oh well.

Story: Morals, Force and FreedomwareTotal Replies: 24
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Jun 25, 2008
3:31 AM EDT
{sarcasm}if I hadn't posted, the thread might not have been deleted.{/sarcasm}

thanks for all that did participate, it was quite polite and interesting.

a moment of silence for the dearly deleted...
NoDough

Jun 25, 2008
4:34 AM EDT
Good riddance.
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 25, 2008
5:15 AM EDT
I let it go hoping it would get itself back on track, but it did not. I had no choice, it was a TOS violation for over a day before I deleted it.

Edit:

We are not in the business of deciding which political view has merit and which political view does not. We simply don't use LXer as a platform for political discussion.
gus3

Jun 25, 2008
8:05 AM EDT
@Bob:

FWICT, it wasn't you. Don't sweat it.
bigg

Jun 25, 2008
8:16 AM EDT
I posted in the thread and even said I didn't see that it had anything to do with FOSS. I was not the least bit surprised it was deleted, and I don't think it was Bob's post that did it (though I don't remember that post anyway).
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 25, 2008
8:27 AM EDT
It was not Bob's post, it was the subject the thread had become.

If it had been someone in particular, they would know because I would have told them and deleted just their post. But the thread was unrecoverable in my opinion. So I deleted it.

jdixon

Jun 25, 2008
9:04 AM EDT
> But the thread was unrecoverable in my opinion. So I deleted it.

Well, I can't really argue the point. I tried to keep my part factual rather than opinion based, but that doesn't really help much with that particular subject matter.
dinotrac

Jun 25, 2008
9:10 AM EDT
Hey --

It's not too late ---

The Pope is a fairy, Obama's name is really Larry, and McCain is still scary.

Not only is Big Brother watching, he is stealing your girlfriend/boyfriend/Prius.

Just happy to do my part.
tuxchick

Jun 25, 2008
9:11 AM EDT
haha, I shunned dino's dog and hurt his feelings. I win!
Bob_Robertson

Jun 25, 2008
9:18 AM EDT
Oops, I forgot the sarcasm tags...
number6x

Jun 25, 2008
9:19 AM EDT
It was off topic, but I thought we were all pretty civilized. Hopefully there was nothing too offensive to anyone said. That wouldn't be cricket.

We're a pretty reasonable bunch of characters.
dinotrac

Jun 25, 2008
9:24 AM EDT
>We're a pretty reasonable bunch of characters.

Speak for yourself.

As it is, I'm pretty sure my dog doesn't trust you.

It's the "6".
dinotrac

Jun 25, 2008
9:31 AM EDT
TC -

Thanks a lot.

Ya know, that poor pup is only 5 months old and you have to go traumatize him.

His therapist says I should make rude remarks about your mother, but I never could do the dozens. Generally crapped out at elevens, sometimes only nines.

Says you may have planted the seeds of a latent hostility that will burst out some day, causing him to snap at us and maybe steal the car.

That actually happened with the other dog, but he's a Chihuahua and didn't get very far. Kind of cute, actually.

Puppy's starting to look like he'll top out somewhere near 100 lbs of German Shepherd. Won't be cute on him.

Thanks to you, I have to start hiding the car keys. Crap. Where did I put them?

Wait....

What's that in Starbuck's mouth....NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Come back here, puppy! You don't even have a learner's permit!

Gotta run.

gus3

Jun 25, 2008
10:02 AM EDT
Quoting:Not only is Big Brother watching, he is stealing your girlfriend/boyfriend/Prius.
Why would BB want a Prius? To chase down a Segway?
dinotrac

Jun 25, 2008
10:09 AM EDT
-Why would BB want a Prius? To chase down a Segway?

To be mean.

Although, depending on your preferences, stealing your Prius could be seen as a favor.
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 25, 2008
10:17 AM EDT
You guys are hilarious.

