excellent point

Story: Adobe Joins Linux Foundation But Forgets About Flash for LinuxTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
herzeleid

Mar 31, 2008
11:40 AM EDT
Hopefully adobe will do the sensible thing before too long.
tuxchick

Mar 31, 2008
11:47 AM EDT
What's that, herzeleid, go out of business? I won't bore you by reciting my standard list of reasons for why Adobe should be boycotted out of existence; LXer is already full of them :). It is a good comedy piece- the bit about "commitment to open standards and open source, which demonstrates its leadership and foresight in the software industry" is hilarious.
tracyanne

Mar 31, 2008
12:17 PM EDT
The Clown that said those things was in fact Jim Zemlin executive director at The Linux Foundation, so the question is who the bigger clown?
tuxchick

Mar 31, 2008
12:25 PM EDT
Well tracyanne, I saw that too, and figured it was just some diplomacy. Mr. Zemlin probably assumes that polite, welcoming language will be more effective than language like "lying hypocritical sacks of hyena dung." Which is a debatable assumption :)
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 31, 2008
12:27 PM EDT
If Flash weren't being so overused, I'd be less pissed off. And it would be nice to be able to develop in Flash on both Linux and BSD boxes (maybe I'm missing something, and I'd be happy if that's the case). Closed-source development tools that don't run on non-Windows or -Mac OSes ... not a good thing.
tracyanne

Mar 31, 2008
1:03 PM EDT
TC, given certain developments in Flash related areas, this does demonstrate that Adobe needs us (Linux and FOSS) way more than we need them.
vainrveenr

Mar 31, 2008
4:00 PM EDT
Quoting:given certain developments in Flash related areas, this does demonstrate that Adobe needs us (Linux and FOSS) way more than we need them
... and Adobe is no doubt aware as are other closed-source companies of the truly Open Source competitive solutions being used more and more. For Adobe's Flash, there is GNU's Gnash, http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/ appropriately commented upon in http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/26976/

tracyanne

Mar 31, 2008
6:15 PM EDT
I was thinking of Silverlight. Adobe needs friends.
herzeleid

Mar 31, 2008
7:15 PM EDT
> What's that, herzeleid, go out of business?

Haha, I hear that. But seriously, flash has a pretty good sized install base, and flash developers are currently chained to windoze.(not counting those who could/would migrate to mac) If these developers could migrate to linux because a linux flash development environment becomes a reality, I'd count that as a win.

Also, if flash were to disappear, would you really be happy with redmond rushing in to fill the gap? Once flash is out of the picture, how enthusiastic and fervent do you suppose microsoft's support for silverlight on linux would be?

If anyone here thinks microsoft would make linux a tier one platform in terms of support, I've got a nice bridge for sale that I'd like to show you...

No, the cold hard reality is that microsoft would then most likely begin "cutting off the air supply", as they like to say, to the linux customers.

gus3

Mar 31, 2008
10:20 PM EDT
Quoting:"lying hypocritical sacks of hyena dung"
At least hyena dung is useful as fertilizer.
tracyanne

Apr 01, 2008
12:11 AM EDT
TC does have her way with words.
jacog

Apr 01, 2008
4:32 AM EDT
Hyena dung is actually a very effective communications tool - to hyenas anyway.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!