LOL clueless rant

Story: There is no Year of the Linux DesktopTotal Replies: 39
Author Content
herzeleid

Feb 04, 2008
2:56 PM EDT
Spoken like a naive outsider. not worth the click

Short summary: "Linux users are cheapskates. The only reason people ever use linux is to get away without paying. They won't pay for commercial apps. The commercial app vendors all know this, and will never port apps to linux, so linux will never succeed on the desktop."

Ya gotta love the articles where they start out by saying "I'm a linux user, but..." and then start spouting stuff out of left field.

Edit: wow. looks like the silly troll deleted my talkback - hmm, can't have facts getting in the way of his rants, now can we?
helios

Feb 04, 2008
4:38 PM EDT
See, it's this type of person that I always want to confront when big things happen...and folks, trust me...big things are about to happen. Some of you know what I am talking about. Someone Please...PLEASE bookmark this posting for me. I fool around and lose things like this. I want to personally speak with this individual shortly. I think you all might wanna watch.

This is a shill, plain and simple. And not a very smart one...wait, let me take that back...this is a person who has no idea of what happens outside of his/her own little world. Now, there are millions of Linux users that can't see past the needs of their own cpu's, granted, but to make the statements this person made will always make me wonder who signs the paychecks.

h
rijelkentaurus

Feb 04, 2008
4:44 PM EDT
Quoting: I think you all might wanna watch.

The pizza has been ordered, I am ready for the show.
jdixon

Feb 04, 2008
5:52 PM EDT
> All the distributions above were my main desktop operating systems as I ditched Windows way back in ‘99.

OK, how many people here have been using Linux longer than that? I started in 1994, so I have him by a few years.
herzeleid

Feb 04, 2008
6:36 PM EDT
> I think you all might wanna watch.

Alright, we are watching. carry on Sir.

> OK, how many people here have been using Linux longer than that? I started in 1994, so I have him by a few years.

I started in 1993 with SLS, and have used slack, redhat, caldera, mandrake, suse, debian, ubuntu and have tried several others.
tuxchick

Feb 04, 2008
6:54 PM EDT
Ha. I got you all beat. I started out in 94 or so with an Apple LC II. My very first computer ever. It was OK, but it didn't feel right. Too confining. So then I got a winderz peecee- DOS 5 + win 3.1. Even as inexperienced as I was, I recognized that winduhs was a steaming pile. I did most of my work in DOS just because it actually worked. It was fun. Then I discovered Linux, oh 94 or 95-ish, and bit by bit migrated myself to it. Dumped windows entirely for personal use in 2002 or so, but I still support some customers that are stuck on it, and occasionally teach some interoperability and migration guff. So even though the twee and then the borg had first cracks at me, Linux won. Ha. Haha.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 04, 2008
9:20 PM EDT
Quoting:Dumped windows entirely for personal use in 2002 or so

You beat me by 3 years on that one..I am late to the party but its because I was a poor white boy until a few years ago...
gus3

Feb 04, 2008
9:44 PM EDT
I started with Slackware in 1997, dual-booting until the Chernobyl virus blasted my partition table into hyperspace the following year. There were recovery tools available for FAT32 restoration, but nothing for Linux. (Well, for someone as ignorant as I was, anyway.)

Never again!
vainrveenr

Feb 04, 2008
10:43 PM EDT
For those starting Linux back around the time of Wlanut Creek Software's Slackware 3, one might remember Naba Barkakati's 'Linux SECRETS'. Nice writeup of 'Linux SECRETS' at http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/121 along with that cute puppy of the Aleutia E1 review.
tracyanne

Feb 04, 2008
11:04 PM EDT

I dumped Windows and moved to Linux on all my personal computers in May 2002, by the end of may all my computers were running Linux. Prior to that I had been running dual boot desktop and a Windows 2000 server.
gus3

Feb 04, 2008
11:38 PM EDT
My mother beat you by a year. Ha! ;-)
dinotrac

Feb 05, 2008
12:51 AM EDT
I feel like such a newbie around here.

