labeled_ GNOME, it would make things so much less confusing.

Reading over people's objections, I can understand the frustration with Stable. But there are several options one has, if one wants to run Stable: Backports, 3rd party repositories, compiling from source, or _gasp_ running Unstable instead.
dinotrac

Jan 23, 2008
5:24 PM EDT
>unning Unstable instead.

I did that when I was running Debian. Stuff I used was changing to quickly for stable to be useful.

Then, when all of the QT licensing hubbub hubbed and bubbed, unstable shot me in the groin.

I wonder if, had the testing branch been available, I would ever have been gotcha'd.

Testing really is supposed to be safer than unstable.
ColonelPanik

Jan 23, 2008
7:43 PM EDT
Stable does not run on my laptop. All sorts of problems that can only be explained by voodoo.

Installing Testing as we type.

Standby for questions.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 23, 2008
9:08 PM EDT
I think Debian is a great desktop system. I've been using it in that fashion since Etch went stable. The Nautilus bug notwithstanding, Lenny (testing) has been running well on my laptop. I had to run a cron job to control the CPU fan with the newer kernel (the Etch kernel managed the fan automatically) but that's been the case every other time I've tried a distro with a 2.6.20-something kernel (Etch is 2.6.18). I spent a small amount of time using CentOS on the desktop, but I didn't know nearly enough to figure out how to get anywhere near the number of packages that are available in Debian (or Ubuntu for that matter).

One funny thing in Debian: The fonts in Iceweasel and Epiphany look kind of funny on a CRT monitor, but they look great on an LCD screen, so Debian seems very well suited to use on a laptop.

One reason I'm sticking with Lenny instead of rolling back to Etch is that the newer GNOME is so much nicer looking.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 23, 2008
10:18 PM EDT
Quoting:One reason I'm sticking with Lenny instead of rolling back to Etch is that the newer GNOME is so much nicer looking.

I think that's mostly because of a better theme and because of a better Tango iconset. You should be able to install those on Etch as well.
wjl

Jan 24, 2008
2:49 PM EDT
Colonel,

maybe Etch-and-a-half will help and come to the rescue? At the moment, you'd still have ti build your own installation medium AFAIK, but it's a great promise to have a 2.6.24 on Etch - together with all the support of newer hardware and such...

Read more about it on maks blog.

cheers, wjl
ColonelPanik

Jan 24, 2008
7:52 PM EDT
Etch, no go The one before Etch, Sarge? didn't work Testing, nope Linux Mint, nada PCLOS MiniMe, does not work PCLOS Gnome, will not install PCLOS KDE, Thats what I am posting from now. Installed Gnome after the reboot because I like Gnome.

The killer for every one that did not work was internet. Except for the PCLOS Gnome, all installed fine, used my connection to DL those 600+ packages. Reboot into the new install and no connection. No ethernet, no wireless. No amount of swearing or voodoo or even three hours with a NetGuru via phone.

Maybe thats why Averatec went out of business?

POed to the max, I can not be holy if I am not running Debian on ALL my machines.

Do not think further about this! This lappy is now undead just like the zombies around New Orleans. This will remain as-is. Fall out!
theboomboomcars

Jan 24, 2008
8:09 PM EDT
Colonel what hardware does your laptop have.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 24, 2008
10:21 PM EDT
Get a $10 ethernet PCMCIA card. Install Debian.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 25, 2008
4:17 AM EDT
> Colonel what hardware does your laptop have.

That would seem a salient point.
ColonelPanik

Jan 25, 2008
7:08 AM EDT
Averatec 3250

HD: Vendor: ‎Western Digital Corp. Model: ‎WD600VE-00KWT0 Media class: ‎hd

CD/DVD: Disk identifier: ‎QSI DVD+/-RW SDW-082S

AGP Controller: Vendor: ‎VIA Technologies Inc. Description: ‎KM400 Bridge Media class: ‎BRIDGE_HOST

PCI to PCI Bridge: Vendor: ‎VIA Technologies Inc. Description: ‎PCI-to-PCI Bridge (AGP 2.0/3.0) Media class: ‎BRIDGE_PCI

Video Card: Vendor: ‎VIA Technologies Inc. Description: ‎KM400 Graphics Adapter Media class: ‎DISPLAY_VGA

Soundcard: Vendor: ‎VIA Technologies Inc. Description: ‎VT8233 [AC97 Audio Controller] Media class: ‎MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO

Processor ID: ‎1

Vendor: ‎AuthenticAMD Model name: ‎mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP-M (LV) 2200+ Cpuid family: ‎6 Model: ‎10 Model stepping: ‎0 Connection Vendor ID: ‎0x0000 Device ID: ‎0x0000 Sub vendor ID: ‎0x0000 Sub device ID: ‎0x0000 Performances Frequency (MHz): ‎1658.750 Cache size: ‎512 KB Bogomips: ‎3321.13 Bugs Fdiv bug: ‎No Coma bug: ‎No F00f bug: ‎No Halt bug: ‎No FPU Is FPU present: ‎Yes Whether the FPU has an irq vector: ‎Yes Misc Cpuid level: ‎1 Flags: ‎fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up ts fid vid Write protection: ‎Yes

NIC: Vendor: ‎RaLink Description: ‎Ralink RT2500 802.11 Cardbus Reference Card Media class: ‎NETWORK_OTHER

NIC: Vendor: ‎VIA Technologies Inc. Description: ‎VT6102 [Rhine II 10/100] Media class: ‎NETWORK_ETHERNET

Okay? More?

128 and 512 cache 512MB RAM

Another big salute from the Colonel to you nice people.

