what a soap opera

Story: Truth is Treason in the Empire of Lies: Linspire "Fact Sheet" Coming SoonTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
tuxchick

Apr 14, 2008
7:39 AM EDT
Egos, criminal charges, malfeasance, and does anyone care?
vainrveenr

Apr 14, 2008
8:21 AM EDT
Quoting:Egos, criminal charges, malfeasance, and does anyone care?
An eery reminder too, of the allegations by the shady Peter F. Paul against Hillary Clinton in the 'Connections to Hillary Clinton's Senatorial and Presidential Campaigns' section of the Peter F. Paul Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_F._Paul#Connections_to_Hi...

Peter F. Paul never was the clear hero in HIS current soap opera. Kevin Carmony sure ain't here.

See 'Opinion: Linspire CEO Kevin Carmony spins his Microsoft deal' at http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/06/opinion_linspire_ce... and its LXer thread 'agreed' at http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/25489/
dinotrac

Apr 14, 2008
8:37 AM EDT
C'mon, everybody...

We all know that the mighty Linspire empire -- an organization that demands respect everywhere from East Tacoma to West Tacoma, has crushed the saintly Carmony who wanted nothing more than to save humanity, cure cancer, and get the airlines click-'n-running on time.
tuxchick

Apr 14, 2008
10:24 AM EDT
Once again dino, you owe me a keyboard. And a new monitor.
dinotrac

Apr 14, 2008
12:21 PM EDT
Darn it, TC, you're just going to have to break down and invest in a Toughbook.
jdixon

Apr 14, 2008
12:43 PM EDT
> ...you owe me a keyboard. And a new monitor.

Well, I can't help with the monitor, but you obviously need one of these for the keyboard:

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productI...
tuxchick

Apr 14, 2008
5:14 PM EDT
I think I'll swipe a sneeze-shield from a buffet restaurant and use that instead.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 15, 2008
1:45 PM EDT
The whole thing's a head-scratcher.

I was at Fry's the other day, and I found the small section devoted to OSes that aren't Windows. It's not marked, but you can find it next to the huge Windows display.

I found:

Xandros Home Xandros Professional

Both looked pretty nice, as far as packaging goes. I could see picking one of these up if I a) didn't know I could get many Linuxes for free or b) wanted something that purports to offer a bit of hand-holding.

-----------------

PC-BSD 1.4

I had heard that PC-BSD was getting into Fry's; and so they have. (This version ran great on my Gateway laptop. All gains evaporated with the 1.5 upgrade.)

------------------

FreeBSD 5-point-something

This was a box dated something like 2003. What??? Who are they kidding?

---------------------

Slackware 12

A six-disc set for $50 ... at least it's not Slackware 8.

------------------

And that's it. You'd think that even Ubuntu would get in there for $20 for a CD. I suppose you can get the Ubuntu book and use the CD with it.

I'm glad to see Slackware in there, but if that set ever sells, they probably won't restock.

OpenBSD makes such a big deal about people buying the CD set. You'd think they could get them into retail. Once you do the install a half-dozen times, it's not so bad (though it makes Debian and Slackware look like the easiest thing in the world).

Didn't see any Linspire there at all.
techiem2

Apr 15, 2008
2:22 PM EDT
I'll have to check Staples in town next time I wander in to see if they have any Linux distros on the shelf...

I remember years ago going into an EB or some such and finding SimCity 3000 Linux Version on the discount rack for $20 (this was when the game was fairly new too). Of course I bought it, then I wondered how it got there...did they accidentally get the Linux version in a shipment of the normal ones and didn't know what to do with it so they marked it down and tossed it on the discount shelf? I think that's the only time I've seen the Linux version of a game on the shelf at a retailer...

I guess I can see a store's reasoning for not carrying Linux stuff though, it takes shelf space and doesn't have lots of exposure so most people see it and just pass by since they don't know what it is. (which brings us back to marketing...)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!