Installing exe files

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
fleckenschnitte

Aug 21, 2008
2:49 PM EDT
Hi, I purchased an Acer Aspire One with Linux Linpus as operating system. I wanted to install my mobile internet modem but my Linux doesn't open the Autorun.exe file. I am completely new to Linux and the guy in the shop told me it's very easy and to use like Windows. Can anyone tell me how to solve this issue? Thanks!
jdixon

Aug 21, 2008
2:52 PM EDT
What's the brand and model of your "mobile internet modem"?
fleckenschnitte

Aug 21, 2008
2:55 PM EDT
It's from a brand called Huawei... does that help in any way? It's from T-Mobile Austria
fleckenschnitte

Aug 21, 2008
2:56 PM EDT
The model is E270 from Huawei
azerthoth

Aug 21, 2008
3:04 PM EDT
fleckenschnitte, your a tad bit confused it seems. installing windows drivers in linux is much like installing windows drivers into your microwave, pointless. Without some kind of wrapper those drivers wont do you a bit of good.

I ran a quick google search using variations on "linux Huawei e270" with an assortment of other keywords tossed in and came up with many results.
NoDough

Aug 21, 2008
3:08 PM EDT
fleckenschnitte,

Welcome to Linux.

As a little disclaimer up front, I should tell you that LXer is geared toward Linux and related news rather than tech support. Still, I'll try and at least help your understanding a little.

Linux, while very easy to install and use, and similar in function to Windows, is not Windows. The disk that you are attempting to install from contains programs and drivers written very specifically for Windows and they will likely not work in Linux. (There are, however, some exceptions.)

The first course of action is to contact the modem vendor and ask them for help. You will probably hear the sentence, "We don't support Linux."

At that point, you should either A) do research to find out how someone else got the modem working and duplicate their actions, or B) find a Linux geek willing to do that for you.

I wish I could be of more help. Perhaps if you post your location, someone nearby will offer to help you.

By the way, other than the mobile modem problem, how do you like the Aspire One?
fleckenschnitte

Aug 21, 2008
3:29 PM EDT
It's nice little notebook but not of use when I can't connect to the net =/ Will try to find a solution now
Libervis

Aug 21, 2008
3:34 PM EDT
I've found this device mentioned as supported here: http://www.mobilebroadbandrocks.com/linux-support-for-usb-mo... which refers to this page: http://www.betavine.net/bvportal/web/linux_drivers

That's where you can apparently download the driver. Since Linpus is apparently Fedora based it's best to download the one where it says "Fedora Core 8" and try double clicking it to install.

Also, if I deserve a plug for this, you can ask for further help on http://nuxified.org forums. :)

Regards
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 21, 2008
4:23 PM EDT
Also, LinuxQuestions.org is where I started my Linux journey. It is a great place to look up info and ask questions and get help.

You cannot post until you login.