Obama and OpenOffice

Story: Your Second Economic Stimulus Check is On Its WayTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 05, 2008
12:19 PM EDT
Is it me, or did he just pull this one out of you know where? Do we know if office suites are on any politician's radar?
azerthoth

Jun 05, 2008
2:10 PM EDT
This actually made me think, perhaps we will have someone in office who might be a tad more friendly to "those whacky open source fanatics". Perhaps more than DoD will soon be working on making a transition to Linux. Perhaps like Federal DOT *hint hint*.

For now the only time I get to use Linux at work officially is when I'm working on the radar.
SamShazaam

Jun 05, 2008
2:49 PM EDT
I am with Steven. I have heard no statement from any politician of any stripe about changing office suites. It sounds like the writer is projecting his desires onto Obama. The writer thinks this would be a good idea, therefore it must be the first thing Obama will do.
rijelkentaurus

Jun 05, 2008
2:56 PM EDT
Well, it would be a good idea. But no, I have not heard Obama (heck, not even Ron Paul!) talk about this.
herzeleid

Jun 05, 2008
3:05 PM EDT
Drat, they spilled the beans! now ballmer will be sending out the goon squad to try to quash this glimmer of hope.
tuxchick

Jun 05, 2008
3:32 PM EDT
My vote is for pulled-it-out-of-you-know-where. It's ridiculous. I can envision Obama advocating for transparency in government, and open document standards as a means of making public information easily available. But dictating what office suite to use? Yeah right.
herzeleid

Jun 05, 2008
3:47 PM EDT
> I can envision Obama advocating for transparency in government, and open document standards as a means of making public information easily available. But dictating what office suite to use? Yeah right.

It could be that he meant or was talking about ODF, but as happens with journalists, it was taken out of context or misunderstood and misreported.
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 05, 2008
8:20 PM EDT
I bet Ron Paul is all over this.
jdixon

Jun 05, 2008
9:33 PM EDT
> It could be that he meant or was talking about ODF...

I doubt Obama has any idea what ODF is. If we're lucky, someone on his staff does.
bigg

Jun 06, 2008
5:44 AM EDT
Don't forget that Mitt Romney fought for ODF in Massachussets. Whatever the reasons, he actually did it, and deserves credit.

I did find this:

[url=http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/obama-stirs-open-format-debate/story.aspx?guid={65940BCE-3A36-4AB1-839E-0C038FCA051D}]http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/obama-stirs-open-forma...[/url]

And in particular "An Obama campaign staffer said that the candidate was only speaking in general terms at Google about file formats, adding that anything that would allow users to not be "stymied by a proprietary format" would suffice. "It's not like any decision has been made on which format would be OK," the staffer said."
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 06, 2008
1:15 PM EDT
But who'll get RMS' endorsement?

After a dyslexic moment, I stand corrected.
dinotrac

Jun 06, 2008
11:44 PM EDT
>But who'll get RSM's endorsement?

Or RMS's, for that matter.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!