Got popcorn?

Story: Microsoft Offers $44.6B for YahooTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
jezuch

Feb 01, 2008
3:21 PM EDT
Quoting:If MS wins the bidding (and I think they will, because they need it more than anybody else), I predict an unholy mess for a good long while, along the lines of the Time Warner AOL mishegas -- only with even bigger egos to manage.

Yahoo employees will leave in droves, and Google will happily snatch up the good ones. Redmond will slough off the redundancies between it and Yahoo, and it will mostly make the wrong choices -- choosing to keep the stuff it's developed in house (like Hotmail) instead of the superior products (Yahoo Mail). The revenue bump from online ads will be nice, but merging the two brands will be like a python trying to digest the engine block of an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.

http://weblog.infoworld.com/robertxcringely/archives/2008/02...

Woohooo! Man, what a show!!
dinotrac

Feb 02, 2008
3:59 AM EDT
Am sorry. Like Yahoo. Cringe at Ya-Vista.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 02, 2008
9:39 AM EDT
No No No..not Ya-Vista..

Microsoft + Yahoo = MY

Get it?

MY Computer..

MY Internet..

MY..
gus3

Feb 02, 2008
10:07 AM EDT
Malaysia?
hkwint

Feb 02, 2008
11:00 AM EDT
Probably the only thing they're interested in is Yahoo! Finance. This looks pretty suspect to me:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ao?s=MSFT

What informed person would give the advise: Buy Microsoft shares?
SamShazaam

Feb 02, 2008
12:51 PM EDT
This seems to be a big admission that MSN is a competitive flop. The same 44.6 billion that Microsoft is paying for Yahoo could have been spent improving MSN. But, of course, after all that it would still just be MSN and not Yahoo.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 02, 2008
2:17 PM EDT
But Sam,

Why work hard and make what you have better, when you can imitate,steal or just take what someone else has that is better?

;-)

Abe

Feb 02, 2008
2:24 PM EDT
Quoting:...when you can imitate,steal or just take what someone else has that is better?
That wouldn't be enough to gain the wide user base Yahoo already has.

I never was a Yahoo customer or user, ever.

Scott_Ruecker

Feb 02, 2008
5:10 PM EDT
Abe, I was saying that in reference to what Microsoft does to the other players in the market

azerthoth

Feb 02, 2008
7:15 PM EDT
MYlanta
tuxchick

Feb 02, 2008
9:10 PM EDT
Aaaand the gold medal goes to azerthoth!
hkwint

Feb 03, 2008
1:41 AM EDT
Quoting:Microsoft + Yahoo = MY

OK, I see, MY. But who/where is the frame of reference? Am I looking from my own point of reference, like in the way 'My Computer' really means "hkwint's computer" as with WinXP? Or when saying 'MY', is the frame of reference in Redmond and Sunnyvale? I'd say the latter.
jezuch

Feb 03, 2008
4:01 AM EDT
Quoting:Or when saying 'MY', is the frame of reference in Redmond and Sunnyvale?

"MY" means "Microsoft-Yahoo", so of course this one.

Fortunately, they're a bit too late for MY SQL ;)
tuxchick

Feb 03, 2008
9:36 AM EDT
MY as is what's theirs is theirs, and what's ours is theirs.
gus3

Feb 03, 2008
7:20 PM EDT
...from my cold, dead fingers.
DarrenR114

Feb 04, 2008
8:23 AM EDT
Quoting:MYlanta

I thought Mylanta was supposed to *help* indigestion - not induce it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!