You are all right in that the conversation was very civil and non-flame throwing but I have to go back to my original reason that it was the subject matter itself.
number6x

Jun 25, 2008
12:23 PM EDT
Our last dog never drove, I think he expected to be chauffeured. He was a 100 lb Sheppard/lab/golden mix and we were always worried about his safety in the car.

We got this harness for him that would clip into the seatbelt system. We drove about a block and heard "click". There was Newton with his front paws straddling console, half in the front of the car, half in the back making it hard to shift. My wife and I thought, "OH he just stepped on the release button by accident, it will work next time."

Next time a few minutes into the drive, "click". That darn mutt figured out how to unbuckle himself.

Newton used to take my wife's car keys and lay on them when she was getting ready for work. Didn't want her to leave. Good dog Newton. Real smart. Had to put him down after 14 good years.

I never saw him drive, I think he could have, he just expected his servants to do that kind of work for him.

Explain to Starbuck that its your duty to chauffeur him around, and that driving is beneath his station. I have a feeling he'll be good with that

Now we've got Peter, another 100+ lb rescue lab mix. This guy may look like a black lab, but I swear he's a blonde. 2 years old and he still hasn't figured out that his tail is part of his own body!
dumper4311

Jun 25, 2008
1:13 PM EDT
Here you guys go, all off track again. Let me see if I can't set things right.

Blame Bob!!! It's Bob's fault!!!!

Someone get me a pitchfork while I light my torch. We'll have us a proper lynchin' yet, I tell ya!

Dino, bring the dog (when you get the car back). I'd ask #6 to bring Peter, but he'd probably do more harm than good (to everyone involved). I mean the dog, not Number6x, although . . .
number6x

Jun 25, 2008
2:40 PM EDT
dumper,

My last name is Lynch, but I don't really fit the role of executioner very well so Bob is safe.

And Peter's always up for a road trip!
thenixedreport

Jun 25, 2008
3:51 PM EDT
Okay... shameless plug time... :D

I understand that politics is very hard to avoid. Which is why I may be of assistance....

If something gets a little too political, you may want to move it to a different forum altogether. ;)

http://www.thenixedreport.com/mainsite/e107_plugins/forum/fo...

That way, we can avoid more threads getting deleted. Yay! :)
Bob_Robertson

Jun 25, 2008
4:09 PM EDT
Phew!

Lynch, eh?

One of the finest ink-pen line artists, and programmers, I ever met was named Robert Lynch, he was partner in a computer company in Oakland, CA.

Any relation?
number6x

Jun 25, 2008
6:15 PM EDT
Not that I know of, its a pretty common name.

We've got one Lynch who signed the Declaration of Independence, About 11 killed in the twin towers (two of them with the same first name and middle initial as me). Quite a few towns and cities named after us, as well as the unjust hanging thing.

We're not Smiths or Joneses, but its pretty common.
azerthoth

Jun 25, 2008
7:07 PM EDT
Then there was the time I went to work and found my name in the obits. The boss didn't catch the humor when I showed it to him and told him I was calling out dead. Although he did get a chuckle when I realized that if I were dead then he was with me in hell.
number6x

Jun 26, 2008
6:00 AM EDT
If we woke up dead one morning would we know it?

I'd boot my computer and could probably tell from the OS installed if it was Heaven or Hell.

Gives a whole new meaning to Blue Screen of Death.

Come to think of it I do have a Windows computer. It is collecting dust in the same corner of the basement as my Apple IIgs. I hope the GS doesn't feel insulted by the company I make it keep. I think I've booted the GS more often after retirement than the XP box! (The GS has a superdrive capable of reading and writing Prodos/MacOS/Fat16 disks so its invaluable in recovering old data for people)

"Blue Screen of Death" does sound like a cheap Charles Band Horror flick.
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 26, 2008
6:09 AM EDT
Quoting:I'd boot my computer and could probably tell from the OS installed if it was Heaven or Hell.

Gives a whole new meaning to Blue Screen of Death.

Ooh, your good..LOL!!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!