Author Content
kingttx

Feb 25, 2008
6:22 AM EDT
You've been dugg!
tracyanne

Feb 25, 2008
4:28 PM EDT
Here's some comment on the Mandriva Forum http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=81108&sid=85130d37...
tracyanne

Feb 26, 2008
12:13 PM EDT
Comment on Mandriva Forums re Kens approach to marketing.

http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=81108&sid=63ed2af2...

Quoting: tracy: what I'm saying is not that marketing is unimportant, but that Ken is not good at marketing. Smile

I have no formal training or education in marketing, but - as the old saying points out is inevitable - I have an opinion, and I'm not afraid to express it. Wink I've also seen plenty of terrible marketing campaigns undertaken by people with *lots* of training in marketing, so I don't think that having marketing training is a reliable indicator of being good at marketing.

The problem with the extreme hyperbole approach to marketing is that it rapidly induces fatigue, especially when the results never match up to the promotion.

This is why no-one, anywhere, trusts politicians any more. A lot of politicians, at least some of the time, act like Ken; every time they come up with or are pushing $IDEA, they act as if $IDEA is the only important thing in the world and will solve everyone's problems (or at least, all the white people's problems, or all the problems of poor black single mothers on the west side, or whatever constituency they're trying to appeal to that week). If $IDEA ever gets put into practice, it inevitably affects things far less than they promised it would, and people notice this. They're not *stupid*.

So what you get in the end is the knee-jerk cynicism and lack of interest that characterizes most people's relationship to politics these days. It's the ultimate source of the commonly expressed views that politicians are overpaid, venal, corrupt, what they do doesn't make any real difference, and the people who really matter are businessmen / sports stars / the Church / whatever other institution the person you're talking to has actually seen make a visible impact on their life experience.

Sorry, long sidetrack. But this is essentially what Ken does.

For those who said they don't know his previous efforts - remember the whole thing about having 'Linux' sponsor a car in the Indy 500? That was Ken. Now, there was a big argument about whether that effort was actually useful at all, but that's not the point here. Even if you assume it did something positive, Ken promoted it - for months - as if it was the most amazing idea ever, the One Thing that would push Linux to the forefront of the minds of everyone in the world. He talked about it causing Linux to receive "all the month-long hype, time trials and media coverage it is going to receive", and it just didn't. News outlets don't *write* stories about minor sponsorship of minor Indy cars. He was overpromising. If it did anything good at all, it was probably about the equivalent of Red Hat running a series of print ads in the mainstream computing press. This happens all the time, and Red Hat does not issue press releases describing it in near-millennial terms.

Now he's doing it again. He's getting a few people in a small town to try out Linux. This is a good thing (and something that lots of people do, all over the world, all the time). It is not "a chance to make history". It is not "One of the most ambitious and important projects ever attempted in the Linux Community". He's over-promising again.

That's just not good marketing. In the end you get a "boy who cried wolf" effect.
theboomboomcars

Feb 26, 2008
1:51 PM EDT
I think this guy has missed things and read something into what Ken writes that isn't there. Ken has never said or implied that his Idea is the one and only way, or the best way. He has said this is what he is doing and if it is to succeed he needs help from the community.

Another thing is that the TUX500 thing worked, big media did pick up the story, not nearly enough money was raised for full sponsorship, but big media picked the story up and linux was in places it never reached before, I still have people ask me about me shirt when I wear it.

He is passionate, but I have never gotten that his is the all knowing guru of linux promotion, he just seems to be the only who doing anything.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 26, 2008
2:27 PM EDT
I think most of the criticism that gets directed at Ken comes from a lack of understanding and small mindedness. Ken is a Linux enthusiast to the core of his being and there are few who truly get that about him. Anyone who is truly enthusiastic about something always engenders contempt from petty and juvenile minds.

He tells the world what he is doing because he wants you to know that at least someone is doing something to get the word out about Linux and Free and Open Source Software. He doesn't expect everyone to agree with what he is doing but there are many people who take his vocalism as an insult for some reason. I think its because of their own insecurities and hangups, but that is just my opinion.