I started using a Linux system (some) at work in 1997, but didn't get my own and give up Windows until 1998.
rijelkentaurus

Feb 05, 2008
3:31 AM EDT
2004, I think it was.
jdixon

Feb 05, 2008
4:51 AM EDT
> Ha. I got you all beat. I started out in 94 or so with an Apple LC II.

TC, I got my first Tandy Color Computer in 1983.
dinotrac

Feb 05, 2008
5:20 AM EDT
If you're counting first computers instead of Linux machines, I'm still a little late, having bought my first PC in 1986.

On the other hand, I did write my first computer program, in FORTRAN, for an IBM 360/90 in 1970. Does that count?
jdixon

Feb 05, 2008
5:26 AM EDT
> I did write my first computer program, in FORTRAN, for an IBM 360/90 in 1970. Does that count?

Well, it beats me by six or seven years. My first was in either 1976 or 1977, also in Fortran.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 05, 2008
6:05 AM EDT
1979, TRS-80 Mod 1. First programming in BASIC, I'd bought a book on it the summer before and had "a clue". 1980, PDP11/70 at the community college. FORTRAN at last!

1983, TRS-80 Mod 3, disk drives, Pascal and Compu$erve! Online at last!

1985 or 6, finally got a PC-clone. Fortran! File compatibility! Colour!

Put together a Linux box in 1995, used as a desktop for experimenting and a server until 2003. The absolute worst part was trying to set up Xwindows to display correctly. Screen frequencies and modlines!

For dedicated "desktop", followed DOS and Winders until Win95, decided this was good enough. When '95 crapped out on me on my previous laptop in 2000, I put Debian on it and never went back. It's over in the corner right now with up-to-date Debian Sid, works as well as ever but most of the "home line" keys don't have letters on them any more.

I had been playing with Dragon Linux, one of the ones that would boot from Windows using a loopback file for its filesystem, so Linux on the laptop was no surprise I already knew it worked.

Have bought one desktop since, a laptop in 2003, which at 2.8GHz with AGP, will take care of things for a while yet, I think, although I'd love to play with SMP. In fact, the keyboard is beginning to wear visibly, and there are some corners where the shiny grey is wearing through. But I've learned how to take it apart and clean the fans/fins, which is more than I can say for the newer laptops I see in the stores, no matter how pretty they are.

I hate the idea of sending a machine in for repair just to _clean_ it.

Abe

Feb 05, 2008
6:50 AM EDT
Never liked PC or owned one personally until after I started using Linux in 97 when I installed Red Hat on an Alpha DS10 server. The first time I bought a PC for home use was in 2002 and it came with Mandrake at the time. It was an HP/Compaq Evo 500. Never purchased any applications from Microsoft and never pirated any either. I am still pure. Can anyone claim the same?!!

On the other hand, I manged computer servers, PC, networks, applications and wrote many of my own.

I always had a company PC/Laptop though.

ColonelPanik

Feb 05, 2008
8:16 AM EDT
Many of you have 30+ years of experience on me. So if I live to be 100....
herzeleid

Feb 05, 2008
8:50 AM EDT
Quoting: Ha. I got you all beat. I started out in 94 or so with an Apple LC II.
tc, last i checked, 1993 came before 1994 - but if we're going to trot out pre-linux computing experience, I'll see your 1994 apple LC II and raise you my 1985 Z80 assembly language programming.
techiem2

