LVM: Sorry, I need a GUI

Story: How To Get Started With Logical Volume Management In LinuxTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 10, 2008
2:43 PM EDT
How about Gparted for LVM? That's what I want/need.
Sander_Marechal

Jun 11, 2008
2:12 PM EDT
EVMS? http://evms.sourceforge.net/ System-config-lvm? http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/...

I read some rumors that even webmin can be used to manage LVM.
azerthoth

Jun 11, 2008
3:00 PM EDT
Sander, it can, when I had to go through a unix school 2 years ago that I couldn't take a bypass exam on, they didn't have one, webmin was one of the tools they used to dumb down administration for the point and click generation. Curiously, although not unforseeable, the unix class was actually taught using White Box Linux.

Personally on my home systems I never bother with LVM. Although I am considering it for my next system which is currently planned as being a media center. LVM might come in handy that way since the way I currently do things would likely fall flat on it's face when challenged with multi TB storage.
Sander_Marechal

Jun 11, 2008
9:31 PM EDT
After experiencing the ease of LVM on my server, I use it on all my computers. Even for simple home systems it's easy because when you fill up your HDD you can simply add another, add it to the LVM pool and grow your existing volumes. No need for tricky (re)partitioning schemes.
hkwint

Jun 18, 2008
11:36 AM EDT
EVMS is not maintained anymore last time I took a glance. Shrinking RAID-arrays is impossible. That's why I stopped using it and started using LVM + mdadm again. EVMS' interface is great, both the GUI and the ncurses-one. Nonetheless, several EVMS users are a bit disappointed, and I can't recommend anyone to use it at this time (sad, really sad).

I also came across system-config-lvm indeed, but it's not tested on Gentoo. After I blew up my RAID-array when trying to shrink it using EVMS (80Gb gone!) I'm more reluctant to use anything 'not maintained' very well (more EVMS users are I noticed).

Also, some people started an 'Eclipse' project named "Aperi". http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/aperi/ Though it may be nice in the future, it's sad these same people come up with something new instead of maintaining EVMS (probably it has got something to do with programming languages mastered by the developers; I'm not sure).

Conclusion: Use system-config-lvm if your distro supports it; otherwise I recommend using the CLI.
eggi

Jul 16, 2008
11:11 AM EDT
Guys,

Thanks for your comments - I always thought I had this board set up to auto-notify me if a thread was started, but I'm realizing that's not the case.

BTW, I don't allow comments on my blog, but do include my email address (eggi@comcast.net) in every script (Perhaps I should put it near the top of the page in a static element box to make it easier for folks to get in touch with me). I'm definitely interested in all feedback, as it can only make the site better. Unfortunately, even if I moderate comments, Google crawls me every day and has sent me warning about adult posts (waiting in moderation no less) on my site and I don't want them to shut me down. They are big dogs and may just be blowing steam, but I don't want to push it.

Thanks, again, for all the feedback. I'll be checking back here more often from now on. Nice to know someone's actually reading my blog ;)

Best wishes,

Mike
Sander_Marechal

Jul 16, 2008
2:17 PM EDT
Hmmm... looks like your reply went to the wrong thread eggi...
eggi

Jul 16, 2008
5:12 PM EDT
Sorry - newb to LXer for the most part

Just trying to keep up now that I realize I have so many different threads to respond to :) Sorry, no offense.

Peace,

Mike
texastwister

Jul 16, 2008
6:36 PM EDT
I'd never use more than one physical device in an LVM volume group unless it were on top of a RAID solution (either HW or SW). The drawback to LVM is that it is all about convenience and flexibility but at greater risk of data loss. Think about it -- each additional device I add to the pool increases the risk that I will lose data if that device fails -- and If one device fails, I potentially lose data from all of my volumes since the data in any given volume can be spread across any of the physical devices in the pool.

It's a great solution for: -- Enterprise use where you can afford the overhead to put it on top of RAID -- Systems that are well-protected with some bullet-proof backup solution -- and systems with transitory data where it is not great loss to lose data

None of these are the way I use a computer (although I should give more attention to my backup practices).

Scott
Sander_Marechal

Jul 16, 2008
10:26 PM EDT
Quoting:Enterprise use where you can afford the overhead to put it on top of RAID

RAID is not just good for enterprise use. Drives are cheap and Linux software RAID beats all but the expensive hardware RAID solutions. Just take a look at how much data you have with all your music, videos and games. Backing that all up manually takes time. It's much easier to slap in an extra hard drive.

My usual setup is to RAID pairs of two drives together in RAID 1, then use these pairs as PVs for LVM.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!