Inflammatory subject

Story: Rock-solid Fedora 10 brings salvation to Ubuntu wearyTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
herzeleid

Nov 25, 2008
9:56 PM EDT
Wow, talk about a subject line with an agenda.

Seriously guys, I'm not weary of ubuntu. It's working fine for me.

Hey, here's a constructive challenge for you: instead of trying to poach linux users from other distros, how about going after some actual converts from other OSes? You know, like, for instance, ms windows....
ColonelPanik

Nov 25, 2008
11:10 PM EDT
herzeleid, Thank you, take the rest of the week off!
herzeleid

Nov 25, 2008
11:59 PM EDT
Thank you colonel, I'm considering doing just that.
bigg

Nov 26, 2008
10:02 AM EDT
I didn't read the article. I don't have to. By definition, any article that describes a brand new Fedora release as "Rock-solid" is stupid. New Fedora releases are always buggy.
jdixon

Nov 26, 2008
10:21 AM EDT
> New Fedora releases are always buggy.

Yeah. I saw the title and was somewhat bemused. Rock solid is not something I would ever use to describe Fedora.
rijelkentaurus

Nov 26, 2008
11:13 AM EDT
Fedora is not meant to be stable, anyone who wants stable and uses Fedora is *bleeping* crazy. Fedora is cutting edge and is a test bed for Red Hat...which is very much "Rock-solid"...and old and moldy soon enough...but that's a grand thing for a server or serious workstation.
jdixon

Nov 26, 2008
11:19 AM EDT
> ...anyone who wants stable and uses Fedora is *bleeping* crazy.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :)
flufferbeer

Nov 26, 2008
2:16 PM EDT
@r*kentaurus, If you haven't already checked this out, then you and others have to look into CentOS. Very stable, its latest release and liveCD came out recently, and it is based upon Red Hat without its being Red Hat's Alpha or Beta-test.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 26, 2008
2:18 PM EDT
I'm running CentOS 5.2 on one box, and this RHEL clone is definitely stable. It's also a pain to get a lot of software on it. Even the DAG repository didn't have a lot of what I wanted.

Fedora, however, has a much more consumer-friendly repository with lots of packages that I'd tend to install in Debian or Ubuntu.

What Fedora needs to do is a) figure out what it's mission is (is it to be a Guinea pig for RHEL? Recruiting tool for RHEL? Draw for developers? Flash-grenade taking eyes away from free RHEL clones?

and b) Really try to promote what Fedora is all about and what it can do for users

and c) Seriously consider an Ubuntu-style LTS release. The option of a three-year Fedora distro would draw more users. It might eat a little RHEL lunch, but not all of it, and it would get a whole lot more people using Fedora.
rijelkentaurus

Nov 26, 2008
2:43 PM EDT
@f*beer, yep, love me some CentOS. Configure it with the Dag repos and it actually makes a pretty good jukebox (AKA, regular desktop).

@Steven, Ubuntu's LTS is meant for enterprises, Fedora is not meant for that, Red Hat is. RH is supported for 7 years after the initial release, two more than Ubuntu. Fedora's approx. 13 month support cycle, IMO, is more than adequate. People shouldn't be using Fedora on a server or workstation that can't take such a short cycle, they should be using something meant for the long haul.
herzeleid

Nov 26, 2008
3:04 PM EDT
> Ubuntu's LTS is meant for enterprises

Yes it is - and it's also just splendid for my home servers. Since it's not only free speech but also free beer, and supported for 5 years, where would it *not* be a good fit in these cash strapped times?
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 26, 2008
3:07 PM EDT
Red Hat is a big company, and I'm just some blathering blogger, but I fail to see how there's nothing for the potential RH/Fedora customer between charging thousands for RHEL on the server for a 7-year-cycle and nothing for Fedora for a 13-month cycle (or CentOS, which RH doesn't have any control over).

RH could open up a whole new segment with a Fedora LTS. Even OpenSUSE releases get something like two years of support. Why doesn't Fedora match that? The project supposedly is exploding with volunteers -- you'd think those volunteers would like to make what they do all that more valuable by matching Ubuntu's LTS (or SUSE's long-enough 2 years).

Just a thought ...
azerthoth

Nov 26, 2008
3:07 PM EDT
Of course the headline could be read a second way as well, a reprieve from Linux headlines that incessantly include Ubuntu in the title.
rijelkentaurus

Nov 26, 2008
3:08 PM EDT
@herzeleid, good points. CentOS is great for the same reasons.
machiner

Nov 28, 2008
5:33 PM EDT
@Steven_R -- what's with this "consumer-friendly" b*llsh*t. Linux users aren't "consumers", we're people, citizens.
rijelkentaurus

Nov 28, 2008
6:21 PM EDT
@machiner, clean up your language, please.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!