If you don't like what Ken is doing, then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! Try actually getting off your butt and taking action, any action that you do agree with and stop wasting time bitching about how you don't like him, his attitude (whatever that means) or his actions and try coming up with an idea of your own, that you do like. Of course that takes hard work and dedication to your goal, something most people have no concept of and are jealous to see in others. Especially if they have a secret wish that it was their idea and not his or think that they could do it better even though they don't have the guts or the energy to even try.

Be careful though, if you really do try to make a difference, you will get criticized for it. Why? Because for some reason you will start to rub some people the wrong way by those people who just don't like anything that anybody does no matter what it is, you know who they are, there called curmudgeons and they are everywhere.

Sander_Marechal

Feb 26, 2008
3:33 PM EDT
Quoting:I think most of the criticism that gets directed at Ken comes from a lack of understanding and small mindedness. Ken is a Linux enthusiast to the core of his being and there are few who truly get that about him.

And that's wht the poster on the Mandriva forum is both right and wrong at the same time. He's wrong for all the reasons that you posted, but he's also right because "the people that don't know/get Ken" are the people that he tries to reach out to. It's a double-edged sword. Besides, Ken knows he can be a bit hyperbolic. He just can't help himself. He's too passionate :-)

I edit the http://www.fixedbylinux.com website for Ken. One of the things I do is rewriting the texts he send me for the pages. I try to tone down the passion and replace it with honest marketing speak. Not "marketriod speak" but the kind of clear and simple language that makes e.g. ZaReason and GetGnuLInux such a success. It's still Ken speaking though. Maybe he just needs a good editor. Or a secretary. Or both :-)
ColonelPanik

Feb 26, 2008
3:36 PM EDT
We need Ken. We need a whole lot more Kens. We need passionate. We need zealots. We need uncompromising, unflinching, unapologetic Linux users to lead the charge at this time.

This stuff has been done before, well yeah, in the Third World. It works. With some support it will work again. It will work anywhere there are enough Kens to stand up and testify.

I wish I was Ken. This whole thing that Ken and friends are trying is just slicker than owl sh*t on a pump handle. Get on with it!

What Scott_R said.

tracyanne

Feb 26, 2008
5:22 PM EDT
BTW, the same poster, who is Adam Williamson the "Mandriva Monkey", said the following.

Quoting:In a professional capacity, I think Mandriva would be happy to support Ken's efforts by providing some One CDs and possibly promotional materials, and if he / any of his reps want to get in touch with me by email, I'll put him in touch with someone in the office who can arrange to provide that stuff for him.

There is also a poster, who has been in contact with Ken, who has offered to act as Mandriva Liaison at the event.
tuxchick

Feb 26, 2008
6:15 PM EDT
Really, Ken should just calm down and go sit in a corner quietly and not pester people.

:P

Unlike the free as in freeloader crowd, Ken gets out and does stuff. We need more Kens!
Sander_Marechal

Feb 26, 2008
10:23 PM EDT
Quoting:Unlike the free as in freeloader crowd, Ken gets out and does stuff. We need more Kens!

Quoted for Truth.
Jose_X

Feb 27, 2008
4:58 AM EDT
>> He was overpromising.

He convinced himself the reaction from us could not possibly have been as weak as it turned out to be.

That's inexperience. [I am guilty of this, too.]

The effort is there though, and when people start joining up, things will happen.
NoDough

Feb 27, 2008
10:24 AM EDT
I wish I could free myself up to go out and help. Gonna have to be satisfied with a small donation.
azerthoth

Feb 27, 2008
11:33 AM EDT
I read something last night that made me think of this thread.

"Everyone agrees that something needs to be done, but since the scope of the issue is too large for any one individual, everyone seems to agree that nothing should be done at all. My goal was to change that, do whatever I could and then make maybe my points would be noticed from my jail cell. Happily I didn't go to jail."

Thats a rough paraphrase, but yes, the world needs more Ken's. The pie might be too big to eat in one sitting, but why not enjoy a few bites of it. (Although in this case my money is on Ken to eat the whole thing)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!