Feb 05, 2008
8:50 AM EDT
Yaknow...a thought just hit me. I almost wonder if part of the reason computers no longer come with a windows cd (yer lucky if they come with a restore cd), along with the windows activation nightmare, is BECAUSE of linux. Think about it. Back when I was starting out in the mid 90s (first comp in '93, tried linux probably '94), we either had all the disks for our computers, or they were copied to the hard disk (as mine was) so you just make your own set of floppies. Want to try linux? No big deal. Copy off any special data, nuke the box, enjoy. Want windows back? Toss the Win31 disk in the drive and start fresh. No activation necessary. Now however... Nuke drive, play with stuff, restore comp (assuming you have a restore disc, not a restore partition that you just nuked), hope windows activates again. Of course, LiveCDs and the ease of dual booting kinda foil that (although to be fair, dual booting requires tweaking partition sizes, which isn't exactly a noob exercise). Just some ponderings.. Maybe I'm just paranoid. :)

Anyway, got my first comp end of '93 (Thank you Starlight Foundation!), messed with slackware probably in '94, messed with various distros on and off, settled on Mandrake for a while, started using linux about the same as/more than windows in the '98 - 2000 era. Soon after started using Linux as primary. Switched to gentoo in 2004 I think. Now my only personal windows install is the XP-Pro install on my work laptop. Rarely need it for work, so it mainly just gets used for a few games now and then (some of which I'd run in wine on desktop IF there was a cd-emulator for linux that actually looked like a physical cd drive - stupid smart copy protections - yes, I don't like to use my physical disks, I already burned out one drive by leaving a cd in all the time...... - and yes, I'm lazy that way). :)
gus3

Feb 05, 2008
9:06 AM EDT
Quoting:I'll see your 1994 apple LC II and raise you my 1985 Z80 assembly language programming.
1983 here. In fact, the first computer prank I ever pulled by myself involved a hand-coded Z-80 infinite loop and producing snow on the TRS-80 CRT (toggle 64-char and 32-char as fast as possible, and vid circuits lose all sync). Unfortunately, the victim was a teacher, who was good-natured enough to say simply, "that won't happen again" and hit the orange reset button.
dinotrac

Feb 05, 2008
9:39 AM EDT
>Screen frequencies and modlines!

Ooh!! You just made a cold shiver run up and down my spine.

Thanks bunches for unrepressing those memories.

Just make me glad I was never an altar boy.
tracyanne

Feb 05, 2008
12:04 PM EDT
I did own a new Sinclair zx81 once, it was my first computer. My first experience with a computer was Magnetic core machine they had in the Electronics Lab at Auckland Polytech, I wrote my very first computer program for that, and stored it on punched tape, that was back in the early 1980s.
NoDough

Feb 05, 2008
12:26 PM EDT
You're all a bunch of pups!

1973 - Abacus!
jdixon

Feb 05, 2008
12:28 PM EDT
> 1973 - Abacus!

Snort. By 73 I was using a slide rule. :)
dinotrac

Feb 05, 2008
12:58 PM EDT
NoDough --

Better check that abacus.

1973 > 1970

PS -- sliderule in '65

So there!!!! Do wish I had that great big one they had at the front of the classroom.
hkwint

Feb 05, 2008
1:51 PM EDT
Gheez, bunch of geeks over here, started using SLS in '93, Slackware in '97 and Linux in '94 '95.

Nonetheless, though I only recently converted, I beat you all probably! You see, I was 19 when I started using Gentoo Linux. My first-ever Linux experience was at a university when I was 17, and I didn't even like that Linux because I couldn't crash it running (a+b+c+d)^200 in Maple. The 'stop' button was still usable when the computer was calculating, and when I hit the stop button, the program just stopped! Can you believe that? Also, I was wondering what the guy with the red hat was staring at, was he spying on me? I was reluctant to start using Linux because I considered it to be for geeks. As I didn't want to be a geek, I decided to try OpenBSD. Now why do I start talking about OpenBSD? Because I'm going to make a statement. A very bold one indeed! Here it comes. Grab your desk or something, and get the pizza and coffee. This one will really shock you. Ready? I hope so. Here it comes!

There is no Year of the OpenBSD desktop.

