Author Content
tracyanne

Apr 08, 2008
7:47 PM EDT
I let them know my thoughts
techiem2

Apr 08, 2008
7:55 PM EDT
Submitted. Not that I'd probably buy one, but any more big name Linux boxes would be a good thing.
herzeleid

Apr 08, 2008
9:34 PM EDT
I weighed in on the matter as well.
techiem2

Apr 08, 2008
9:36 PM EDT
As I recall, AW is a subsidiary of Dell now right? It would be great if they put out a high end gaming machine setup with Linux and a good selection of Linux games.
zenarcher

Apr 08, 2008
11:21 PM EDT
I left my thoughts, as well.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 08, 2008
11:44 PM EDT
Me too.
rijelkentaurus

Apr 09, 2008
6:07 AM EDT
Yup.
jdixon

Apr 09, 2008
6:54 AM EDT
Alienware products are well outside my price range. :(

I see little point in my telling them I won't buy their systems.
azerthoth

Apr 09, 2008
8:12 AM EDT
I told them, from the question they asked, no I would not pay MORE for a linux based PC, but would be perfectly happy to pay the same as a windows PC. A good deal for them as the manufacturer then gets to retain the "windows tax" for themselves.

Not that I am about to pony up for an AW system. Desktops I build myself, laptops at this point for me, I am capable of running any game I play on hardware that I can pick up for considerably less. If I want extra storage ... thats what those 80+ Gig USB jump drives are good for.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 09, 2008
1:26 PM EDT
I told them that if they expect people to pay the same or more for a Linux PC than for a Vista machine that they'd have to do a lot more than slap a default Ubuntu install on the machine.
jhansonxi

Apr 09, 2008
9:39 PM EDT
I told them to offer either a no-OS version with Linux-supported hardware or a specific distro with some commercial games pre-installed like Doom 3, Quake 4, UT3.
tracyanne

Apr 09, 2008
9:43 PM EDT
I told them that if they want to charge the same or higher for a an equivalent Linux machine, they need to explain the price difference.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!