Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
nehtefa

Oct 22, 2008
1:34 PM EDT
Hi all,

Linux distribution.

-Distribution model. -The package.

Here's the newest business model I run across while investigating into cash gifting. It might also be a nice model to spread the word about linux.

How the reverse backup model works.

Earn commissions from every person you refer to the system, except your second. To compensate that gap, you also earn commissions from every second person that your personal referrals refer to the system. While these second referrals are your reversed backups, they are treated as if they were personal referrals. This means that you now again earn commission on every second person these reversed backups refer and their new reversed backups will again be treated like your personal referrals, ... this is producing an ongoing flow of reversed backups/second referrals being passed back up to you, even if all you did was referring just one single person.

And here's an idea of how it could be applied to distribute linux (free).

Above all, what you need is a package.

The package.

When installing linux you are also provided with free web space, email, blogs, access to groups ....

Your email is your main advertising tool, it contains the link to your web page.

Your web page advertises commission based products. If someone purchases a product through a link on your web page, you and your sponsor earn a commission. In turn you also earn commission on products which your referrals and backups generate.

That's about it. Tell me what you think.

Oh, and who is providing all that free web space?

One idea is that your computer replaces the server. Possible?

nehtefa
jdixon

Oct 22, 2008
1:42 PM EDT
> How the reverse backup model works.

Otherwise known as Mutli-level Marketing. No thanks.

> One idea is that your computer replaces the server. Possible?

Yes, but you still need an Internet service provider and dns service for IP address. None of this works without it.
techiem2

Oct 22, 2008
1:56 PM EDT
Not to mention that most ISPs tend to block port 80 so their customers don't host web servers unless they use nonstandard ports and such.
nehtefa

Oct 22, 2008
4:36 PM EDT
of course we don't get around that I-nternet S-ervice P-rovider but i was told that the D-omain N-ame S-ystem was here just to simplify navigation for the user, and that a site could also be located without dns by simply entering the I-nternet P-rotocol address.

So if you like to visit my_site you would not type http://www.my_site.org but instead enter my IP address. No big deal in the time age of links.

The port 80 story seems a bit more of a disaster. I guess the time isn't quite ripe for free private web hosting plans just yet.

About your concerns regarding M-ulti-L-evel M-arketing.

The reverse back up model, as every other MLM program enables "multiple" people to receive royalties from one person's sales, in this case, your sponsor and yourself.

What's wrong with that?

And if for some reason you don't want to share commissions with your sponsor, simply don't place any advertisements on your page and make sure the second person you refer doesn't refer anyone else.

Nehtefa
jdixon

Oct 22, 2008
4:55 PM EDT
> ...and that a site could also be located without dns by simply entering the I-nternet P-rotocol address.

It can be, but how many people can remember IP addresses? That's why the DNS system exists.

> What's wrong with that?

Are you familiar with the name Ponzi?
azerthoth

Oct 22, 2008
4:58 PM EDT
nehtefa, the problem (rather the legality of MLM) is, that unless you can prove that someone down the line from any given point can (in more than theory) earn more than someone who is directly up the chain, then it is termed a pyramid. Which in the US and most other countries is specifically illegal. Thats a nutshell, but sums it up.

Quoting:The port 80 story seems a bit more of a disaster. I guess the time isn't quite ripe for free private web hosting plans just yet.

No, the time when they allowed unfettered access is over (not for all). This is a case of missing the boat that you werent aware that had ever been built.

BTW, the incessant hyphenating of terms that are self explanatory, really annoying.

Regardless, it's my opinion, that LXer is probably not the arena in which it is appropriate to discuss this. *note* I am holding back alot of rude wording for what I think your idea actually is.
tracyanne

Oct 22, 2008
5:34 PM EDT
As much as I hate pyramid schemes. The idea in principle has some good points. Not however as a way of making money, take a look at the over all idea which is to promote Linux, forget about the money making scam. I'll come back to this later, but right now I have to rush.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 22, 2008
7:22 PM EDT
This post, combined with Dino's excellent post at http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/27968/ gave me an excellent idea: A community website that help people to spread FOSS. There are plenty of websites to introduce people to Linux. Thanks to Ken and a few others there are now websites that collaborate to promote Linux. But what is missing is a place where people can learn how to best convert other users. Where they can share ideas on how to best convert their friends or neighbors. Where they can ask for help. E.g: "Next week I am pitching OpenOffice.org to my boss instead of an upgrade Office 2007. Here are my slides. Please shoot holes in my presentation and suggest improvements".