OK, you can relax now. That was it. Looks you survived it.
dinotrac

Feb 05, 2008
2:33 PM EDT
Hans --

I declare that you can't really beat me in that regard because there was no such thing as Linux when I got started, and Unix was still being born in AT&T labs.

It's a technicality, but it's all I've got.
moopst

Feb 05, 2008
8:53 PM EDT
My computers:

Timex Sinclair zx-71 (2k memory, later added a 16k module that was the size of a pack of cigarettes and slooowed it down a lot) Atari 800 (with 48k memory) Various PCs my dad owned Pentium with DOS 6.22 / Win 3.1 P-III with Win98 SE - now dual doot with Zenwalk 4.8 HP Athalon (all versions of Slackware from 9.1 to now 12.0) Toshiba laptop (dual boot XP Media Center / PCLinoxos-2008-minime but will be Zenwalk 5.0 when I get it back from my sister)

Work: HP 9800 series (ran Basic, took up a big desk, had a 12 megabyte drive the size of a dishwasher) Vax 11/785 (my favorite!) Various HP Unix machines Sun E10000 Sun E15k
gus3

Feb 05, 2008
9:09 PM EDT
> Timex Sinclair zx-71 (2k memory, later added a 16k module that was the size of a pack of cigarettes and slooowed it down a lot)

That actually should have sped it up, thanks to a fully-allocated screen memory area. Without the 16K expander, each screen line was allocated only as much memory as it needed for the text on it. If you moved the cursor to a partial line, then printed something to make the line longer, every character resulted in a memory shift for all the following lines. If the screen lines were fully pre-allocated, then printing meant just plopping new character codes into place.

(Yes, I had one, too.)
jacog

Feb 05, 2008
10:07 PM EDT
Hmmm, ZX81 you mean? And it came with 1k of RAM. My first puter.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 05, 2008
10:46 PM EDT
NO YEAR OF THE OpenBSD DESKTOP!?!?!?!?

I have two hand sized chunks missing from my desk and coffee flavored pizza thanks to your "little statement"..

You can't just say something like that to me without warning me Hans...

;-)

DarrenR114

Feb 06, 2008
11:22 AM EDT
It´s not fair!!! I wasn´t even *born* until ´66.

And being a poor white boy myself, I didn´t even get to touch a computer (terminal) until 1979 when I was in the 8th grade.

happyfeet

Feb 06, 2008
12:23 PM EDT
Quoting: If you're counting first computers instead of Linux machines, I'm still a little late, having bought my first PC in 1986.

On the other hand, I did write my first computer program, in FORTRAN, for an IBM 360/90 in 1970. Does that count?

Hey Dino - First FORTRAN program in 1968 on an IBM 1100 Disk Monitor System with Commercial Subroutines. First PC in 1988 - XT clone with 1/2 M chip and 20 M hard drive, followed by AT clone with 1 M chip and 40 M hard drive! First Linux distro - Sabayon 3.26 in October 2006...
dinotrac

Feb 06, 2008
12:30 PM EDT
happyfeet --

OK, you got me on first fortran.

But -- doesn't 2 out of 3 win?
Bob_Robertson

Feb 06, 2008
1:07 PM EDT
> But -- doesn't 2 out of 3 win?

Only if the first one wasn't fatal.
moopst

Feb 06, 2008
7:34 PM EDT
The 16k of memory needed to be refreshed by the cpu. Static ram keeps information in a charge of static electricity in the gate which can drain over time. In modern computers other chips check the memory and reassert the charge to keep it refreshed, in the ZX-81 this was done by the cpu.
gus3

Feb 06, 2008
9:05 PM EDT
moopst: don't you mean DRAM? SRAM doesn't need refreshing.
moopst

Feb 07, 2008
4:49 PM EDT
gus:

Dooya - yep. College was back in the '80's. I actually learned to compile assembler for the 8086 into machine code by hand (or pencil and paper). Really use that skill.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!