Debian on the Eee

Story: Debian To Replace Xandros on the Eee PC?Total Replies: 6
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 25, 2008
11:31 AM EDT
I would be nice to see Debian preloaded on a big commercial product.

But I'll believe it when I see it. It seems that every distro out there is working on an Eee-friendly port, from OpenBSD and NetBSD all the way to Ubuntu.

Again, Debian would be great.

There will be enough UMPCs out there for more than one distro to grab a piece of the market.

What do you think the upcoming Dell E is going to run? (Dell canceled their meeting with me for this Tuesday, for reasons unknown to me, so I didn't get a chance to ask).
jdixon

Jun 25, 2008
12:17 PM EDT
> What do you think the upcoming Dell E is going to run?

If I had to guess, I'd guess the new version of Ubuntu they've been working on for this type of device.
number6x

Jun 25, 2008
2:56 PM EDT
I wonder if there is a fee for running Xandros? That might be a motivation for, at least, toying with Debian.

Asus seems to have a very good track record of supporting Linux. I have been happy with their motherboards, and the Linux laptop vendors seem to favor their laptops. Lenovo also does a good job, but I think that was IBM driven originally.

If your laptop works with Debian or slack, chances are it will work with almost any other Linux out there.
azerthoth

Jun 25, 2008
5:04 PM EDT
*shameless plug*

The current (Beta) Sabayon installer has the Eee as an install option already. The official "stable" release is only a few (~2) weeks away from developer scuttle butt.

So Sabayon lands yet another first, yay!!
thenixedreport

Jun 25, 2008
8:22 PM EDT
You and your Sabayon. :P
gus3

Jun 25, 2008
9:06 PM EDT
*mumble mumble grumble*

@number6x:

Yes, IBM sold their laptop division to Lenovo.
vainrveenr

Jun 26, 2008
10:11 AM EDT
Quoting:I would be nice to see Debian preloaded on a big commercial product.

But I'll believe it when I see it. It seems that every distro out there is working on an Eee-friendly port, from OpenBSD and NetBSD all the way to Ubuntu.
Certainly Ubuntu, and for good reason. It may not be the basic core-distro itself that matters most on UMPCs (Debian in this case), but rather how effectively and smoothly the more custom-developed distros based upon these can be tailored to work perfectly on UMPCs "right-out-of-the-box" so to speak. The various flavors of Ubuntu plus Xandros are of course such custom-developed distros based upon Debian.

Quoting:Again, Debian would be great.
And probably ALSO great would be the less-commercial offsprings of Debian such as the highly DistroWatch.com-ranked Linux Mint, Damn Small Linux, and Dreamlinux. Even as this is written, the distribution release of sidux 2008-02 has been just rolled; sidux a desktop Linux distribution based on Debian's unstable branch 'sid' ( see http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=04964 ).

A potentially lingering issue for UMPC users with Debian itself and some Debian-derived distros such as sidux, is last month's reported CVE-2008-0166 OpenSSL vulnerability. Yes, there are fixes for this vulnerability, such as reported by this thread's author at http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/103054/. At the same time, can one reasonably guess that upcoming Slackware-derived distros -- competing with Debian-based ones here -- may also target UMPCs? Slackware-based Vector Linux 5.9-SOHO-DELUXE has been released just as of this writing and new releases of Zenwalk and GoblinX have already come out during the last week alone.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!