XBOX 360 blocks "Linux" from being used as a motto online

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 26, 2008
1:49 PM EDT
This is for all you console gamers out there who own a X-BOX 360 and play online.

Here is the link to the video I found on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvtl4ye-3D0

How stupid is that?
rijelkentaurus

Feb 26, 2008
3:07 PM EDT
I thought that was because it blocked all trademarks from being used...or at least that's the story I hear. Dunno, don't own a 360, never will.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 26, 2008
3:44 PM EDT
rijelkentaurus is right. You can't use Windows, Microsoft or XBOX either in your motto.

Be glad they warn you instead of trying to replace it: http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/The-Clbuttic-Mistake-.aspx
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 26, 2008
4:09 PM EDT
I still think its stupid, as long as its not a curse word or words who cares what is in a motto.

By the way, Just what is a motto for in XBOX anyway?
tuxchick

Feb 26, 2008
4:16 PM EDT
Of course it's stupid, all these big businesses who want to be the Everything Police. An itchy vile weeping pox on all of them.
montezuma

Feb 26, 2008
5:19 PM EDT
Power breeds the desire to manipulate and coerce in order to preserve itself. /rant
techiem2

Feb 26, 2008
5:36 PM EDT
/me blocks all console gamers from using "life" in their names/mottos since they don't have one to begin with :P
rijelkentaurus

Feb 26, 2008
6:09 PM EDT
Quoting: rijelkentaurus is right.

w00t!!
Sander_Marechal

Feb 26, 2008
10:22 PM EDT
Quoting:By the way, Just what is a motto for in XBOX anyway?

It's some kind of byline that you get to see alongside someone's character. Something like "Scott -- Eating n00bs for breakfast".
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 27, 2008
12:25 AM EDT
Ah hah!

Kind of like a quote or phrase to be associated with. So I take it that all political and religious words are banned too?

rijelkentaurus

Feb 27, 2008
5:40 AM EDT
Quoting: So I take it that all political and religious words are banned too?

I don't think so...unless it's Scientology, which is probably trademarked.

This is interesting, however....

http://kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-360/live-sees-unix-linux-gates...
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 27, 2008
8:10 AM EDT
See, if all religious and political words were also banned, I would have no issue with this because at least the censorship would be across the board, but its not.
rijelkentaurus

Feb 27, 2008
10:36 AM EDT
Quoting: at least the censorship would be across the board

I see your point.

I wonder, can you have your motto as L I N U X rocks!!!?
azerthoth

Feb 27, 2008
10:55 AM EDT
Penguinista comes to mind as a test.

However I stopped console gaming way back when Sega had that additional CD player that you could use with your console.
rijelkentaurus

Feb 27, 2008
11:00 AM EDT
I had a PS2...got mad at a game, the PS2 went sailing through the air...didn't look as nice when it landed as it did when it took off....

At that point, I figured my blood pressure needed a break, and I can't justify spending the money that is required at this point. And I don't have the free time I used to have....
tracyanne

Feb 27, 2008
12:08 PM EDT
Quoting:See, if all religious and political words were also banned, I would have no issue with this because at least the censorship would be across the board, but its not.

It would make for some boring twee mottoes too.

You cannot post until you login.