Looking for someone near Wilburton Oklahoma

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 17
Author Content
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 22, 2008
9:55 AM EDT
Tracyanne has an internet friend who lives in Wilburton Oklahoma, who needs some help with her computer. It's a Windows machine that has become infected, and might respond well to a Linux upgrade. tracyanne chatted with her about the idea and she seems interested.

Is there anyone who visit's LXer that lives close to there that could install Linux on her friends computer?
tracyanne

Sep 22, 2008
5:01 PM EDT
Thanks Scott
tracyanne

Sep 22, 2008
7:27 PM EDT
I know there are some LUGs nearby, in Oklahoma City and Tulsa
azerthoth

Sep 22, 2008
7:38 PM EDT
I'll be in Oklahoma City for a month starting on Oct 7th.

on an aside, Scott, my sister just moved to Phoenix, so there may well come a time when I get to stop in and listen to you 'bang on the drums all day'. No visits there scheduled atm though.
tracyanne

Sep 22, 2008
7:48 PM EDT
@az, will you be there for long?
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 22, 2008
8:04 PM EDT
Very cool az..let me know when you are coming..
azerthoth

Sep 22, 2008
8:07 PM EDT
From Oct 7 until Nov 7.

Ouch, just looked at Google maps, looks like your friend is about 170 miles from where I'll be. Thats a ~3 hour drive one way. I'll do it, but a follow up visit is probably out of the question. The nearest town of any size closer to her is Ft. Smith, Arkansas. It's a little less than half the distance than from OKC.

Let me know.
tracyanne

Sep 22, 2008
8:33 PM EDT
only 170 miles, that's just down the road from an Australian POV. But I reckon Arkansas could be the go, Wilburton is fairly close to the Arkansas border.
tracyanne

Sep 24, 2008
5:05 PM EDT
@az, please contact me privately.
tracyanne

Sep 27, 2008
12:57 AM EDT
You know it's all very disappointing, other than az, and az isn't even from Oklahoma, but just happens to be going there, I've had no offers to help, not even from pemaople with an hour or 2 drive from Wilburton, and I know they exist, because I've actually made contact with them (at least I've sent them emails, or otherwise contacted them via forums they frequent, none of them have bothered to even reply.)

I think Ken is right, there really is no such thing as a Linux community.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 27, 2008
1:42 AM EDT
Now come on tracyanne, there is a Linux Community. It just isn't like most "traditional" ones. Have you posted your request to linuxquestions.org or any number of other sites that you might get a response? If you haven't, then I think it is little presumptuous to all of a sudden say there is "No Linux Community".

If there really wasn't, how would we (as in you and me and everyone else that visits LXer) have ever met? In person or over the Internet?

Please don't take me the wrong way. If I could help your friend, I most certainly would. I know that there are many here who are in the same 'place' I am. I just don't have the wherewithal right now.

I purposely sold my vehicle back in January because 1. I sold it while I could still get money for it because it was slowly dying. 2. I have been using the money saved in car payments and/or upkeep, gas and insurance and I have paid off some old debts, gotten current on my student loans and socked some cash away for a rainy day.

I will be getting a car in November but even if I had one now, I am too far away to get to your friend and back without taking days off I really cannot afford along with everything that comes with going on a road trip. If I can help your friend over the phone or over the Internet, I am most glad too. If I can mail or ship something to them I am glad to as well. Seriously.

tracyanne

Sep 27, 2008
1:57 AM EDT
Quoting:linuxquestions.org or any number of other sites that you might get a response?

Yep. Including Ubuntu forums.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 27, 2008
2:21 AM EDT
Are there any LUG's in her area?

Can her computer get on the Internet? I could remote into it, there are programs like UltraVNC and such that could be used.

If all she needs is a XP install disk I...oh wait...can't say that here...lol...I will e-mail you privately.

tracyanne

Sep 27, 2008
3:19 AM EDT
Quoting:Are there any LUG's in her area?

In Oklahoma City and Tulsa, apparently. I've tried to contact the LUG contact person, but so far all the email addresses I've tried are no longer extant.
jdixon

Sep 27, 2008
9:40 AM EDT
> You know it's all very disappointing, other than az, and az isn't even from Oklahoma,

Well, I'd offer to help, but WV is a bit far from OK. :( Not quite half again the distance from Sydney to Adelaide, according to Google.
bigg

Sep 27, 2008
10:13 AM EDT
Realize that you're talking about an area that isn't exactly heavily populated. It's also not likely to be "Linux country".
azerthoth

Sep 27, 2008
1:20 PM EDT
*chuckle* It is kind of humorous that I'm coming out of the west coast of Alaska (~4000 miles) which ironically is about equidistant for TA (~6000 miles to either where I am or Oklahoma).

On a side note, while there may be LUGs in the OKC area, I have yet to visit with any of them even with the 2-3 months a year I spend there. The only real Linux users in the area I am aware of are the ones that I work with. I'm counting not only Linux there, but AIX and Slowaris as well.
tracyanne

Sep 27, 2008
6:14 PM EDT
There seem to be a number of Ubuntu users, but I've had no response from any of them, even those I know are fairly close... maybe that says something about Ubuntu users...or not.

I'm not sure what help she wants, at the moment, she's my partner's internet friend, and, according to my partner, she's managed to get the virus cleaned out, so she may or may not still be interested in trying Linux.

You cannot post until you login.