Bob_Robertson

Jan 25, 2008
7:35 AM EDT
"NIC: Vendor: ‎RaLink Description: ‎Ralink RT2500 802.11 Cardbus Reference Card Media class: ‎NETWORK_OTHER "

Fascinating, so it is in fact a PCMCIA ethernet card? And it works in other Linux distributions with the same kernel version (or close)?

That makes no sense at all. No wonder you're frustrated! It's not like there's a proprietary kernel driver included in every other distribution that isn't in Debian.

Ok, how about the outputs of "lspci" and "lsmod"?
ColonelPanik

Jan 25, 2008
9:09 AM EDT
lspci 00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378 [KM400/A] Chipset Host Bridge 00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI Bridge 00:09.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2500 802.11g Cardbus/mini-PCI (rev 01) 00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ601/6912/711E0 CardBus/SmartCardBus Controller (rev 20) 00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80) 00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80) 00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80) 00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82) 00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge 00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06) 00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50) 00:11.6 Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 80) 00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 74) 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378 [S3 UniChrome] Integrated Video (rev 01)

lsmod Module Size Used by sg 34840 0 scsi_mod 134600 1 sg rt2500 177220 1 snd_seq_dummy 3908 0 snd_seq_oss 32512 0 snd_seq_midi_event 7616 1 snd_seq_oss snd_seq 52272 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event af_packet 22120 2 snd_pcm_oss 43072 1 snd_mixer_oss 16608 1 snd_pcm_oss ipv6 257888 14 video 15108 0 snd_via82xx 28312 2 gameport 15368 1 snd_via82xx snd_ac97_codec 95268 1 snd_via82xx snd_ac97_bus 2400 1 snd_ac97_codec snd_pcm 76868 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec thermal 13544 0 snd_timer 22884 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm snd_page_alloc 10152 2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm sbs 14372 0 snd_mpu401_uart 8704 1 snd_via82xx snd_rawmidi 24320 1 snd_mpu401_uart snd_seq_device 8268 4 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi i2c_ec 5120 1 sbs fan 4804 0 snd 52708 13 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device soundcore 9824 2 snd container 4448 0 button 6640 0 battery 9636 0 ac 5188 0 ide_cd 39712 0 cdrom 36928 1 ide_cd binfmt_misc 11912 1 loop 16328 0 dm_mirror 21616 0 dm_mod 56440 1 dm_mirror cpufreq_ondemand 6956 0 cpufreq_conservative 7592 0 cpufreq_powersave 1920 0 powernow_k7 7688 0 freq_table 4960 1 powernow_k7 processor 28776 2 thermal,powernow_k7 via_agp 9984 1 agpgart 32424 1 via_agp nvram 9000 0 martian_dev 19156 0 mmc_block 8136 0 sdhci 18476 0 mmc_core 24448 2 mmc_block,sdhci 8250_pci 21120 0 ohci1394 35152 0 ieee1394 297848 1 ohci1394 bttv 172308 0 video_buf 25220 1 bttv ir_common 28196 1 bttv compat_ioctl32 1472 1 bttv i2c_algo_bit 9288 1 bttv btcx_risc 5096 1 bttv tveeprom 15056 1 bttv i2c_core 21376 4 i2c_ec,bttv,i2c_algo_bit,tveeprom videodev 24960 1 bttv v4l1_compat 14148 1 videodev v4l2_common 23328 2 bttv,videodev pcmcia 37580 0 firmware_class 10112 2 bttv,pcmcia yenta_socket 26700 1 rsrc_nonstatic 13792 1 yenta_socket pcmcia_core 40244 3 pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic capability 5000 0 commoncap 7360 1 capability usbmouse 5696 0 usbhid 51712 0 ehci_hcd 32488 0 uhci_hcd 23784 0 usbcore 127364 5 usbmouse,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd evdev 9888 2 joydev 9920 0 ext3 134376 2 jbd 57224 1 ext3

Remember I am running PCLOS so I don't know if "lsmod" is going to do much good?
Bob_Robertson

Jan 25, 2008
11:14 AM EDT
Ok, I concede. I can find _no_ "rt2500" module.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 25, 2008
12:41 PM EDT
I cheat by using my old Orinoco WaveLAN PCMCIA card -- works with damn near everything (no WPA, though). I've got to get one of those PCMCIA Ethernet adapters for my old, networkless Compaq Armada 7770dmt.
azerthoth

Jan 25, 2008
12:59 PM EDT
Colonel, might I suggest http://www.pastebin.ca for the next time you want to post something along the lines of lspci or lsmod. The formating for the thread is all broken now. Using a pastebin and then linking the URL will keep that from happening.

Not a complaint or admonishment, just a suggestion to keep the flaky page formatting here on LXer from having a hemorrhage.

*edit* took two tries to get this message so it didn't run off into the invisible. */edit*
ColonelPanik

Jan 25, 2008
1:01 PM EDT
00:09.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2500 802.11g Cardbus/mini-PCI (rev 01) in the "lspci"

>>>>Fascinating, so it is in fact a PCMCIA ethernet card? And it works in other Linux distributions with the same kernel version (or close)?

Well it is an internal mini-PCI card. I have had Ubuntu running untill I upgraded to Gutsy. The Ubuntu would not run unless I used a very old kernel. PCLOS just works, no tinkering needed

Don't sweat it, it is working just fine right now. If I have to reinstall an OS there will be questions. Lots and lots and lots of questions. Maybe I will send to one of you for a laying on of hands?
ColonelPanik

Jan 25, 2008
1:03 PM EDT
azerthoth, I wondered what happened. Thanks for that link, it will be used.
azerthoth

Jan 25, 2008
2:36 PM EDT
I ever mention that colonel is one of the words that I read one way and say another? I read it colon-el and say it kernal. Thermopylae is another one, I read thermo pile a, and say therm op oh lee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!