hehe

Story: Instant On for Windows 7Total Replies: 7
Author Content
techiem2

Oct 16, 2008
7:23 PM EDT
Quoting:"For Windows 7, a top goal is to significantly increase the number of systems that experience very good boot times. In the lab, a very good system is one that boots in under 15 seconds" Fortin wrote.

I.E. "We want to make the OEMs sell more high end machines with the most expensive version of Windows 7 available"

And for some reason when I see them talking about Instant On I think more of resuming from hibernation than actual boot up...unless they load a thin kernel with ultra-light gui in 8 sec and then you just wait 5 min for the rest of the OS to load....
azerthoth

Oct 16, 2008
8:57 PM EDT
It boots so fast and crashes so often you'll go from POST to Postal in nothing flat.
happyfeet

Oct 17, 2008
12:41 PM EDT
Quoting:POST to Postal

Good one, Az...
rijelkentaurus

Oct 17, 2008
7:09 PM EDT
Windows, even Vista, is very fast, so long as you don't attempt to turn it on or use it to run applications.
tracyanne

Oct 17, 2008
7:27 PM EDT
@rijel I found that to be the case, except on Virtual machines, where it actually seems to work ok.
rijelkentaurus

Oct 18, 2008
12:24 AM EDT
@TA, interesting. I'll have to check out Vistar on a virt and see how it runs. I had to work on a Vistar laptop this evening, it was horrible. Slow boot, slow to install apps. The only upside I see is that it doesn't seem to need rebooted as often as XP when installing.
tracyanne

Oct 18, 2008
12:59 AM EDT
Yeah I've got XP running on VirtualBox on my laptop with 1 Gig of RAM and 128 Meg of Video assigned to the Windows machine, and it runs MS Visual Studio 2008 and MS SQLServer, and the rest of the MS dev tools, including IIS, better than the machine I use at work, which has a 2 Gig of RAM a fairly high end NVidea Video card and a 3.2 Gig Hz cpu - my laptop has a dual core 1.75 Gig hz, but Win XP on the virtual machine thinks it's running on a Single core processor.

On the machine at work I've set XP to use the Win98 style desktop, it's called High performance option or something similar, and it still runs like a three legged dog, whereas on the VBox machine I'm running the full eXPerience desktop, and it's incredibly responsive.

The underlying OS is Mandriva Linux 2008.1.
rijelkentaurus

Oct 18, 2008
12:04 PM EDT
Quoting: The underlying OS is Mandriva Linux 2008.1.

Well, I expected no less. :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!