bravo Glyn Moody

Story: Sir Bill and Sir Tim: A Tale of Two KnightsTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
tuxchick

Jul 02, 2008
7:01 AM EDT
Quoting: So by all means celebrate Bill Gate's transition to philanthropy, but remember where that money came from, and how it was gained. And let us remember, too, someone else who was knighted for his services to computing, but who won't be giving away tens of billions of pounds to the world's needy over the next few decades, because he never extracted them from the system in the first place. Unlike Sir William Gates III, Sir Tim Berners-Lee decided to make his platform completely open and completely free, not to devote every breath first to creating and then to shoring up a global monopoly based around it.

I venture to suggest Berners-Lee is rather more worthy of the kind of encomiums that are being penned in these days, and that the world would be a better place if we all tried to emulate his generosity and humility rather than Bill Gates's more spectacular, more entertaining, but ultimately more selfish, approach.
number6x

Jul 02, 2008
7:29 AM EDT
That's also besides the fact that Tim Berners-Lee is a British subject. I always find it disturbing when citizens of the US of A accept Knighthoods(even just an honorary one).

It just shouldn't be done in proper society.

No offense to any Brits out there. I don't mean to insult the institutions of *BE (MBE, OBE, CBE, GBE).

I just think it is impolite for Americans to seek or accept this honor. Although we are strong allies today, we have fought two wars against the British directly, as well as their support of the Confederacy in our civil war (This support was driven by Britain's economic interest in cotton, not support of slavery).

Accepting the honor (should I say honour?) of a knighthood just seems like an insult to those who fought to establish the US and those who fought to keep it free. I'm glad to lend the British a hand in securing their own freedom in the World Wars and continuing in NATO, as I'm sure the British would be the first ally at our side if our freedom was threatened. But I just think that knights of the Empire should at least be part of the Empire.
gus3

Jul 02, 2008
8:34 AM EDT
Well, Paul McCartney is a "Sir" as well.
jdixon

Jul 02, 2008
9:15 AM EDT
> Well, Paul McCartney is a "Sir" as well.

Paul is also British, not American.

> I just think it is impolite for Americans to seek or accept this honor.

Agreed.
salparadise

Jul 02, 2008
10:52 AM EDT
They're just bit's of tin with a pretty ribbon on one end. I can't see the point myself. They give them to any old Charlie these days - chat show hosts, faded pop stars and so on. Nothing to brag about.
jezuch

Jul 02, 2008
12:08 PM EDT
All you libertarians and anarchists out there educated in law and history please correct me if I'm wrong: didn't the US Constitution forbid its citizens from accepting titles like this from foreign states?
number6x

Jul 02, 2008
12:54 PM EDT
Jezuch,

Would you take an answer from a non-libertarian, non-anarchist, non-law or history educated person?

From article 9 of the constitution:

Quoting:No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

From the national archive online: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_trans...

So Bill G. is OK as long as he doesn't take a position in the Federal Government where he is paid (Office of Profit) or appointed (Office of Trust). Even then he can ask Congress for special dispensation.
azerthoth

Jul 02, 2008
1:02 PM EDT
Reading that more closely, dispensation may not be necessary. The operatives being accept and holding, meaning while in such office.

Although I would have serious reservations of conflict of interest were Billy to run even for the office of city dog poo collector.
jdixon

Jul 02, 2008
1:18 PM EDT
> I would have serious reservations of conflict of interest were Billy to run even for the office of city dog poo collector.

Now, now. Bill is an expert on poo. Just look at Windows for proof.
dumper4311

Jul 02, 2008
1:33 PM EDT
>"Now, now. Bill is an expert on poo. Just look at Windows for proof."

All that means is he's an expert on its creation and sale. quite frankly, that sounds pretty much like most politicians to me.
tuxchick

Jul 02, 2008
2:02 PM EDT
Come on, tell me you wouldn't like to see chairman Bill out in the dog park on a hot day with a scooper and sack.
azerthoth

Jul 02, 2008
2:20 PM EDT
Sure would ... as community service, him and boy george picking up trash in the park ... now that would spin me right round.
jezuch

Jul 02, 2008
9:32 PM EDT
Thanks number6x. One thing, though:

Quoting:...without the Consent of the Congress...

Ah, I think Billy's safe then... ;)
gus3

Jul 02, 2008
10:44 PM EDT
@jdixon:

I know; the point is that a Knight in the OBE is not necessarily someone who wears armor and rides a horse. Gallantry seems no longer to be a qualification for the OBE.
jdixon

Jul 03, 2008
7:36 AM EDT
> Gallantry seems no longer to be a qualification for the OBE.

What, you don't consider Paul's recent payout to his former wife to be a gallant action?
gus3

Jul 03, 2008
6:33 PM EDT
I can see it now:

"Honey, file for divorce, say I'm mean to you, and they'll make me a Sir!"
TxtEdMacs

Jul 04, 2008
5:09 AM EDT
It certainly will not be the first time, however, I suspect this thread is missing the real issue.

The knighthood bestowed is the lowest level. Given some of the names that accepted the honour it seems the intent is to reflect back the glory to the bestower. Of more interest would be those that refused, e.g. the physicist Stephen Hawking.

One could argue the point here about whether B. Gates name plays that role. Nonetheless, in the broader public's mind he is significant. So PR trumps counter arguments by those more knowledgeable.

Off the main point, however, previous MS charitable giving was the farce characterized in some posts. That is, giving free computers where the recipients had to pay for the MS software. Nonetheless, I have followed some of the their health research financing of projects. If accurate, they have stepped in where no one else showed interest (malaria) and they are financing high risk research unlikely to be funded by national agencies. However, I credit his wife not Bill, since this was started while he was still heavily engaged at MS and it lacks his style.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!