It can also be a place to post success stories (and failures, so we can learn from them and do better next time). Perhaps have "conversion counters" and what not. A bit like spread firefox worked but aimed more specifically at direct conversion and direct pitches instead of general marketing and Linux awareness.

What do you think?
nehtefa

Oct 22, 2008
8:29 PM EDT
Oh, I was about to edit/rewrite this post but there's already a reply ...

Ok, regardless of where that ship went, and of how difficult it can be to click a link, or cut and paste a couple of numbers into a browser, private web hosting seems to be a stupid idea.

Just to make sure I get it right. Your provider opens port 80, you give me your IP address I paste it into my browser and am taken to your web page while you have neither a host, nor a domain name. ( Should have said ... while you neither pay for a host nor a domain name )

Why would people buy domain names and pay for hosting? Because they all get 1000ds of daily visitors and can't handle their traffic or because their visitors can not remember their address?

Fine, let's not further discuss this, I agree, it was a stupid idea to host your own site on your own computer.

What do you think about the IRC? (international postal reply coupon) Self explanatory.

Quoted:

"unless you can prove that someone down the line from any given point can (in more than theory) earn more than someone who is directly up the chain, then it is termed a pyramid"

Before I explain why the reverse backup plan allows someone down the line to earn more money than someone up the chain, I like to actually tell you that this system is not intended to make money, but that it's purpose is to duplicate and reproduce itself.

How is it that someone down the line makes more money than someone on the top?

Because the system has a flaw. First of all, the reverse back up plan is not a pyramid scheme in the usual sense because for one thing only two people get paid and also the chain can be interrupted by a group of just three people. Get together just three people, and you can split your group off the chain and start a new, independent thread where you basically build the top of the chain without ever having paid a penny. Funds generated in this thread do not pass beyond your group, in other words, your sponsor does not see a penny from your activity. I hope this explains why people who join later can earn more than others who started the program.

Ok, basically I just got here yesterday and already i'm trying to explain that new pyramid schemes are now legal and should be used to promote linux and open source LOL.

Nehtefa
jdixon

Oct 22, 2008
8:47 PM EDT
> Your provider opens port 80, you give me your IP address I paste it into my browser and am taken to your web page while you have neither a host, nor a domain name.

No. You definitely have a host. It's the computer you're storing the content on. That's what host means, It hosts the content or service. You also probably have a domain name. The domain name just isn't registered anywhere. Of course, that address may not even be routable, and may not be static (both the case with many large ISP's).

> and already i'm trying to explain that new pyramid schemes are now legal...

Good luck with that. AFAIK, they're not. People continually try new ones thinking they've found a loophole, but somehow the reality that they're all scams never changes.

I know anytime i see anything that even resembles MLM, I steer well clear.
NoDough

Oct 23, 2008
9:25 AM EDT
IANAL and the following should not be construed at legal advice.

All businesses are pyramids (look at their organizational charts.) IIRC, the litmus test for the legality of a business is-- when money changes hands something of equal value (a product, service, or property (intellectual or otherwise)) must also change hands. If that doesn't happen, hello Mr. Ponzi.

Quoting:...unless you can prove that someone down the line from any given point can (in more than theory) earn more than someone who is directly up the chain, then it is termed a pyramid. Which in the US and most other countries is specifically illegal.
Per the paragraph above, I believe this to be untrue (although, I could be mistaken.) However, true or not, I wouldn't want to be a part of anything that didn't pass this test.

There is nothing wrong with mufti-level marketing as long as it's structure is legal. Those who have gone beyond the law have given others a bad name.
nehtefa

Oct 23, 2008
2:06 PM EDT
Quoted: "A community website that helps people to spread FOSS."

A community website is pretty much exactly what I was thinking as well.

Something similar to what we already have here, at lxer, but showing off a little bit more open source potential.

For example, LXer let's me send mail only internally, why not install qmail?

g2g
jdixon

Oct 23, 2008
2:41 PM EDT
> LXer let's me send mail only internally, why not install qmail?

1) Everyone who come to LXer probably already has email, so they don't need it. 2) The potential for abuse by spammers is enough to give any reasonable person pause. 3) Posting your personal email addresses on LXer also invites spam, so person email on LXer is often the only way to reach another LXer reader.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!